Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

lim4ev wrote: »
    Ok Waterford men and lassies who would ye prefer in Munster final?

Id prefer Limerick without a doubt. Gets the game in Thurles and I always have more fun with a Limerick crowd. Tipp are no fun :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

In terms of opposition whoever wins the semi will be on a serious high, and will pose a massive challenge in the final high. Limerick would be competing in their third final in a row and have their side buoyed by two Munster Minor winning sides, while Tipp if they beat Limerick will grow in confidence massively given how they have failed against Limerick so many times in recent years and this will restore confidence that was surely dented by their defeat to us in the league semi-final (another backlash awaits) - Not really sure who i would like to be facing in this respect.

From a venue perspective I feel Thurles is like a second home to us whereas i have nothing experienced nothing but heartbreak in the Gaelic Grounds and it is a nuisance of a journey also. For me therefore the venue has to be Thurles and therefore in most likely facing Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Has it been confirmed it would definately not be Thurles if Tipp come through? How would people feel about facing Tipp in Thurles if they were to win? That question seems to divide opinion a lot on here.
    I suppose it's nearly as much a home ground to us as it would be to them but many would not be willing to just hand home advantage to Tipp.

If Tipp did win I couldn't see it in Thurles anyway so it makes little difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭dzilla

Id like Limerick because I love watching them get beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭lim4ev

blueflame wrote: »
    In terms of opposition whoever wins the semi will be on a serious high, and will pose a massive challenge in the final high. Limerick would be competing in their third final in a row and have their side buoyed by two Munster Minor winning sides, while Tipp if they beat Limerick will grow in confidence massively given how they have failed against Limerick so many times in recent years and this will restore confidence that was surely dented by their defeat to us in the league semi-final (another backlash awaits) - Not really sure who i would like to be facing in this respect.

From a venue perspective I feel Thurles is like a second home to us whereas i have nothing experienced nothing but heartbreak in the Gaelic Grounds and it is a nuisance of a journey also. For me therefore the venue has to be Thurles and therefore in most likely facing Limerick

Totally understandable I wouldn't fancy that drive plus in my view Waterford should not be asked to play championship matches in Limerick as its just too far from Waterford. Might be difficult this yr with cork out of the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Thurles all the Way - Even if Tipp win.
    Thurles is Waterford's default home ground anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd rather limerick if tipp win. Home advantage is worth a couple of points.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Wonder would the Gaelic Grounds actually suit ye better than Thurles this year though, should the opposition be Tipp. The field is a good bit smaller than Semple.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

deiseach wrote: »
    :D

Fair play for going through my posts to try and throw an old post back in my face. Not half childish at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Miall108 wrote: »
    Fair play for going through my posts to try and throw an old post back in my face. Not half childish at all

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Could be Nowlan Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭deisedude

STIG83 wrote: »
    Could be Nowlan Park?

The Munster Council would never allow that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I wouldn't mind Tipp in Limerick or even Killarney. Change of scene. The mysticism attached to Thurles is getting a little tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Not a great turnout for us in Thurles Sunday, was in the Killinane terrace and lookin around we were well outnumbered in the stands and obviously the other end. I'd take it as a mix between the economy here and a lingering lack of belief in the county itself that the league was a fluke. The sunshine supporters may well have believed that listening to the media and after the hidings we took last year!

I didn't renew my season ticket for this year as I didn't like the brand of hurling and the sheer chaos of lads bunching all over the place we persisted with for most of last year. I couldn't see it going anywhere but PTH2009 land and I wasn't happy with how Skully went to make way for that shambles to unfold either. I still ended up going to every game in the league bar the Wexford game and the final (was caught in work for those) cos **** it, I'm a Waterford man and ya can't be changing now. Comparing then to now, it's some turn around. There was still the lingering doubt for me that we'd shot our bolt early as successful as that league was for us, and I didn't buy into the hype of "isn't it great we've arrived, we won the league". We don't win many of them but championship is what matters and what you're ultimately judged on.

I never rated that Cork team and to lose by doubler scores to them after forcing a replay was a sickener last year, to lose is one thing but you'd at least want a bit of fight and a performance worthy of the name. This year we showed them for what they are, which is an average side with no tactical awareness whatsoever. We gave them a twenty minute head start and still should have won by more, as many as 3 more goals were left behind and we had a high wide tally. Some going, and no sign of a whippet of a forward like Brian O'Sullivan lost at sea on his own vs 3 defenders a mile up the pitch or 12 lads bumping into each other in our halfback line. I don't care if that's down to Derek, the new lads in the management team, the fitness, the players getting more time to play their way into the system or all of those factors together, thank Christ we kept the lad on when meself and alot of lads were calling for McGraths head last year. We've even got two inside forwards now which was the last thing I wanted to see after the league to give us a goal threat, I was fn delighted heading home on Sunday and long may it continue!

That result is huge though, it galvanises our league even more and that last bit of a fear factor I saw in the media (especially our own) of whether we're a flash in the pan and can survive the Cork "backlash" in the white hot heat of championship is dispelled now. We're serious contenders on this form, Tipp are probably the team to beat this year and we've already beaten them too. I'd fear no one to be honest but I'd show plenty of respect to whoever comes through the other semi final, the ref gave us a few very soft frees and our puckouts were dire at times on Sunday. We'll need to work on our shooting as well cos there'll surely be tougher games ahead and there is room for futher improvement there. Let's be all we can be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

Paddy Power betting for Munster Championship,, Tipp 11/10, Waterford 11/8 and Limerick 4/1.

Paddy Power betting for All Ireland is , Tipp 9/4 , Kilkenny 5/2 and Waterford 11/2.

Also a note on the U21's. Even though Waterford are shorter in the outright All Ireland betting than Cork the traders are telling me that due to our horrendous record in recent years at this level that Cork will be favourites on Wed week. It is hard to oppose their logic on that one as I am led to believe they [Cork] have an outstanding team this year despite their lack lack of success at minor level recently. They were comfortable winners v Limerick the other night and the Shannonsiders had dished out a fair beating to the Deise men a few weeks ago even though Waterford had their full team so it is understandable why the bookies favour a home win in Pairc Ui Rinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

KevIRL wrote: »
    I know where you are coming from, just feel its better to take a more humble approach. Nothing personal against yerself though, my apologies if it came across like that.

Obviously delighted for McGrath and his team, they took a lot of stick. Some of it deserved, but the personal stuff was out of order. Problem with on sites like here people can take advantage of relative anonymity to make outlandish claims but its easy to identify and ignore them. Not surprising at all that some of the more outspoken from last season have gone to ground but rest assured they will surface again from under their bridge once Waterford lose a game (hopefully not till next year!)
    soppose i was definitely one of those ,after the horror show last year ,and still was not convinced in the league stages ,but you cant argue the way it finished ,beating the countries top teams ,it has been great watching them of late ,,hope it keeps going ,,after last sunday ,happy as a pig in **** does not even come close

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TGV

Funny thing about the "experts" they didn't give Waterford a chance. Even at half time after tearing the cork defense apart twice in two minutes they were still thought Cork would win it. Anyway happy days and more to come.

Three things stand out for me
    1. The way they can pick out team mates with pinpoint passes. It is very clean and clinical.
    2. They make what do look easy and that takes a lot of skill and fitness.
    3. There is a calmness about the team
    and confidance that I have not seen in a Waterford team before.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

Paddy Power betting for All Ireland is , Tipp 9/4 , Kilkenny 5/2 and Waterford 11/2.

Jesus Paddy Powers will be raking the money in so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

TGV wrote: »
    Funny thing about the "experts" they didn't give Waterford a chance. Even at half time after tearing the cork defense apart twice in two minutes they were still thought Cork would win it. Anyway happy days and more to come.

Three things stand out for me
    1. The way they can pick out team mates with pinpoint passes. It is very clean and clinical.
    2. They make what do look easy and that takes a lot of skill and fitness.
    3. There is a calmness about the team
    and confidance that I have not seen in a Waterford team before.

Hope ye go all the way this year!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭skaface

Great to see all the kids going around wearing the jerseys..
    The whole county has got a badly needed lift after the exploits of the hurlers over
    the past few weeks.. Onwards & Upwards.. Here's to a long summer of hurling !!
    Up The Deise :-)))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭seananigans

Paddy Power betting for Munster Championship,, Tipp 11/10, Waterford 11/8 and Limerick 4/1.

put on bets the day of league final waterford munster 6/1 ai 14/1 austin gleeson young hurler 14/1 all for a fiver each

put a fiver on the game too got a tenner back

lst day i cheered when cork got their second poitn had them at 9/4 to get first two points but expected us to win

dont normally betbut just sorry i didnt put down more .

odds are less than halved for all bets now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Just watched the game again and Maurice was an absolute warrior - people comparing him to Dan because of the goal but Dan never put in a performance of the type Maurice did - it wasn't dans game to be fair so I am not saying that as a criticism.
    Maurice continually won balls he shouldn't have won - often when out numbered - it was a hugely brave and hard working display... Hats off to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Just watched the game again and Maurice was an absolute warrior - people comparing him to Dan because of the goal but Dan never put in a performance of the type Maurice did - it wasn't dans game to be fair so I am not saying that as a criticism.
    Maurice continually won balls he shouldn't have won - often when out numbered - it was a hugely brave and hard working display... Hats off to him

Youtube Tipp v Waterford 2006, Dan put in the complete performance that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Youtube Tipp v Waterford 2006, Dan put in the complete performance that day.

Ya Dan was unreal that day when he skewered Eamon Corcoran, scoring a brilliant goal and ghosting in from the wing to put over point after point.

Maurice played a different game for us Sunday - it was like he was a mixture of Dan and Seamus prendergast - huge admiration for him watching it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭seananigans

Ya Dan was unreal that day when he skewered Eamon Corcoran, scoring a brilliant goal and ghosting in from the wing to put over point after point.

Maurice played a different game for us Sunday - it was like he was a mixture of Dan and Seamus prendergast - huge admiration for him watching it again

isnt it amazing dan was our freetaker for a while , no disrespect to him ,but his skills were elsewhere.

it says a lot for hurling though, once upon a time everyone could do it , now its the winning or losing of a game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Another fellah who has been an absolute colossus as ever is Brick Walsh. What a man and what a servant he has been. Why wouldn’t all these young fellahs have the impeccable attitude they have when they have a role model like that to take after.

A man who was absolutely slated on here earlier in the year. People saying he was finished and that he was never a hurler anyway. Ye should hang yere heads in shame.

isnt it amazing dan was our freetaker for a while , no disrespect to him ,but his skills were elsewhere.

it says a lot for hurling though, once upon a time everyone could do it , now its the winning or losing of a game

Dan never took a free in his life

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Can't even remember him taking one for Lismore needless to say Waterford...

Waternut wrote: »
    Can't even remember him taking one for Lismore needless to say Waterford...

Dan and Dave Bennett would played on the same team at every grade from under 8’s upwards through schools, club and county teams. And Dave was always freetaker. And an outstanding one at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

it is funny reading all the posts from July 20th last year after the wexford defeat. myself and many other posters were very worried about the future of waterford hurling. who would of known we would win the league and be in a munster final some 11 months later.

the munster final is on the same weekend as the connor mcgregor fight so it should be a good weekend.

a big shock is going to happen on sunday 21st june Wexford are going to beat Kilkenny believe me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement