Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Enigma 2 boxes?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

givecredit wrote: »
    Yes, the only difference is Front Display and extra tuner. They both use the same firmware.

I currently use VIX on it. This €6 stick works perfectly with it:

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_188371.html

Thanks a lot, gonna take the plunge so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Have the lx1 it's great box and reasonable,
    How's the lx 2 working for ya
    Looking at twin tuners and undecided between the lx2, Vu solo se v2 or maybe extrend et 9500
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I have the LX2 and its a nice box.

I also have one to sell if anyone is interested.I bought it for a friend but they changed there minds.It was only opened to but Hades on it.

I will be putting it up on Adverts one of the days if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

GY A1 wrote: »
    Have the lx1 it's great box and reasonable,
    How's the lx 2 working for ya
    Looking at twin tuners and undecided between the lx2, Vu solo se v2 or maybe extrend et 9500
    Cheers

The LX2 performs in the same way as LX1, except for the 2nd tuner. It uses the same images as LX1. I use VIX on it and it performs flawlessly(using autobouquetmaker and crossepg). With the added 7 euro usb dtt tuner(link above) its a perfect triple tuner solution for less than €150.00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

What is the best Twin Tuner Enigma2 box at the moment that will give the Irish and UK channels for around €200 or less?

I want to avoid any type of freezing or rebooting etc.

And also where is the best place to order from? Ireland, Germany etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Don't forget if you buy from outside Ireland & have a problem it will be more costly to send it back for repair.
    I recently had to send a receiver back to the UK for repair under warranty & it cost me €35 because it was over 2kg in weight.
    If you can source your receiver in Ireland then its a lot cheaper to post if you have to send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

reni10 wrote: »
    What is the best Twin Tuner Enigma2 box at the moment that will give the Irish and UK channels for around €200 or less?

I want to avoid any type of freezing or rebooting etc.

And also where is the best place to order from? Ireland, Germany etc.?

From personal experience I would advise Xtrend Et8000. Can get twin dvbs and third slot free with 250gb HD for £179 from WOS.

If you were going for full three tuners and bigger HD you might get better value on one of the European shops though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

can't understand why they are still putting scart sockets on some of these boxes, well dated by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

they can be very useful for attaching an rf modulator

Yes, the only difference is Front Display and extra tuner. They both use the same firmware.

Just a quick one.
    Set the dongle up with Vix and it's working but can't seem to get a signal quality reading. Box just shows SNR: 0% AGC 0% no matter where I position the aerial.

Is this the same for you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Paul007 wrote: »
    Just a quick one.
    Set the dongle up with Vix and it's working but can't seem to get a signal quality reading. Box just shows SNR: 0% AGC 0% no matter where I position the aerial.

What version of Vix are you running? Also, have you it set correctly under settings? If you set it to the wrong country nothing will show up, took me a few days to figure this out before :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Paul007 wrote: »
    Just a quick one.

the lx1 and lx2 only have 2 usb slots, 1 at front and rear,
    if u had a hdd attached to usb at rear,
    would it look awful having the usb dtt stick sticking out the front of the box

Clareman wrote: »
    What version of Vix are you running? Also, have you it set correctly under settings? If you set it to the wrong country nothing will show up, took me a few days to figure this out before :o

Vix 3.2.
    Everything is set up ok and I am pulling in all the channels, just no getting a signal quality reading from the box.

It's not major issue as I can still view the channels but sometimes I get the odd glitch.

If I had a reading from the box I could peak the signal.

GY A1 wrote: »
    the lx1 and lx2 only have 2 usb slots, 1 at front and rear,
    if u had a hdd attached to usb at rear,
    would it look awful having the usb dtt stick sticking out the front of the box

Yeah, it's not ideal. I only have a usb stick at the front but it looks ok.

You could always run a usb cable from the front port to the dtt tuner, might not look as messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Is it as reliable as an internal tuner ?

Zardoz wrote: »

Works the very same as internal tuner except it uses one of your two usb slots. The 2nd being on front of receiver. I run the usb hd on front slot connected with usb extension cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Zardoz wrote: »

By a long shot, No. The firmware is flaky, the devices are subject to all kinds of interference ime.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'd agree that the USB wouldn't be as reliable, it's external to the box which means it's more likely to be moved, there'd also be intermittent power issues to USB devices, I notice with external tuners you have to reboot your box more frequently than you would need to do with an external tuner. For the difference in price though the USB is fine, I also like the fact that you can use the USB tuner in other devices as well, I've been known to use it in my laptop if I was away from home for example.

STB. wrote: »
    By a long shot, No. The firmware is flaky, the devices are subject to all kinds of interference ime.

This has not been my experience with the Xspeed. In the past with my older Vuo Duo and DM800 I had this experience, but things have improved quite considerably since then.

Off course having an internal DTT tuner would be the best option. But for the price the USB Tuner with an Xpeed 1 or 2 is a reliable option.

The Firmware support for external usb tuners has improved considerably in the last 2 years, since having a cable tuner option became quite popular in the UK.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Clareman wrote: »
    I'd agree that the USB wouldn't be as reliable, it's external to the box which means it's more likely to be moved, there'd also be intermittent power issues to USB devices, I notice with external tuners you have to reboot your box more frequently than you would need to do with an external tuner. For the difference in price though the USB is fine, I also like the fact that you can use the USB tuner in other devices as well, I've been known to use it in my laptop if I was away from home for example.
    I have made my Nova stick a lot more reliable on my aging Vu+ Duo by having it plugged into a powered USB hub. So it's getting addtional power from the hub, as I think the Vu was struggling to feed it enough power consistantly.

Newer drivers may have helped also, I'm not sure. What I have works fine (mostly) now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

UrbanFret wrote: »
    I have only ever used vix and it's been perfect. so my philosophy is if it aint broke don't fix it. They have just launched a new image Hades i think it's called.
    http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=GI-Xpeed-LX/
    you might also need to flash the bootloader(no harm to do it anyway)
    http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=Bootloaders/Golden-Interstar-Bootloaders/

You may have to register to download and in fairness you should as it is a terrific site and offers great support.

How to Flash Golden Interstar Xpeed LX1 and LX2

Flashing the Receiver.
    Hi,

1. Format a USB stick to FAT32.
    2. Download the image of your choice and extract it to your desktop.
    3. Open the folder you extracted to your desktop, in this case named openvix-hades.05-xpeedlx_usb, you will see another folder named xpeedlx, this is your image file. Copy the entire xpeedlx folder directly to the USB stick
    4. Fully power the receiver down via the rear rocker switch.
    5. Make sure no USB devices are plugged into the receiver at this point.
    6. Insert the USB stick containing the image files into one of the USB ports on the receiver.
    7. Power the receiver on.
    8. When the receiver powers up you will see the message “press arrow UP to upgrade” on the receivers display. Press the '+' button now on front panel.
    9. During the flashing process you should see the message “upgrading” on the receivers, DO NOT power the receiver down during this process.
    10. If successful the receiver will reboot it self after the flashing process has completed.

Can openvix run on Amiko Alien 2. Love the sky skin much nicer looking than the aa2 skyblue skin

I am currently running Hyperion 4.5 .

Do I need to doing anything special to install this on my box or just flas like normal?

BobbyT28

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Can openvix run on Amiko Alien 2. Love the sky skin much nicer looking than the aa2 skyblue skin

Do I need to doing anything special to install this on my box or just flas like normal?

BobbyT28

Doesn't look like a supported box on their official page, someone might have made an unofficial version somewhere http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/guides-and-tutorials/receiver-usb-flashing-guides/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

BobbyT28
    No you will brick the box. there are openpli images out there which will be similar to vix images. Google is your friend.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    No you will brick the box. there are openpli images out there which will be similar to vix images. Google is your friend.

Cheers,

The reason I ask, the sky skin on vix looks stunning. Why better looking than the sky-blue HD image on amiko.

What image could I go for to get that image, thus is purely a wife please exercise as she just doesn't seem to want to let go of the sky gui!!!!

BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Cheers,

The reason I ask, the sky skin on vix looks stunning. Why better looking than the sky-blue HD image on amiko.

What image could I go for to get that image, thus is purely a wife please exercise as she just doesn't seem to want to let go of the sky gui!!!!

BobbyT28

Have a look Here!. If you join I'm sure someone will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

BobbyT28

Alien 2+ ?

http://www.vix4.com/downloads/index.php?dir=Amiko%20Alien%202%2B/

Don't know what the Openvix lads make of their MIPS images being ported to SH4 but anyhow....

Which would you go for?

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Xtrend-ET8000-2x-DVB-S2

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Xtrend-ET-9500-2x-DVB-S-S2

I am leaning towards the ET8000 so I can run Openvix.

Looks like a nice upgrade from my Amiko Alien 2

Would love to know your thoughts

Regards,
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

I recently got the Xpeed LX2 and have the latest openvix on it and everything runs really well.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B00FYD3ICA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1448694795&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=lx2&dpPl=1&dpID=413yiUDEI+L&ref=

Might be something else to consider for you...

reni10 wrote: »
    I recently got the Xpeed LX2 and have the latest openvix on it and everything runs really well.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B00FYD3ICA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1448694795&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=lx2&dpPl=1&dpID=413yiUDEI%2BL&ref=

Might be something else to consider for you...

I needed up plucking the trigger on the xtend et-8000 happy with my choice. I think it will be and noticeable upgrade to my amiko alien 2

Thanks for the suggestion.

BobbyT28

• Advertisement

Hi,

What would be the best 3.5 hdd to use in the xtrend et8000?

Was looking at 1TB WD Green

Thanks BibbyT28

Advertisement