Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you any good at blagging?

Options
  • 25-03-2015 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

I'm not so good at blagging but my father is like some kind of a pro at this.

He once was trying to get free anti spy software when buying a laptop. The sales guy agreed to this but when he got to the desk, the service lady didn't realise. Something happened where the sales guy shouted over to the service lady that my dad was to get something free and she mistook the free item as another laptop!!!! :D He walked out with two laptops that day for the price of one! Not sure if he got the anti spyware though haha!

Another time when my siblings and I were small and he was a bit stuck for cash, we were going by Mc Donald's and I said I wanted some so he went in and made a complaint about getting cold food a couple of days before and how our meal was awful (we hadn't even had mc donalds a few days before) but he got like 20 pounds worth of food and an apology! The complaint was totally fabricated (although im sure everyone has got a cold Mc Donald's at some stage so kind of a white lie right? :p)

I must add that my dad is not some kind of crazy del boy or anything like that and would never rip anyone like a friend off, he's actually a very generous person haha! There's a few more other things he's blagged over the years, he just seems to be really good at complaining, haggling and getting free stuff even sometimes by accident.

Anyone any similar stories?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Your father sounds like a grade A arsehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

bit like yourself sheeplover :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Two laptops?

So he stole or took advantage of the sales staff?

Or am I just very tired and need some sleep. I thought blagging was more talking yourself up and getting into a job you didn't think you could get or getting into a vip area, scoring a lady well out of your league etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I cant do it. I cant blag or bargain or haggle. My ex took me to camden market in London where she grew up and she was horrified at how i was getting on. Id ask someone the price and I'd either pay it or just say it was too much and walk away. She kept telling me the whole point was to haggle but I just cant do it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Is your dad ceo of mens shed op?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Two laptops?

Or am I just very tired and need some sleep. I thought blagging was more talking yourself up and getting into a job you didn't think you could get or getting into a vip area, scoring a lady well out of your league etc, etc.

And that staff member probably at the minimum got into a whole lot of trouble and may well have had to pay for it. Can't imagine that was a fun day for them.

The McDonalds story is just a straight up scam.

Two laptops?

nope blagging is "(Verb) Knowingly or recklessly obtaining or disclosing personal data or information without the consent of the data controller"

he didn't really steal the laptop - they gave it to him for free, cant argue with that now can you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

That's not blagging I'm afraid. It's deception.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Saralee4 wrote: »
    I'm not so good at blagging but my father is like some kind of a pro at this.

He once was trying to get free anti spy software when buying a laptop. The sales guy agreed to this but when he got to the desk, the service lady didn't realise. Something happened where the sales guy shouted over to the service lady that my dad was to get something free and she mistook the free item as another laptop!!!! :D He walked out with two laptops that day for the price of one! Not sure if he got the anti spyware though haha!

Another time when my siblings and I were small and he was a bit stuck for cash, we were going by Mc Donald's and I said I wanted some so he went in and made a complaint about getting cold food a couple of days before and how our meal was awful (we hadn't even had mc donalds a few days before) but he got like 20 pounds worth of food and an apology! The complaint was totally fabricated (although im sure everyone has got a cold Mc Donald's at some stage so kind of a white lie right? :p)

I must add that my dad is not some kind of crazy del boy or anything like that and would never rip anyone like a friend off, he's actually a very generous person haha! There's a few more other things he's blagged over the years, he just seems to be really good at complaining, haggling and getting free stuff even sometimes by accident.

Anyone any similar stories?

So your old man stole a laptop.

No, none of my relatives are thieves.

jimmii wrote: »
    And that staff member probably at the minimum got into a whole lot of trouble and may well have had to pay for it. Can't imagine that was a fun day for them.

probably not but maybe they made the new rule so "accidents" or errors like that wont happen again in the workplace and formed a better communication system! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Lets be honest here, who on earth would turn back if a sales assistant mistakenly only scanned through one laptop instead of two??

I for sure wouldn't.

nope blagging is "(Verb) Knowingly or recklessly obtaining or disclosing personal data or information without the consent of the data controller"

he didn't really steal the laptop - they gave it to him for free, cant argue with that now can you! :D

If you did similar in your job how would that go with your boss? I could never live with myself knowing I may well have threatened someone's job by taking advantage of an error like that.

probably not but maybe they made the new rule so "accidents" or errors like that wont happen again in the workplace and formed a better communication system! :)

Lol true! I'd imagine it wouldn't happen again that's for sure! Does seem weird that someone would think oh something for free must be a second laptop.

If you did similar in your job how would that go with your boss? I could never live with myself knowing I may well have threatened someone's job by taking advantage of an error like that.

well jimmi - I hope you can live with yourself knowing that you are talking to me through that very laptop!! :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Thievery != Blagging

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

FFS, by no stretch of the imagination could that be described as "stealing". Both agreed to a contract for the sale of two laptops for a certain price and the guy paid for it. That's the exact opposite of stealing.

You might say it was immoral to stay silent about the sales person putting in a term not intended by the first guy. Indeed, the shop might have a case to have one of the laptops returned and the software given instead. But the OP's father is far from a thief, just because he stayed silent about a certain term of a contract.

The complaint about the food is a bit more immoral and deceptive, though.

The McDonalds story is just a straight up scam.

yea but Mc Donald's have been scamming people for years :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Twoukd want to be some crappy boss to sack someone for an honest mistake....

yea but Mc Donald's have been scamming people for years :P

The two wrongs make a right approach!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Yes he did and the workers making minimum wage would be in some trouble when they done their stock count.

As for the McDonalds story, well that's just acting like a tight **** to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Back when I was shopliffting and before I learned the receipt scam and how to left hand goods past the counter I was a master at blagging my way out of things especially when caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Probably got the poor girl at checkout fired, homeless at this stage. All your padres fault! Hope your satisfied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Your dad just sounds like a cheap git tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

How would the 'crappy boss' know that it was an honest mistake though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Forget the above shower pretending to be honest -

Which shop is handing out the free laptops ?

For sure but people get sacked for making mistakes all the time. Hopefully that's not what happened here considering it was hardly the most costly mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

He sounds smart actually.

well jimmi - I hope you can live with yourself knowing that you are talking to me through that very laptop!! :pac:

Was that the one he got the spy software for! Imagine all the things he knows about you now!! :eek: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I love blagging, haggling and dealing.

Is that the best you can do? Far too dear! I'm looking to spend money here and you don't want to take it. Throw in x and I'll think about it. What about a luckspenny?

Those things are part and parcel of negotiating yourself a better deal. You're Da wasn't doing any of those.

• Advertisement

Your dad just sounds like a cheap git tbh.

yea but you don't know him! he could be like a modern day Robin Hood for all you know :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement