Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

OK Curran, Carpro advice.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

vectra wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks for the compliment.
    She is the 150 high line manual.
    I added business edition
    Sports pack
    Heated front screen.

Be careful with the 190 because as far as I am aware it uses adblu.
    The 150 doesn't.

I actually saw an estate passing through my home town a few weeks back.
    It was in Tungsten silver with q roof box on it.
    I could swear the roof box was for coded.
    I was in awe.
    Stunning looking car.

But st of luck with it.

Forgive my ignorance but whats adblu? There's a lovely white estate 161 on carzone with the R-line exterior, looks gorgeous but a little too much I think compared to yours. The tech pack looks good with the computer display for speedometer etc. Can't go wrong for €161!

What do you get with sports pack apart from leather seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Adblue is a liquid additive used to control emissions of Diesel engines. It is injected into the exhaust near the catalytic converter to help lower NOx emissions. It's used a lot on commercial vehicles. You might see a flap on buses where it is filled, that looks like a fuel filler flap of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Wailin wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance but whats adblu? There's a lovely white estate 161 on carzone with the R-line exterior, looks gorgeous but a little too much I think compared to yours. The tech pack looks good with the computer display for speedometer etc. Can't go wrong for €161!

What do you get with sports pack apart from leather seats?

Business edition edition give the 8" discover pro head unit and led heads.

Sports pack gives napoa leather and 18" alloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Ryath

Hi Vectra lovely car. I have a new white Leon FR on the way the way so was having a look here to see what products to get to keep it clean. Your thread shows me it really is worth putting the effort in initially. Thinking of going with your options of using CarPro CQUK.

Wouldn't be the best for keeping on top of the cleaning but want to look after the new car right. Currently just use 1 bucket with turtle wax shampoo cheap microfibre mit and garden hose. Realise now I really need to start using the two bucket method, better products and get a decent power washer/snow foam lance.

Been reading a good bit and was wondering maybe would it be worth bringing to Spirit to get an initial coating done. Pretty pricey for me at the minute though after paying for the car, starting at €450 then €550 for a better coating. Only about 45mins for me go to Lexlip but would be a lot of hassle for two/ three days. He'll obviously do a far better job than I can.

I still reckon I can do a pretty good job and the cost would be less than half of going to Spirit even with having to buying all kit and a lot of I'd still have to buy after going to them. I do have a shed I can clear out out if the weather isn't suitable. Know it will be a solid days work but worth the effort in the long run.

Was wondering did you take the alloys of the car to coat them? Suppose I can do one wheel at a time or I can borrow some stands and do two at a time.

Hi Curran any idea when you'll be getting CarPro Cquartz back in? Few others out of stock too IronX and Reload. Car is possibly coming next week probably though the week after so would like to get an order in.

Hi Ryath.

Congrats with the new car.

Brian at Spirit does a sensational job in fairness to the man.
    But if it is awkward for you to leave the car overnioght etc, You would build up a very decent kit yourself to do the car.
    The plus being you will have your kit to amintain it afterwards.
    Foam lance
    Power washer = This is what I use http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vax-P86-P2-P-Pressure-Washer/dp/B00K6C5YZ8/ref=sr_1_9?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1458219100&sr=1-9&keywords=vax+washer

I simply can not complain in any way with the results of the CQUK on the paint and the Dlux on the wheels.
    It still looks like the day I did it.
    The beauty of this coating i find is that it is much simpler to wash it.
    Just use a decent snow foam and pressure rinse if you are short on time and you will be well pleased.

After a proper wash with 2bm, Spritz some Reload on the wet car and dry with your mf towel. it maintinas the look absolutely brilliant.

Compare this to wax?
    I find that wax seems to attract dirt and dust more than this.
    They dont clint to the paint with CQUK

My advice is get a Kit together.
    Once you make the effort on doing it yourself you will notice that you like having it clean.

I did remove the wheels one by one and fitted the spare as a precation while doing them.
    They can be refitted pretty soon after so not time lapse really.

I am sure Curran could put you right for most of the gear you would need.

Any more Q's just shout away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

CarPro order going in on Monday and will take a few days to arrive! ;)

Curran wrote: »
    CarPro order going in on Monday and will take a few days to arrive! ;)

Thanks for the advice vectra. Spoke to dealer earlier will have the car next Tuesday or Wednesday. I obviously want to get the Cquartz on asap so hoping to have the stuff then. When will it be available to order on the site? A spin up to Dublin to pick it up may be it's first trip!

What is the minimum amount of kit I need to prep and apply it?

2 Buckets with grit guards
    Microfibre/lambswool Mitt
    Microfibre towel
    Claybar
    Carpro Resest,
    IronX
    Cquartz
    Carpro reload
    DLUX
    Perl

The cquartz kits on some uk sites come with a 100mls of reload but it's not listed on yours. I will need more of course but hoping it might be enough initially. Money is a little tight at the minute as my own car tax and insurance is due.

Ordered today, but takes a few days to land and then need to clear customs too! :(
    If you can't wait, I might be able to get my hands on what you need sooner! Beg borrow and steal for ye! :P

Ryath wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice vectra. Spoke to dealer earlier will have the car next Tuesday or Wednesday. I obviously want to get the Cquartz on asap so hoping to have the stuff then. When will it be available to order on the site? A spin up to Dublin to pick it up may be it's first trip!

What is the minimum amount of kit I need to prep and apply it?

2 Buckets with grit guards
    Microfibre/lambswool Mitt
    Microfibre towel
    Claybar
    Carpro Resest,
    IronX
    Cquartz
    Carpro reload
    DLUX
    Perl

The cquartz kits on some uk sites come with a 100mls of reload but it's not listed on yours. I will need more of course but hoping it might be enough initially. Money is a little tight at the minute as my own car tax and insurance is due.

No problem
    Only happy to help.
    Are you going to give the car a polish to prep the paint first?

Also get a bottle of Erasor to make sure it is squeeky clean prior to CQUK application..

Can I ask what you intend using Perl on?

Ordered today, but takes a few days to land and then need to clear customs too! :(
    If you can't wait, I might be able to get my hands on what you need sooner! Beg borrow and steal for ye! :P

Ah no need to do anything illegal for me! You should have it by next Wednesday then if I was to drive up to the new shop? If not you should have it it in time to have it delivered by Friday week? Anything else I need to add to the list or anything I can do with out? Discount for bulk order or picking up? ;)
    No problem
    Only happy to help.
    Are you going to give the car a polish to prep the paint first?

Also get a bottle of Erasor to make sure it is squeeky clean prior to CQUK application..

Can I ask what you intend using Perl on?

No won't be doing any polishing extra cost and being a complete novice means it wouldn't be a good idea to have a go on brand new paintwork. I may down the line but I'll practice on my 08 Mondeo first! Hope the paintwork is good enough and it's mostly just about making the car easier to keep clean.

Knew I'd forgotten something with the erazor.

Perl for the tyres? Worth getting anything for the interior? Fabric protection most important I suppose.

Sorry for all the questions guys as I said complete novice. Who'd have thought cleaning a car was so complicated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Will you be getting some IronX?

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Will you be getting some IronX?

It's on his list. Though there should be no need to de iron a brand new car.

Ah no need to do anything illegal for me! You should have it by next Wednesday then if I was to drive up to the new shop? If not you should have it it in time to have it delivered by Friday week? Anything else I need to add to the list or anything I can do with out? Discount for bulk order or picking up? ;)

No won't be doing any polishing extra cost and being a complete novice means it wouldn't be a good idea to have a go on brand new paintwork. I may down the line but I'll practice on my 08 Mondeo first! Hope the paintwork is good enough and it's mostly just about making the car easier to keep clean.

Knew I'd forgotten something with the erazor.

Perl for the tyres? Worth getting anything for the interior? Fabric protection most important I suppose.

Sorry for all the questions guys as I said complete novice. Who'd have thought cleaning a car was so complicated!

I hand polishe dmine first.
    anything to get that last bit of shine off it. :P

IronX yes,

Perl?
    I hate to say it but as good as a product it is on plastics etc.
    As for Tyres???
    Look back through my post and pics.
    I will let you decide.

*Kol* wrote: »
    It's on his list. Though there should be no need to de iron a brand new car.
    Think ronnie was asking Curran as it's out of stock. You'd think there wouldn't be much need on a new car but apparently not.
    http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/blog/2013/11/how-to-detail-a-brand-new-car/
    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=317546

Car delivered 4 weeks after leaving factory :eek:
    Apparently a lot of cars are stored at rail yards so can pick up a lot when being transported across Europe.
    40a079b83f8be984f68ab58fe356b59d_zps9910791b.jpg

I hand polishe dmine first.
    anything to get that last bit of shine off it. :P

IronX yes,

Perl?
    I hate to say it but as good as a product it is on plastics etc.
    As for Tyres???
    Look back through my post and pics.
    I will let you decide.

Guess a pad and polish won't add too much to the cost may as well go the whole hog! :) What you recommend?
    Well,
    If anyone is following my steps, the one part I would strongly advise to change would be to use Carpro Perl on the tyres..!!!
    Total disaster.

Read that as you did use perl after using something else. What do you use now?

Car delivered late this evening to dealer. Easter weekend means it will be next Tuesday before we pick it up :( I can't wait!

Yes, IronX is on the shipment.

Hoping it will be here on Wed or Thurs, usually shipping is 3 days and another to clear Customs.

My Choices would be

Guess a pad and polish won't add too much to the cost may as well go the whole hog! :) What you recommend?

I used this before andfound it does a great job and is easy to use.
    http://www.detailingshed.com/polish/209-chemical-guys-p40-pro-polish.html

I use Wolfs Chemicals Blackout but it is hard to get now.
    Curran may be able to suggest something with low sling properties.

This is good but there is a bit of sling fromit.
    Grand if you give it a light buff to remove the excess so reducing the sling effect

http://www.detailingshed.com/plastic-trim/52-chemical-guys-new-look-trim-gel.html

Think ronnie was asking Curran as it's out of stock. You'd think there wouldn't be much need on a new car but apparently not.
    http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/blog/2013/11/how-to-detail-a-brand-new-car/
    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=317546

Car delivered 4 weeks after leaving factory :eek:
    Apparently a lot of cars are stored at rail yards so can pick up a lot when being transported across Europe.
    40a079b83f8be984f68ab58fe356b59d_zps9910791b.jpg

Car delivered late this evening to dealer. Easter weekend means it will be next Tuesday before we pick it up :( I can't wait!

To be honest the ironx will react like that regardless of the amount of fallout on the panel. I used some on the bonnet of my camper recently (also white) and it looked the same. I had never used ironx on it in the last 8 years.

This is fallout.
    5A07FBAA-1FD7-45DE-9546-A62993E5C4AD_zpsamfbh3f2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

^^

Looks like a murder scene!

Both are fallout...it's just that the wheels are more heavily subjected to fallout from the brakes. The sides of the car and the back less so but for the same reason.

New cars can also arrive with quite a lot of contamination for the reasons mentioned above. They sit around in yards for many weeks/months prep delivery.

Yes, IronX is on the shipment.

Hoping it will be here on Wed or Thurs, usually shipping is 3 days and another to clear Customs.

Hi did it turn up yet? Thinking of heading up to Dublin for the day tomorrow so hoping to pick everything up.

Picked up the car Tuesday it already needs a wash! Planing to spend Saturday at it.

• Advertisement

The flight details I have are for it to land tomorrow morning at 08.00. Then the freight forwarders will have to clear the Customs; who are only around the corner, so once we get the invoice for the Import Customs & Duty, it can be paid and collected, which is 15 mins work.....however... thats asssuming a) its on the flight I was informed it would be on, and b) the freight forwards arent swamped in paperwork and clear it promptly.
    Unfortunately, I wouldnt hold my breath! :(

Hi dropped in Friday and got a few bits. Grit guards, mit, towel, resest and dlux. Got the carpro sample kit which will at least give me enough stuff to prep the wheels for dlux. The cquartz will have to wait a few weeks till I can spare the money to get it and the few other bits I need. At least I can keep the paintwork clean now and I'll do the wheels and a rear bumper trim with dlux over the next few evenings. Think the wheels are the main thing to protect. There's a bloody sticker on the inside of one I need to take of :mad: Gave it's first wash this evening too wet over the weekend. It was bloody manky after 6 rainy days. Paintwork to my eye looks pretty good couldn't find anything wrong. I'll post pics in the detailing thread.

Nice job on the shop will you there often yourself?

Thanks for dropping by and picking up a few bits!
    Won't be there as much as I'd like to be, but will be there a few hours a week! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Hi Curran,

Looking for some advice. Getting a new Golf in a few weeks time. Will be the first brand new car I'll have had so would like to take care of it from the start. Have always looked after my cars but really only in keeping them clean, not detailed.

From your main post in this thread I see straight away I should be making sure that the dealer doesn't clean/wash/touch it themselves? What would you recommend getting to use myself? I'd mainly like to protect the body, alloys and windows (Flyby really grabbed my attention, presume Forte is the better option?). Not hugely concerned about the tires. The interior is fabric so would like to protect it all.

Have been looking through your site and will more than likely try make it to the shop next weekend or the weekend after.

Thanks for any and all advice, and excuse the naivety in relation to all this!

Yes, make sure that they deliver the car untouched. Perhaps get them to remove the plastics, etc, but certainly make sure they don't do anything else in terms of prep....make sure they do not wash it.

There is a bit of prep work needed to apply anything that is durable (nano coatings) and during the application there are some guidelines that need to be folllwed; time before buffing, cure time after buffing and not letting it get wet for a period after. But the benefits once applied outweigh the extra work involved.

Flyby30 and Forte are similar products. Flyby30 will bead and run up and over the windscreen at 30mph. Forte will be nearer 50, but is durable for 2 years, versus a year for the Flyby30.

CQUK for the paintwork, DLUX for the alloys and trims, Flyby30 or Forte for the glass, Fabric Coat for the interior and you've most bases covered.

If the work involved in CQUK is too much hassle, Reload is a spray on, buff in product that is durable...up to 6 months. Not bad for the ease of application.

As ever, make sure you prioritise the basics. Two wash buckets, scratch shields, wash mitt, pH neutral shampoo and a microfiber drying towel. That along will keep the paintwork fairly fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Great thanks! My main concern would be the time needed for application of the CQUK and how temperamental the weather has been recently, the car will be kept underground but don't think I'd be applying it there so knowing my luck it would piss rain transporting it back.

Just on the DLUX, the website is saying you must order a minimum of 9, that can't be right can it?

No that's not right. Error made when updating stock quantities! ;)

Just a bit of an update for anyone followingthis.
    I now have the car 8 months.
    My usual routine is
    snow foam
    rinse
    Wash
    Every few washes I might spritz some reload on the rinsed paint then dry with my Dry me crazy towel

Every month or so I will apply a layer of Reload to the dried car.

Very very pleased with these products as they make life so much more relaxed.

2016-04-07%2019.23.25-2_zpsxhtyvxrn.jpg

Beading nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

So far I have d-lux on the wheels.
    I picked up some eraser and CQ UK, next fine couple of days I'll machine polish with eraser and apply CQ.

Seems to be a great product for a daily driver to reduce time spent cleaning.

• Advertisement

Neilw wrote: »
    So far I have d-lux on the wheels.
    I picked up some eraser and CQ UK, next fine couple of days I'll machine polish with eraser and apply CQ.

Seems to be a great product for a daily driver to reduce time spent cleaning.

Machine polish with eraser?

Advertisement