Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does murder interest you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Damn!!!! Thought I was going to trick a Mod into mentioning the "case"!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Have a big interest in all types of crime. Often spend hours jumping from Wikipedia page to Wikipedia page reading about different crimes/criminals, and watching different tv shows.

Also like theoretical aspects to it, particularly Foucault, Farrington, etc. Also have renewed interest in the nature v nurture debate since a recent research project I was a part of in work where a handful of the interviewees who had just been released from prison were people I'd grown up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm glad loads of you guys are fascinated by it too. I think if the secret services was to see my "recommended" and "viewed" sections of Youtube they'd be worried about what I was planning to do! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Yes, have to say I do enjoy a good true crime based documentary. I also find myself spending a fair deal of time perusing sites such as the below;

http://www.murdermap.co.uk/murder-map.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Can't say I do, really. I'd identify with Candie's post below to an extent.

I really enjoyed Serial, and I found The Jinx very compelling, but I find if I dwell on the subject too much, or spend too much time thinking about the awfulness that man can perpetrate on man, or the suffering of the victims, I can get awful down on myself.
    Candie wrote: »
    No, I find dwelling on the darker impulses of humanity to be very depressing. It's enough that I'm aware of terrible crimes, I don't need to know how they were committed and how much the victim suffered and how the lives of their families were destroyed.

Sheeeeit wrote: »
    Richard Ramirez (The Night Stalker) is a frightening character, he did some awful things. If you watch any of the documentaries on him they'll usually show interviews with him after his arrest, the man just looks evil!

He also had one of the great quotes. Following his conviction and death sentence he just said

"Big deal, death comes with the territory, see you in Disneyland"

to the Judge.
    Yes, have to say I do enjoy a good true crime based documentary. I also find myself spending a fair deal of time perusing sites such as the below;

http://www.murdermap.co.uk/murder-map.asp

A Jack the Ripper walking tour is very entertaining, was lucky enough to do with Donald Rumblelow who is one of the better, less sensational, Ripperologists.

Drove through Durham in England a couple of years ago and my wife vetoed my request to go miles out of our way to see Mary Ann Cottons house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Sheeeeit wrote: »
    Richard Ramirez (The Night Stalker) is a frightening character, he did some awful things. If you watch any of the documentaries on him they'll usually show interviews with him after his arrest, the man just looks evil!

Phillip Carlo has a great book on him too. He got access to him and Kuklinski while they were in prison. Carlo's writing style is very good to read too, really draws you in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Murder is only interesting when its carried out by "respectable" middle class architects.

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Murder is only interesting when its carried out by "respectable" middle class architects.

The murder of architects can be sensational too...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_White

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I like listening to psychopaths speak in jailhouse tv interviews, you can also tell that they get a kick out of recounting their exploits.

I believe the murderer who killed the young boy in cork about 10 years ago was also an architect.

Wayne O'Donoghue was convicted of manslaughter.

Doesn't interest me at all. I find the idea nauseating. All that blood. I couldn't bring myself to inflict injury on another person. I don't even like ordinary violence.

Wayne O'Donoghue was convicted of manslaughter.

Thats just a technicality. Its an absolute disgrace that someone like him is walking the streets after just 3 years. If I was the father of the victim I would go after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I like listening to psychopaths speak in jailhouse tv interviews, you can also tell that they get a kick out of recounting their exploits.

Actually just thinking about this and an exception would be Jefferey Dahmer's prison interview (the one where his father is present). That guy seemed to feel genuine remorse and disgust for what he did.

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Thats just a technicality. Its an absolute disgrace that someone like him is walking the streets after just 3 years. If I was the father of the victim I would go after him.

It wasn't a technicality. It was, apparently, unanimous.

In fact it's the only time I've heard of a "unanimous acquittal" and still not fully sure what it means, as there is not even an acquittal verdict to vote on.

It wasn't a technicality. It was, apparently, unanimous.

In fact it's the only time I've heard of a "unanimous acquittal" and still not fully sure what it means, as there is not even an acquittal verdict to vote on.

There was also "other evidence" in that case that media outlets are not even allowed to talk about without the threat of libel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Very fascinated by the psychology of a killer, what makes a person do what they do, their history growing, and the depths they will go to, especially the more deranged and psychotic ones who have zero empathy like David Parker Ray or Albert Fish.

Doesn't interest me at all. I find the idea nauseating. All that blood. I couldn't bring myself to inflict injury on another person. I don't even like ordinary violence.

Strange that you would read the title of this thread, click on it, read it and then post on it .......... :confused:

• Advertisement

Duggy747 wrote: »
    ...the depths they will go to, especially the more deranged and psychotic ones who have zero empathy like David Parker Ray or Albert Fish.

Fish was surely one of the most repulsive killers of all, which when you think about is a bit ridiculous as if the less depraved ones were nicer. But his crimes were just so grotesque.

Up there with Frederick Baker...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanny_Adams

And maybe even Irishman Patrick Joseph Byrne...

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/from-the-archives-murder-most-gruesome-strangled-119813

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭jaysblades

What interests me more is the victims , and how social/political norms contributed to their fate.
    I mean like the concentration camp victims who just stood by while they were murdered , or the victims of that loon (in Finland ?) who went around casually shooting them . Imagine if one of those people was legally armed ?
    Murders who are free today as a result of our namby pamby laws ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Yes I find crime in general to be interesting and have read a lot of true crime stories from Irish drug lords to Mexican gangs. I read Larry Murphy's book too which I enjoyed. I know that probably sounds weird but I like reading about what goes on inside a criminals mind and the events leading up to a murder and their motives. Criminal Minds was one of my favourite programmes for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 GeorgeSlate

Was interesting! :)

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Strange that you would read the title of this thread, click on it, read it and then post on it .......... :confused:
    It's a discussion, darling; a patchwork of opinions. Plenty of people in the thread are not interested in murder, and plenty are.

It's a discussion, darling; a patchwork of opinions. Plenty of people in the thread are not interested in murder, and plenty are.

You said you find even the idea of violence nauseating so I just found it odd that you would want to contribute to a thread titled "Does Murder Interest You?" .......... just my opinion honey-buns ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is interesting, one thinks I won't go to such an area as it is dangerous, that equals you are thinking the worst possible scenario, you could somehow get murdered.
    Survival instinct gives everyone whether they think about it not about how to survive, that is not get killed or murdered.

Then one find certain people whether it is Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pol, Idi Amin and so on interesting, in how could such people exist and do what they did. It is impossible to imagine the terror these murderous people inflicted.

I would argue it does interest everyone, maybe not in that they find it interesting, but one instincts finds it interesting that it tends to veer most people away dangerous situations where they could get murdered.

Finding murder cases interesting is I think down to people putting themselves in the place of the victim and imagining it and how would oneself avoid such a situation.
    I think it all comes back to the survival instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Yes.From a statistical Point of veiw.And when it comes to statistical,I find that the best statistics come from the USA,which cities,states have the highest murder rates,which areas are murders increasing/decreasing,who is doing the killing,who is being killed.You get patterns because the crimes are well detailed,complete with information.

In Sweden,it tends to be a case of "a 24 year old man was sentenced for killing a 19 year old" and that's all the info,the more inquisitive are left to suck the marrow from those bones-you would nearly Think it was deliberate ,what with the lack of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭expatinator

Murder, not necessarily.

I'm more interested in violence. What makes someone commit an act of violence, what effect it has on the victims and their family, and the aftermath. Also, the strangely pathetic nature of most killers. The book In Cold Blood really drives home that aspect.

I'd rather read/watch a small time criminal than a big massive serial killer. The latter has been done to death, and, to a certain extent, has become a clique in and of itself. I wonder are small time criminals just more human than serial killers?

Also, wasn't there a case many, many years back where they found body parts of a young boy in a river? I think it was in Ireland, but this was when I was a child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I too am interested in murder stories. Just read a great true whodunit set in Victorian times -The Suspicions of Mr Whicher'. Don't Google it in case it gives away anything.

A particularly fascinating read is 'The Stranger Beside Me' by Ann Rule. She was a ex policewoman turned crime reporter who was friends with Ted Bundy and never suspected a thing about the monster he was, all through the years. I must've read it about 6 or 7 tines.

I've read oountless books on true crime among them- the Moors Murders, Fred and Rose West, The Green River killer, the Night Stalker, The Yorkshire Ripper, a few about Jack the Ripper and many compilations. The Ted book was in a league of its own though.

Advertisement