Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there varying degrees of Atheism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

pauldla wrote: »
    Did you ever hear that story about the two naked people in the garden with the talking reptile? Or about the lad with the boat and all the animals? Or the lad with the long hair who was really strong? Or the one about the dead people walking about Jerusalem with not a bother on them? Or yer man who saw God's arse? Or the one about the seven-headed dragon messing with the stars?

Stelliferous means having something to do with the stars, by the way. I looked it up. Isn't it an education coming here?

It certainly is an education alright Paul. You can learn loads of things except any sensible explanation of how it all came about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

It certainly is an education alright Paul. You can learn loads of things except any sensible explanation of how it all came about.

Perhaps you could define sensible, and rank notions such as the big bang, continuous state and various creationist mythologies accordingly. Putting scientific theory aside, how would you rank Hindu, Christian, and Taoist creation stories in terms of which is most sensible?

smacl wrote: »
    Perhaps you could define sensible, and rank notions such as the big bang, continuous state and various creationist mythologies accordingly. Putting scientific theory aside, how would you rank Hindu, Christian, and Taoist creation stories in terms of which is most sensible?

You see there you go, this is what atheism is all about. Instead of coming up with a credible alternative it just dismisses the possibility of a higher or greater power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I'm a level 14 atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Back to the 'don't know' on that one Dan (and I've just realised that your username isn't a planet from Star Wars), with an added 'but they're looking into it' (as outlined in part by our esteemed correspondent above).

Why is 'don't know' such a big deal, if I may ask? Why do you have such a strong need to know 'how it all came about'? Speaking for myself I do find the question fascinating, but with or without knowing isn't going to affect my relationship with my family, how I do my job, what I eat or read or watch on TV, etc. Why is 'don't know' so unpalatable, and what consequences do you see not knowing having on your life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

My atheism level goes all the way up to 11. :)

pauldla wrote: »
    Back to the 'don't know' on that one Dan (and I've just realised that your username isn't a planet from Star Wars), with an added 'but they're looking into it' (as outlined in part by our esteemed correspondent above).

Why is 'don't know' such a big deal, if I may ask? Why do you have such a strong need to know 'how it all came about'? Speaking for myself I do find the question fascinating, but with or without knowing isn't going to affect my relationship with my family, how I do my job, what I eat or read or watch on TV, etc. Why is 'don't know' so unpalatable, and what consequences do you see not knowing having on your life?
    'Don't know' is fine with me. Its when 'dont know' becomes 'therefore no one else should believe' that I have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

'Don't know' is fine with me. Its when 'dont know' becomes 'therefore no one else should believe' that I have a problem.

No one's telling you what to believe, but what you believe is not an explanation for anything.

If you have a problem with people challenging your beliefs, why exactly post on an atheist forum? To me it seems to be to assert the veracity of your own beliefs, and call into question the atheists absence of similar belief. As such, you've just done exactly what you have a problem with others doing, i.e. proslytism.

You see there you go, this is what atheism is all about. Instead of coming up with a credible alternative it just dismisses the possibility of a higher or greater power.

Nope. Atheism is simply not believing in a god or gods. No more, no less. When I don't know something, I don't plump for some random fantasy and call it the indisputable truth, rather I own up to my ignorance. I dismiss the likelihood of a higher or greater power as, in the absence of any supporting evidence, it is simply one of an infinite set of possible fantasies being true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

But you see you're almost confusing atheism as a religion, it's not, it doesn't have a belief set, it's not a doctrine, it's simple, if you're an atheist you don't believe in god, easy peasy.

Why would anyone have to come up with a 'credible alternative' to a higher power, surely the burden of proof lies with those who are making extraordinary claims without evidence.

We'd all love to know exactly how we got here and maybe someday in the near or distance future scientists will provide some very definite answers but just remember the universe doesn't owe us answers and the god of the gaps is certainly not a credible answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I have missed something, perhaps? Who has been telling you what to believe? You asked about alternative theories about the origin of the universe and expressed an interest in the subject; the matter has been discussed, possibilities offered and insights proffered, which you dismissed as nonsense - wasn't that the word? - and admitted you couldn't get far into it without falling asleep, presumably out of boredom.

You ask about the mysteries of the origins of the universe and then you're bored?

En route we've picked up one or two other questions, one of which I would definitely like to know more about (formally leaving the Catholic Church). Would you like to address any of them, or shall we return now to our scheduled programme?

Trivia: I'm reminded of a quote from a movie: "You're shown the mysteries of the universe and you're bored!" Name the move and actor for five points! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fair enough, there's plenty of ways to say it but absence is a better word than lack.

You're just unlucky that it was your post that I was reading when that thought crossed my mind :) it's a very common expression, and people use it out of habit, and I have done myself. But when you think about it, it's almost the same as 'lack of faith' which religionists use and defintely imply that such a person is deficient in some way.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

You're just unlucky that it was your post that I was reading when that thought crossed my mind :) it's a very common expression, and people use it out of habit, and I have done myself. But when you think about it, it's almost the same as 'lack of faith' which religionists use and defintely imply that such a person is deficient in some way.

No harm done at all, I was just using the word lack sort of mindlessly, the word absent is definitely more appropriate.

ha ye I love when the religious accuse us atheists of being deficient in some way, so basically people who don't believe 100% in something which provides 0% evidence are the deficient ones, hilarious logic altogether.

ha ye I love when the religious accuse us atheists of being deficient in some way, so basically people who don't believe 100% in something which provides 0% evidence are the deficient ones, hilarious logic altogether.

OK,lets say I have two apples and you have none. Therefore wouldnt you be deficient in apples? So if I have a faith that I believe sets me apart from Shep and Daisy and you don't,then don't you ha ve a defieiency?

OK,lets say I have two apples and you have none. Therefore wouldnt you be deficient in apples? So if I have a faith that I believe sets me apart from Shep and Daisy and you don't,then don't you ha ve a defieiency?

In this case I would be deficient if I was making an apple tart yes........sorry what exactly does your point to do with the debate?

What you're apparently attempting to say is that not having something makes you deficient, doesn't that make belief in god without proof by your very definition deficient :-)

Getting back to the debate as you call it.
    There are varying degrees of atheism.There are those like yourself who are firm athists and then there are those who have no firm beliefs or interest one way or the other. In general I would find I have more in common with true atheists than I would have with those who couldn't be ar$ed one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The last few pages have made it clear that you're talking at cross purposes.

Dan is asking for a scientific theory and an explanation of that theory. The theories and explanations are incomplete which is acknowledged by everyone on this thread. Because the explanations are too difficult to understand and are incomplete, Dan has decide that they can be summarily dismissed. On the other hand is the theological hypothesis that 'God did it' which has absolutely no explanation which makes them very easy to understand as they are presented because there is nothing to understand. 'God did it by magic, the end'.

So Dan, the information you keep asking for is how the universe came into being in theory and explanation. Under the 'God did it' hypothesis, how did God do it?

Getting back to the debate as you call it.
    There are varying degrees of atheism.There are those like yourself who are firm athists and then there are those who have no firm beliefs or interest one way or the other. In general I would find I have more in common with true atheists than I would have with those who couldn't be ar$ed one way or the other.

Haha firm atheist, ok so, whatever you're having yourself lad.

There are those[...]who are firm atheists = those who have no firm beliefs...

FYP. To summarise, atheists have no firm beliefs.

• Advertisement

The last few pages have made it clear that you're talking at cross purposes.

Dan is asking for a scientific theory and an explanation of that theory. The theories and explanations are incomplete which is acknowledged by everyone on this thread. Because the explanations are too difficult to understand and are incomplete, Dan has decide that they can be summarily dismissed. On the other hand is the theological hypothesis that 'God did it' which has absolutely no explanation which makes them very easy to understand as they are presented because there is nothing to understand. 'God did it by magic, the end'.

So Dan, the information you keep asking for is how the universe came into being in theory and explanation. Under the 'God did it' hypothesis, how did God do it?
    thats a fair enough assessment dude. When I get a bit of time I will give my understanding on it bearing in mind that I don't do long winded posts.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    FYP. To summarise, atheists have no firm beliefs.
    Do most of ye work in solicitors offices or something that ye feel the need to pick every word and sentence to pieces just to show that ye can.

Do most of ye work in solicitors offices or something that ye feel the need to pick every word and sentence to pieces just to show that ye can.

No. Most of me works in the home.
    The rest of me is an idle layabout who fecks about on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

thats a fair enough assessment dude. When I get a bit of time I will give my understanding on it bearing in mind that I don't do long winded posts.

I think you sold me a dummy there Dan. Touche. You got me.

Forgot what it's worth there was a guy on the 'Atheist Experience' podcast today with almost exactly your point about how the universe came into existence. He didn't share your fondness for bervity but he did share your tendency to think God was a credible explanation for something and an inability to see 'I don't know' as a legitimate answer to questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

TBH I got as far as 'stelliferous' before I nodded off.
    I have yet to meet anyone who can provide an explanation that doesn't get lost in completely meandering gobbledegook other than creation by a higher power .

OK, let's try this again, shall we?

The first thing we need to do is sort out the misunderstandings you have about what it is you're railing against. It is clear from this post of yours in AH:
    Maybe its my fault and I am not keeping things simple enough for you but the fact is there is NO,ZILCH,ZERO, hard evidence to support the big bang theory despite billions having been spent on it.

that you don't understand the difference what the big bang theory is or the difference between cosmology and cosmogony.

OK, firstly a word about the word theory. I know that in everyday use the word theory is synonymous with the word guess or hunch or something that is generally unproven. However, that is not the sense in which this word is used in science. A theory is the highest level of confidence which science can attain. A theory is a hypothesis which has been demonstrated to be correct through evidence. A theory is, in simple terms, an idea which has been proven through testing.

Next, a quick synopsis of the big bang theory. The Big Bang describes a point in time roughly 13 billion years ago (13.798 +/- 0.037 billion to be precise), when the universe only existed as a point of energy of infinite density and zero size. It suddenly expanded and as it expanded and cooled, matter began to form and eventually formed all the stars and planets.
    You see, before the start of the 20th century, the generally accepted view was that the universe was in a steady, unchanging state pervaded by a substance called the luminiferous aether. Then, early in the 20th century, two things happened which caused people to doubt the accepted view. One of these was Edwin Hubble's astronomical observations that distant galaxies were moving away from us. More importantly, though, he observed that the further away a galaxy was, the faster it seemed to be moving away.
    The other was a model of the universe developed by Alexander Friedmann in 1922. In 1905, Albert Einstein published a paper (On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies) which posited that the laws of physics should appear to be the same to all freely moving observers. Friedmann then constructed a model based on this assumption and another which stated that the universe should appear the same in all directions. With these two simple assumptions, Friedmann came up with a solution to Einstein's equations which showed that the universe was expanding.
    Following on from these two initial advances, in 1927 a Belgian priest named Georges Lemaitre expanded on the ideas of Hubble and Friedmann and developed a model which traced Hubble's observations of diverging galaxies backwards in time. He argued that since everything was accelerating away from each other in the present, then in the past they must have been closer together. At some point in the past, therefore, everything in the universe must have occupied the same point in space and then expanded outward from that. This is the Big Bang theory.
    Once the theory had been formulated it was confirmed by a number of experimental tests. One of these was Hubble's analysis of red shift patterns of distant galaxies in 1929. Another was the discovery of the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMBR), a key prediction of the theory, in 1964.
    The Big Bang theory is the most tested and the best supported theory in all of science. It has passed every test we've ever thrown at it.

The problem you have is that you're confusing the explanation for what caused the Big Bang with the Big Bang itself. We know that the universe expanded from an initial hot dense energy state in the Big Bang. What we don't know is what caused the big bang in the first place. And when I say we don't know, I mean we can't know, at least with our current level of technology. Nobody can possibly know what caused the big bang and so, it is silly to just posit an answer like "God did it" just because you'd like an answer. As Richard Feynman once said: "I think it's much more interesting not to know than to have answers which might be wrong."

Anyway, in the post I responded to previously, you asked for a plausible explanation of what could have caused the big bang. I gave you one. If you can't follow that either through ignorance or because you can't be ar$ed, well that's not really my fault.

Finally, if you want to present your evidence for God as the things science can't explain, remember that 200 years ago we couldn't explain things like retrograde orbits. But we can now. If your evidence for God is a list of all the things that science doesn't know then your evidence is going to keep getting smaller and smaller and smaller. Here's Neil deGrasse Tyson explaining it better than me:

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    If your evidence for God is a list of all the things that science doesn't know then your evidence is going to keep getting smaller and smaller and smaller.

Not sure that's actually true, as what we learn continually leads us to ask more questions. As such, the amount we don't know can be broken down into the things we know we don't know and the questions we haven't even begun to ask or may never ask. The god of the gaps argument is only reasonable if the entirety of what there is to know can become known before mankind dies out. I don't think this is likely as you have a potentially infinite number on one side of the equation and a probably finite number on the other. Even if if our universe were entirely deterministic, that doesn't make it knowable by anything within the universe. I would suggest knowledge gaps are inevitable.

smacl wrote: »
    Not sure that's actually true, as what we learn continually leads us to ask more questions. As such, the amount we don't know can be broken down into the things we know we don't know and the questions we haven't even begun to ask or may never ask. The god of the gaps argument is only reasonable if the entirety of what there is to know can become known before mankind dies out. I don't think this is likely as you have a potentially infinite number on one side of the equation and a probably finite number on the other. Even if if our universe were entirely deterministic, that doesn't make it knowable by anything within the universe. I would suggest knowledge gaps are inevitable.
    I couldn't have put it better myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭LiamNeeson

Why do atheists dislike Christianity when your country was formed by Christianity, the borders of your country stem from Catholicism

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

LiamNeeson wrote: »
    Why do atheists dislike Christianity when your country was formed by Christianity, the borders of your country stem from Catholicism
    I think you'll find that the borders of Ireland were formed by sea action, while the political borders were chosen by land owners and administrators of one kind or another.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭LiamNeeson

robindch wrote: »
    I think you'll find that the borders of Ireland were formed by sea action, while the political borders were chosen by land owners and administrators of one kind or another.

It was the English who created the borders yes but it was Roman Catholicism which formed the Irish republic state.

Advertisement