Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Wrestling News & Rumours 2019 Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

martyos121 wrote: »
    Looks like Ronda Rousey won't be fighting this July or anytime soon according to Dana White, is it possible she could work Mania now I wonder? As both an MMA and pro wrestling fan I'd mark out like hell to see her wrestle a match, but I'm not sure it's what a lot of the traditional wrestling fans would want. What do ye think, good or bad to see her compete in the squared circle?

I said this before but her next ppv appearance will be against Holly Holm UFC aren't morons who'll let WWE use her for a match when she is shooting 2 movies in her time off. She'll wrestle in a few years she is far too busy now. Not everybody would do what the Rock is doing but fans don't see that.

SMACKDOWN
    I see Del Rio beat Kalisto on Smackdown for the US Title.....I'd criticise that but it makes sense in the current haven't a clue what they are doing wwe climate

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

https://twitter.com/AirCanadaCentre/status/688065768425062400

Brock to Wrestle in Canada (March 12th) for what is billed by the stadium as a WWE Network Special.

I guess we get Brock v Owens here??

I expect him to be v league of Nations come Mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Strikes me that a Brock V Sheamus, Rusev & Del Rio match has nothing to it. I wouldn't hold your breath. Owens might be a more likely opponent at Mania, in truth.

Monokne wrote: »
    Strikes me that a Brock V Sheamus, Rusev & Del Rio match has nothing to it. I wouldn't hold your breath. Owens might be a more likely opponent at Mania, in truth.

Have you read/heard anything about a likely mania plan for him?

There have been whispers of him v Owens from PWInsider. Meltzer says there's been people pitching for it but it isn't in the plans.

I'd prefer Owens - Taker myself. Owens over. Not holding my breath either :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

There have been whispers of him v Owens from PWInsider. Meltzer says there's been people pitching for it but it isn't in the plans.

I'd prefer Owens - Taker myself. Owens over. Not holding my breath either :-)

I could never buy Taker beating Owens so I'd agree with you on him going over if that match were to happen. It's unlikely but who else could Taker face at this stage? Reigns is busy with HHH, Cena is hurt, Orton is hurt, Brock and Wyatt have already faced him and most of the roster aren't credible enough to face him.

That leaves Finn Balor and Y2J in my opinion, as well as Kevin Owens of course. Out of those three, I'd pick a heel, suit-and-tie Jericho for the build-up alone. When they aren't jobbing him out, he's a big star who can produce a terrific feud.

I feel like Jericho's star power has been severely diminished in the past few years. The Fandango feud really defined him as a mid carder, and it feels like that has been hammered home since he returned. However, it was pointed out to me that the 'ROOTY TOOTY BOOTY' catchphrase and the whole presentation of him is so incredibly bad that it's probably a precursor to a heel run. It might be a stretch from where he is to a top Wrestlemania match, but considering the lack of starpower, I guess I can see that match.

Balor is working Zayn Mania weekend, and Gallows & Anderson are scheduled to debut a few weeks earlier which I'm sure is related to that, so he's out. Plus he'd be a really poor fit to work Taker or Brock given he'd have to be a heel and he's comparatively tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yeah I get what you mean about Finn not having the size to threaten Taker on his own, I was mainly basing it off the fact that he's arguably one of the biggest stars in the company even though he isn't on the main roster, and any fan that's ever seen NXT can believe that match and believe that Finn could win it. Owens is a big guy too and Finn went over him in Japan for the title as clean as whistle IIRC.

Finn is almost certainly out for this year, but if Taker had another Mania in him, himself and Kane vs. The Bullet Club at 33 would blow my mind tbh.

Freddie Prinze Jr said something I'd not heard before on Jerichos podcast this week. He said Vince had opined to him on several occasions that he was hesitant to push smaller guys in top positions because he believed they were more fragile and injury prone. So on top of his muscle fetish, he also believes small guys are unreliable. There really is no hope of any change until Vince steps aside or passes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

He said Vince had opined to him on several occasions that he was hesitant to push smaller guys in top positions because he believed they were more fragile and injury prone.

Relatively smaller guys he's pushed :
    Rey
    Bryan
    Benoit
    Guerrero
    Michaels (for the era, retired in 98)

I can't think of any others right now (angle?).
    It's not totally around, but a belief that smaller and regular sized guys are more likely to build up injuries (considering how they've to do more to stand out), isn't without merit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Rey
    Bryan
    Benoit
    Guerrero

It's not totally around, but a belief that smaller and regular sized guys are more likely to build up injuries (considering how they've to do more to stand out), isn't without merit.

Other then Michaels who's six foot one, had they really pushed those guys? Yes Bryan got his moment at WM 30 but looked how he was booked after it. A boring feud with Kane, where he was made to look weak.
    Rey was the worst booked Champ that I can recall in a major company. Lost to everyone and was made to look so weak.
    Guerrero was a big star on Smackdown but his title run wasn't much. Losing it to JBL soon after. I know Eddie felt the pressure of being the Champ but if they had some proper Heel's to feud with it might have help.
    Chris again was put into a boring feud with Kane, while HHH was the top star through out.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Benoit and Guerrero were freakishly roided-up.

It really pains me to say it, but I think best option for 'Taker this year is a feud with Kane. It's as placeholder as it gets but it's not the worst fallback I suppose.

This is why I'll never be bookerman.

Smaller guys do get injured.

So do big Guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Other then Michaels who's six foot one

That's his wrestling height. There's no way he's 6' 1", he's rumored to be about 5' 11"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Rollins would be considered a small guy would he not?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,498 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jim Ross might be getting back into the commentary booth with AXS TV for NJPW commentary.

Edit; Update from Ross himself on his blog
    The bottom line is my camp and AXSTV have had talks over the last couple of months and there is a mutual interest to do business together but we have yet to finalize our agreement. As of Saturday morning, I was told that the "lawyers are reviewing the revised points on the contract." If we can all get on the same page, of which I am optimistic that we can, then we can get every thing signed and move forward to another exciting chapter of my broadcasting career. To be able to get back in the game is something that excites me and to be able to call such a fundamentally sound, athletic presentation like NJPW motivates me.

http://www.jrsbarbq.com/blog/axstv-rumors-austin-stuns-ross-report-podcast-hobdallas-tkts-selling-briskly-qas-updated-find

Rey
    Bryan
    Benoit
    Guerrero

Bigger guys he's pushed
    Big Dave
    Hunter
    Taker
    Sid
    Randy
    Mark Henry

There's nothing in this. I mean it's well known that steroid guys are more prone to tearing muscles as we saw with Hunter, Dave, Christ Masters etc. But still, I would not be obtuse enough to pretend there is a statistical difference in who gets hurt more, big guys or small guys. There just isn't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Seems to be a lot of chatter about this.
    Several months ago, former ROH and TNA champion Austin Aries was seen backstage at a WWE NXT taping. Since then, there's been no concrete word on whether Aries was going to work for the company or even had been offered a deal. PWInsider.com has confirmed that Aries was seen this week in Pittsburgh with the belief being that he was there to undergo WWE's medical screening process. So, he and WWE are obviously in the midst of working out a deal, something that went under the radar with all the attention the Bullet Club and others have been receiving.

With a big WWE NXT TV taping and The Royal Rumble coming up this weekend, it should be very interesting to see if Aries shows up at either event. We will update ASAP.

On top of the NJPW signings this would be awesome and open up so many possibilities for great feuds / matches. Let's hope it's true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Looks like that Tough Enough chap is making friends fast. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Ruu wrote: »
    Looks like that Tough Enough chap is making friends fast. :)

Emulating tough enough's most famous alumni The Miz he will be getting changed in the hallway soon (Cody/Stardust FTW)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Alumnus. Alumni is plural fyi. No American seems to ever know this either!

Seems to be a lot of chatter about this.

On top of the NJPW signings this would be awesome and open up so many possibilities for great feuds / matches. Let's hope it's true

Hopefully he is and is NXT champ by the time my draft writing rolls around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I'd be a lot more excited about Austin Aries coming in than A.J Styles without the Bullet Club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

• Registered Users Posts: 23,150 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Sunny Side Up: Through The Backdoor."

Sounds like it'll be a real classy piece of erotica.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Pentecost

There's literally nothing she won't do for money these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

J. Marston wrote: »
    "Sunny Side Up: Through The Backdoor."

Sounds like it'll be a real classy piece of erotica.

Christ. I expect she'll be wearing some of her Sunny ring gear so.

Edit: there's a preview video out already. I watched it, purely for eh, scientific purposes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Christ. I expect she'll be wearing some of her Sunny ring gear so.

Edit: there's a preview video out already. I watched it, purely for eh, scientific purposes

Share that via pm Gerry :D

• Advertisement

The company she signed for it's on there front page.

It's quiet sad really.

I still watched it thought lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement