Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Germanwings A320 Crash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

cml387 wrote: »
    The age of the aircraft, the suddeness of the onset of trouble and the fact that it happened in the cruise in probably clear air would tend to point to some sort of structural failure.

no, none of those things point out to structural failure

CA3HVOdUYAAxIbJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

martinsvi wrote: »
    no, none of those things point out to structural failure

CA3HVOdUYAAxIbJ.jpg

It's the same guys that they have on sky news, cnn, every-other-rubbish-news-site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

This makes no sense. They started at over 38,000 feet. It took minutes to come down, not seconds.

I know! that entire post if from another source, i couldn't quote it properly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

In all these ocurrences there is speculation.
    It's not doing any harm, it's like a discussion around the water cooler.

Those who do not wish to discuss the accident don't have to either read or contribute to the thread.

A structural failure in flight is one possibility. There are of course others.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

sugarman wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but wtf has that got to do with anything?!?

Oh relax with yourself, should all the "amateurs" get out of the thread and leave all the "experts" to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭crisco10

Doesn't jump out at me. There may be lots of airfields, but most around there are just little GA strips.

Marseille, Toulon, Grenoble, Avignon, Military Airport at Valance, even Nice/Montpellier/Nimes given the altitude they had when they made landfall.

Plenty of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Gonna be very interested to read the report on one of the most advanced aircraft and how it came down.

Sad day

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

No mayday was received according to BBC News.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

arubex wrote: »
    ATC can't do anything for them, but they can clear other aircraft out of the area and notify emergency services. Perhaps save some lives if the disaster occurs.

My opinion is that the traditional aviate-then-communicate training should be re-evaluated.

Just like cockpit resource management made the cockpit a less captain-centric space, pilots have to be aware that they are one component of a crowded sky and it's not always their personal actions that will save lives.

Airlines are partly responsible for this communication conundrum, by insisting that additional cockpit crew were an unnecessary financial burden. So now we just have two crew, apparently too busy at critical times to let ATC know what is happening. That doesn't seem right.

Part of the 'Aviate' bit - and a huge part of it, is situational awareness, so if an emergency descent is necessary for example, they will check the airspace below them or turn off track into clear airspace (in NATS for example). Even if they did get a mayday message out, ATC will take far longer to 'clear the sky' than the distress aircraft might have, so the 'fly the aircraft' bit comes first. I wouldn't like to see crews prioritise a communication over trying to regain control of the aircraft and situation. Surely that's the best way of saving lives??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

RTE reporting
    RTE wrote:
    The crew of the Germanwings flight that crashed in the French Alps did not send a distress signal, civil aviation authorities said.
    "The crew did not send a Mayday. It was air traffic control that decided to declare the plane was in distress because there was no contact with the crew of the plane," the source said.

If this is true, could this be a game changer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Why would they do that?

Because 7500 is the squak code for a hijacking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

RTE reporting

If this is true, could this be a game changer?

I was think hypoxia but then the plane would have been on autopilot.
    Surely structural failure would have lead to a great rate of descent.
    Lack of fuel perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

conflicting reports about a mayday call (from the Germanwings press conference)
    There was a check yesterday on the airframe (don't think they mentioned the level of the check)
    The last C check was 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Reoil wrote: »
    I was think hypoxia but then the plane would have been on autopilot.
    Surely structural failure would have lead to a great rate of descent.
    Lack of fuel perhaps?

If the aircraft was indeed flying at cruising altitude and hypoxia set in, incapacitating the crew, the aircraft would still have had fuel enough to reach its destination for a start and then also extra for holding, contingency and reserve etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,779 ✭✭✭✭unkel

How come a plane form Barcelona to Dusseldorf is diverted over the Alps as standard? Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here, but that makes no sense to me at all. Over the Alps gives you 10000 - 15000ft less to play with in case something case wrong / fewer options for landing and terrible prospects for rescue operations. Apart from the fact that the distance is further, so takes longer and uses more fuel. And I can't imagine any of the line between Barcelona and Dusseldorf be particularly busy with air traffic. No where near what you would have over greater London / Ruhrgebiet / Netherlands / Paris etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭jaykay74

http://www.thelocal.de/20150324/germanwings-plane-crashes-in-french-alps-123
    15:10 Germanwings is currently holding a press conference.

They confirmed that 144 passengers, including two babies, and six crew including two pilots and four flight attendants were aboard.

The plane had undergone a routine mechanical check on Monday in Düsseldorf, just hours before its final flight. Its last major service was in summer 2013 - as called for under the manufacturer Airbus' maintenance schedule.

The pilot had more than 10 years' experience with Lufthansa and Germanwings, and a total of 6,000 flight hours on the A320 model.

Germanwings, Lufthansa, and Airbus technicians are on their way to the crash site to help the investigation in any way they can.

"Together with the authorities we will do everything to understand the cause of this accident as quickly and comprehensively as possible," Germanwings CEO Thomas Winkelmann said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Just heard on BBC that the aircraft had a technical examination yesterday. Did anyone hear exactly what that was?

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Just heard on BBC that the aircraft had a technical examination yesterday. Did anyone hear exactly what that was?

All aircraft have a daily technical check. I presume this is what they are referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

All aircraft have a daily technical check. I presume this is what they are referring to.

Never realised they had a technical check each day. What exactly does it consist of?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Of course this is just speculation but would there be anything to be said for some sort of electonic hijacking of the aircraft. Ie someone on board or on the ground either hacking the avionics and feeding false data or interfering with software? Or perhaps just jamming or confusing the plane's sensors and systems with noise.

With physical security being so tight in aviation these days perhaps well organised and resourced organisations like ISIS and Al Qaeda are moving towards electronic attacks to bring down aircraft? Or terrorist operatives who've infiltrated the aviation industry and rewrite software or physically doctor aircraft during maintenance to engineer a failure? Nothing would surprise me.

Of course this need not be non state actors, the Chinese have been hugely ramping up cyber warfare in recent years. It will be interesting to see their response to this. They have access to A320s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Of course this is just speculation but would there be anything to be said for some sort of electonic hijacking of the aircraft. Ie someone on board or on the ground either hacking the avionics and feeding false data or interfering with software? Or perhaps just jamming or confusing the plane's sensors and systems with noise.

With physical security being so tight in aviation these days perhaps well organised and resourced organisations like ISIS and Al Qaeda are moving towards electronic attacks to bring down aircraft?

Until the true cause is found, there will be many theories as to what happened.

But not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Of course this is just speculation but would there be anything to be said for some sort of electonic hijacking of the aircraft?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

With physical security being so tight in aviation these days perhaps well organised and resourced organisations like ISIS and Al Qaeda are moving towards electronic attacks to bring down aircraft? Or terrorist operatives who've infiltrated the aviation industry and rewrite software or physically doctor aircraft during maintenance to engineer a failure? Nothing would surprise me.

Of course this need not be non state actors, the Chinese have been hugely ramping up cyber warfare in recent years. It will be interesting to see their response to this. They have access to A320s.

Something would surprise me. ANYONE giving this theory of yours any sort of credence.

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Never realised they had a technical check each day. What exactly does it consist of?

Any engineers want to comment?

It's a pretty quick check, usually done when the aircraft is overnighting. There's a whole list of stuff that has to be checked and signed off, and I don't have it on me:pac: but a general inspection for damage, fluid levels - oils, hydraulic etc, safety systems, brakes, etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

vicwatson wrote: »
    Oh relax with yourself, should all the "amateurs" get out of the thread and leave all the "experts" to it?
    No need to be an ass. You posted a non related post in a an effort to cause shock. You were very quickly shown the non-relevance of that email post.
    Keep to the topic on hand.

In a similar vein, can we all stop jumping to conclusions (old, plane, tail wing fell off, structural failure,pilot incapacitation) It could very well be a combination of 2-3 of these. As with many aviation disasters there can be several contributing factors.

I am not asking you all NOT to speculate, but please left it at speculation rather than making your mind up before the search teams have located the crash site and started the recovery of those 148 souls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

cml387 wrote: »
    Until the true cause is found, there will be many theories as to what happened.

But not that.

While unlikley, personally I don't see it as all that far fetched either. I mean would such a cyber attack be at least technically possible? Or failing a cyber attack, perhaps using some sort of directed energy, very powerful radar beam or whatever, to damage the avionics?

I'm no expert but if this was possible, the long and steady decent would in my mind point to the aircraft's systems being fed false data about its pitch or altitude or it software being doctored to produce this effect.

EDIT: As it turns out this is not an off the wall idea afterwards. Aviation expert Sally Leivesley suggested that Indonesian Airlines flight MH370 may have been the first victim of such a cyber attack.
    http://www.ibtimes.com/new-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-cyber-hijack-theory-emerges-after-vulnerabilities-found-inflight

DGAC now reporting that there was NO mayday communication including no "emergency, Emergency"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Loss of crew conciousness something akin to the Greek flight a few years back?

Apparently the largest piece of Debris is the size of a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

While unlikley, personally I don't see it as all that far fetched either. I mean would such a cyber attack be at least technically possible? Or failing a cyber attack, perhaps using some sort of directed energy, very powerful radar beam or whatever, to damage the avionics?

How would you see such a thing working out of interest?

Advertisement