Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

shuffol wrote: »
    I thought Spence started at center but moved out to the wing later a bit like Trimble.

Loads of top class centres played a few games on the wing early in their careers. Including the likes of Umaga and JdV.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I thought Spence started at center but moved out to the wing later a bit like Trimble.

Started at center at underage and for Ravens and then in his first games for Ulster played on the wing but then moved inside a bit as well iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Probably better to have Ringrose out on the wing for now, you have to remember that most centres are big guys, and Ringrose isn't exactly the biggest of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I was there the last time the world of rugby was changed when Irish rugby superstar Andrey Conway was presented to us. And the time before that when superstar Brendan Macken was granted upon us. Let's see how Mr. Ringrose compares.

In fairness we've had more success stories than failures in terms of bringing through young talent in recent times, I'd take it as a very encouraging sign that they are getting him involved at literally the first opportunity.

Tox56 wrote: »
    In fairness we've had more success stories than failures in terms of bringing through young talent in recent times, I'd take it as a very encouraging sign that they are getting him involved at literally the first opportunity.

I didn't really mean to say we've failed to bring through young talent, we have a sterling example of that, it's just any time there's huge hype surrounding a young player they've generally failed to deliver, I think the last to actually deliver was probably Fitzgerald! I'm hoping Ringrose will end that unlucky spell.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,266 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

gordon darcy started on the wing too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

sydthebeat wrote: »
    gordon darcy started on the wing too

And make quite an impression too IIRC turning Welsh international winger Wayne Proctor inside out to score the match winning try with his first touch of the ball.

Wilkinson made his international debut against us on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Every year that 20% off voucher tempts me to buy another thing I don't need.
    A pox on them and their effective marketing techniques

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I view Ringrose differently to a lot of the previously hyped up players. When you look at the likes of Andrew Conway, Brendan Macken, Luke McGrath, Harrison Brewer, Billy Dardis etc. their hype came from what they were doing at schools level and u18/u19. And their hype came from what they were doing individually with their pace/foot-work/power.

Ringrose on the other hand wasn't on the radar at schools level, other than people being aware of how much of an accomplished goal-kicker he was. His hype has come from what he's done at u20 level and in the AIL. And the hype has come from what's been said about his attitude/application and his ball skills/decision making at u20 level.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Almost the most D4 name ever.

We all dream of a team of Royce Burke Flynns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Loads of top class centres played a few games on the wing early in their careers. Including the likes of Umaga and JdV.

Gordo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Almost the most D4 name ever.

The most D4 name being ?

Dont leave us hanging like that. RBF is a great effort for the title to be fair.

The most D4 name being ?

Dont leave us hanging like that. RBF is a great effort for the title to be fair.

Porsche Burke Flynn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

wat games are tv this weekend in the pro12

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

aimee1 wrote: »
    wat games are tv this weekend in the pro12

http://www.pro12rugby.com/matchcentre/fixtures_list.php#JeiFDSLRk7r6fm4L.97

TG4 save the day again, they've the Leinster and Munster games on this week.

I think they've 14 or 15 games on in the first 11 weeks too so they're deadly.

BBC NI have he Ulster game and usually do the home Ulster games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

CatFromHue wrote: »
    http://www.pro12rugby.com/matchcentre/fixtures_list.php#JeiFDSLRk7r6fm4L.97

TG4 save the day again, they've the Leinster and Munster games on this week.

I think they've 14 or 15 games on in the first 11 weeks too so they're deadly.

BBC NI have he Ulster game and usually do the home Ulster games.

thanks, bookmarked that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I didn't really mean to say we've failed to bring through young talent, we have a sterling example of that, it's just any time there's huge hype surrounding a young player they've generally failed to deliver, I think the last to actually deliver was probably Fitzgerald! I'm hoping Ringrose will end that unlucky spell.

This is what I would disagree with. It depends what you mean by huge hype and deliver, but in recent years we've had a number of players who all had big reputations underage such as Moore, Furlong, Murphy, J McGrath, Ruddock, Conan all playing well, and all having representing their country. Outside Conway and Macken there arent too many examples of players with that level of hype who failed to deliver, that im aware of anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Porsche Burke Flynn

AFAIK he has a brother, Aston and sister, Mercedez.

Not actually joking.

I think the sister is actually Porsche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Hagz wrote: »
    I view Ringrose differently to a lot of the previously hyped up players. When you look at the likes of Andrew Conway, Brendan Macken, Luke McGrath, Harrison Brewer, Billy Dardis etc. their hype came from what they were doing at schools level and u18/u19. And their hype came from what they were doing individually with their pace/foot-work/power.

Ringrose on the other hand wasn't on the radar at schools level, other than people being aware of how much of an accomplished goal-kicker he was. His hype has come from what he's done at u20 level and in the AIL. And the hype has come from what's been said about his attitude/application and his ball skills/decision making at u20 level.
    Conway was the joint highest try scorer in history at the Junior World Cup until it was broken this year. Macken and McGrath also impressed at that level. Sure Hanrahan was nominated for junior world player of the year and he's done very little since so I don't think ringrose is that different to those guys tbh. Not saying he won't make it but I certainly wouldn't be anymore optimistic about his chances than the other guys mentioned.

• Advertisement

funtime93 wrote: »
    Conway was the joint highest try scorer in history at the Junior World Cup until it was broken this year. Macken and McGrath also impressed at that level. Sure Hanrahan was nominated for junior world player of the year and he's done very little since so I don't think ringrose is that different to those guys tbh. Not saying he won't make it but I certainly wouldn't be anymore optimistic about his chances than the other guys mentioned.

Conway, Macken and McGrath didn't look like they were destined for great things when they played at u20 level. Macken was never a cemented starter with Nevin Spence/Luke Marshall/Eoin Griffin all rotating in and out. When he did play he showed pace and power but people noted his narrow game. Conway scored some brilliant tries as his pace was still a serious weapon at underage level, but again, it all came down to his pace. McGrath did impress and it probably isn't fair to say he hasn't lived up to the hype just yet.

My overall point was that the hype surrounding him concerns his application which is something I find a lot more encouraging and valuable in the professional environment. I would liken him to Robbie Henshaw in that all you heard and still hear about Henshaw when he was coming through was how hard he worked and how he absorbed any and all advice that came his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hagz wrote: »
    I think the sister is actually Porsche

I had assumed that was the joke, no?

Tox56 wrote: »
    This is what I would disagree with. It depends what you mean by huge hype and deliver, but in recent years we've had a number of players who all had big reputations underage such as Moore, Furlong, Murphy, J McGrath, Ruddock, Conan all playing well, and all having representing their country. Outside Conway and Macken there arent too many examples of players with that level of hype who failed to deliver, that im aware of anyway

And the difference between the two sets you've mentioned is.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

molloyjh wrote: »
    I had assumed that was the joke, no?

Nope. Named all his kids after cars I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Podge_irl wrote: »

Ah here.....:confused:

Podge_irl wrote: »

That's what I mean, i.e. IBF knew that was her name....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

Looking forward to seeing isa back in a Leinster jersey and definitely ringrose. He was outstanding at the world u20s

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

His sister's name is Arianna.
    His brother's name is Aston, however.

molloyjh wrote: »
    That's what I mean, i.e. IBF knew that was her name....

Well I was TOLD that was her name but Heroditas has ruined my dreams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Dan Leavy ahead of Dom Ryan is the most interesting call for me. Along with Henderson the most exciting forward I've seen at age grade in recent times.

Ryans career has really stalled , injury hasn't helped, but after us being dumped at the last WC - he was held up as the next big thing - hasn't happened - pity

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement