Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you any good at blagging?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

the white knights are on a crusade tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Saralee4 wrote: »
    yea but you don't know him! he could be like a modern day Robin Hood for all you know :P

Robin Hood was well know for accepting mistakenly handed over laptops and a free lunch from McDonalds it was probably for friar tuck the fat bastard!

This totally looks like a wind up thread! Well played!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

yea but you don't know him! he could be like a modern day Robin Hood for all you know :P

Robin Hood was a thief too, at least you have that bit right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Robin Hood was a thief too, at least you have that bit right.

In fairness the McDonalds one is robbing the rich to feed the poor so its pretty accurate there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

kingtiger wrote: »
    the white knights are on a crusade tonight
    Better not tell Saralee's Dad, he'll be after their chainmail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

jimmii wrote: »
    In fairness the McDonalds one is robbing the rich to feed the poor so its pretty accurate there!

see now my dad wouldn't be that low!

Mallagio wrote: »
    Lets be honest here, who on earth would turn back if a sales assistant mistakenly only scanned through one laptop instead of two??

I for sure wouldn't.

Hand on heart, I couldn't knowingly walk out of a store with a laptop I knew I hadn't paid for under my arm.

I'm certain I'm not the only one either.

Somebody got into trouble and out of pocket over it, someone who didn't deserve to. It doesn't sit right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I blagged my granny out of a tenner once.

I cracked her over the back of the head with a metal bar and pinched the note out of her hand.

That sort of blagging?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I blagged my granny out of a tenner once.

I cracked her over the back of the head with a metal bar and pinched the note out of her hand.

That sort of blagging?

Yeah, apparently so. Also you have those bank blaggers that blag cash from banks with weapons.

Lol. Yolo. Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

I see people who hold positions that they have no capability for but must be damn good at interviews. Thats what I would consider blagging. That and getting into matches or gigs for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Yeah, apparently so. Also you have those bank blaggers that blag cash from banks with weapons.

Lol. Yolo. Xx

Or those bank blaggers that blag billions from taxpayers. Hilarious hijinks that was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

I'm always asking for discounts if I'm not shopping online.

I haven't bought much for a few months but I got a free poster a few weeks ago. A shop that was closed but there were workers in it and I fancied a poster on their wall, so I chanced my arm and went in. Its the simple things.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Serious troll or deluded daughter of a common thief. Say tuned on Maury for the lie detector results after the break

Serious troll or deluded daughter of a common thief. Say tuned on Maury for the lie detector results after the break

ah come on now! He went in the moment, made a quick decision to say nothing and got a free laptop.

As for the Mc Donalds thing, my mam was in hospital and he was not working at that time, his daughter asked him for a treat and he said 'fxxx it, ill chance my arm' - hardly a criminal.

Nobody is perfect and completely morally righteous all the time and if you think that people are, then you are the one who is deluded! And sure if there weren't people as deluded as me and my father then how would the lads on boards get any pleasure or satisfaction from taking the moral high ground! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Eesh, could've surely thought of some better examples than that for 'blagging' OP? I mean, there's blagging and then there's... well, I'm sure you've got roasted enough already. AH can be a tough crowd sometimes, but you clearly didn't inherit your father's talent for brazenness, thankfully :pac:

Anyway, yeah, was never a natural at the whole blagging thing, more of a rule bending kinda person. I'm not gonna give examples though, that's just putting MY head on the chopping block! :o

Back to you OP, how you holding up? :pac:

ah come on now! He went in the moment, made a quick decision to say nothing and got a free laptop.

I know you want to defend your dad Saralee, but the fact is that he didn't 'get a free laptop'. Nobody decided to give him an extra laptop.

He took one he knew he wasn't supposed to, and that's a very different thing, and people who point that out aren't necessarily outrage addicts on lofty horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I've done my fair share of ****ty minimum wage jobs, so I would never go in giving one of them hassle and talking bullsh!t in order to save a measly fiver. Fuks sake like.

Getting a free laptop? I probably wouldn't say anything. Then again, it's hardly blagging is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Its honestly not blagging with the laptop. A 500 quid mistake for whoever gave it to him but he didn't blag a free laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

As for the Mc Donalds thing, my mam was in hospital and he was not working at that time, his daughter asked him for a treat and he said 'fxxx it, ill chance my arm' - hardly a criminal.

Nobody is perfect and completely morally righteous all the time and if you think that people are, then you are the one who is deluded! And sure if there weren't people as deluded as me and my father then how would the lads on boards get any pleasure or satisfaction from taking the moral high ground! :D

You're not coming out of this one too well, Sara. Little tip: offering the 'mitigating circumstances' only when you realize you're being called out on your OP never works well in these threads. Better to just put in in there first.

;)

I'm sure you're dad's not a prick. You presented him as one though. Take a moment to think about that?

Candie wrote: »
    I know you want to defend your dad Saralee, but the fact is that he didn't 'get a free laptop'. Nobody decided to give him an extra laptop.

He took one he knew he wasn't supposed to, and that's a very different thing, and people who point that out aren't necessarily outrage addicts on lofty horses.

That is a fair point Candie but I personally think a few have overreacted here. Perhaps because I know him as a person and I know alot of good things that he does aswell. I don't think calling him a "cheap git", "common thief", "poor", "grade A arsehole" and myself a 'deluded daughter" are very good ways to "point that out".

Like another poster said here two wrongs don't a make a right and there are much nicer ways to explain a point and you are going to get a bit of defensiveness from someone if you go about making your points in that way but that's after hours right?:D

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    You're not coming out of this one too well, Sara. Little tip: offering the 'mitigating circumstances' only when you realize you're being called out on your OP never works well in these threads. Better to just put in in there first.

;)

I'm sure you're dad's not a prick. You presented him as one though. Take a moment to think about that?

well I didn't plan on giving my whole life story in an opening post and didn't think the reactions would be that bad. When you are telling a story and you know the background, perhaps you can assume that is how people will read it but people read from their own stories and judgments I guess. I really don't think I presented him that way at all, maybe it comes across that way when written. If that's how people want to read it but thanks for the 'Little Tip'.

I didn't learn how to blag from my dad but I can learn how to be insulting and judgemental to people from the posters on After Hours! Thanks guys :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

The two stories are not "blagging". They are stealing, in my opinion. Maybe not as direct as shoplifting or running into a computer store and grabbing a laptop and running out with it, but stealing nonetheless. It is a test of one's morals to do the right thing and go back with them, in my opinion. The sales assistants probably had to pay out of their own wages for an honest mistake and a dishonest customer.

Blagging would work something like:

-myself and a group of my friends (6 of us in total) having only 3 tickets to get into a function in a hotel and using a combination of sleight of hand, distracting chatter and just plain out brazenness to get all of us in. The tickets for this event were actually free, but were limited in number, so nobody was out of pocket at all, just the room capacity might have been over by a factor of 3.

-Being able to talk your way out of situations with a combination of quick thinking, quick talking and turning on the charm/schmooze. Or being able to get into an advantageous position through a similar combination of the above. Classic example is being able to blag your way into getting a table at a booked out restaurant or getting into an overcrowded club or something similar.

^^^

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Blagged my way into Hampden Park for a Scotland Vs England game in the early 1980s, just jumped some wall at a house and was in the pitch, such a doddle then, you couldn't do that now.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Blagged my way into Hampden Park for a Scotland Vs England game in the early 1980s, just jumped some wall at a house and was in the pitch, such a doddle then, you couldn't do that now.

Again. Not 'blagging'. This is an example of 'sneaking in'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Wish I was as good at stealing as your dad OP.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Nice to see a father passing down his sense of morals to his kin. Next week sterilisation and its need in society

That is a fair point Candie but I personally think a few have overreacted here. Perhaps because I know him as a person and I know alot of good things that he does aswell. I don't think calling him a "cheap git", "common thief", "poor", "grade A arsehole" and myself a 'deluded daughter" are very good ways to "point that out".

Like another poster said here two wrongs don't a make a right and there are much nicer ways to explain a point and you are going to get a bit of defensiveness from someone if you go about making your points in that way but that's after hours right?:D

Just to make clear, I didn't say any of those things.

Nice to see a father passing down his sense of morals to his kin. Next week sterilisation and its need in society

Are you implying that I should not have been born now?

Wow and my dad's the nasty one!

Whatever makes you feel good.

Did you learn that from your dad?

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    Just to make clear, I didn't say any of those things.

No I know that! It was from many different posters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement