Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Germanwings A320 Crash

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Is this crash very strange?

Every aircraft loss is a mystery at first. The authorities will endeavour to get to the cause as quickly as they can. This tragic loss is 'strange' so far in that there is no explanation yet, no distress signals, no comms from the flight crew and no obvious reason for the descent and impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

My husband suggests that maybe the pilot believed that auto pilot was on when in fact, it was not??

I've no idea though. He had over 6000 flight hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,818 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No call for help from pilots , descends in a way that suggests it was flying ok, not out of control? Do we know that already that it flew all the way down in a controlled manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

highly1111 wrote: »
    My husband suggests that maybe the pilot believed that auto pilot was on when in fact, it was not??

I've no idea though. He had over 6000 flight hours.

Very unlikely the pilot could reach 6,000ft without noticing.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Very unlikely the pilot could reach 6,000ft without noticing.

That would suggest something sinister is a distinct possibility .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Does each of an aircrafts two black boxes record different parameters? Of do they have two with the same info to increase the chance of finding one intact?

One is the FDR Flight Data Recorder - it records all the technical parameters that enable the insvestigators to piece together the flight down to minute details. The other is the CVR Cockpit Voice Recorder - it records conversations in the cockpit and with ATC and cabin crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Possible no as if something sinister happened a group would claim it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Does each of an aircrafts two black boxes record different parameters? Of do they have two with the same info to increase the chance of finding one intact?

http://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/flight/modern/black-box.htm
    TLDR:
    They do not record the same data, one is primarily for recording cockpit sounds and conversation, the other telemetry and system data.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

We have already had 1 poster banned for conspiracy theories. Don't be the 2nd.

• Advertisement

fr336 wrote: »
    Such as?

I hate to speculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Been following this thread all day and I am a bit disappointed by some of the absolute off the wall stuff getting speculated upon.

Most of the conspiracy theory type stuff pops up almost every time there is an incident nowadays and I cannot understand how people jump to the most ridiculous conclusions when history tells us that the vast majority of incidents are explainable and generally caused by a similar types of factors.

I have to admit I watch a lot of Aircrash Investigation and it is worth watching.

What I have learned from it is:
    The thoroughness of the investigation is unparalleled no matter what the circumstances.
    The reasons behind an incident are usually found and steps put in place to stop it happening again.
    Pretty much all of the incidents I've seen are explainable.
    It may take a while but the answers come out in the end.

RIP today to all that were lost, hopefully the reasoning behind what happens will come out, but it may take a while.

andy_g wrote: »
    Possible no as if something sinister happened a group would claim it by now.

I understand practically and security wise, and morally and whatever else I suppose too, we should be open to these things but jeez why so much more prominence given if there's a terrorist link to things that happen like this? Either way people are dead and aren't coming back. Hyping about terrorism and the like devalues the central event imo.

It was almost definitely not a terriost attack, no group claiming responsibility and it would have usually crashed into a populated area in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

highly1111 wrote: »
    maybe the pilot believed that auto pilot was on when in fact, it was not??

That doesn't make much sense. See post #35 from Tabnabs.

343012.jpg

You can see that the angle of descent is steeper than the angle of descent. You don't need to be a pilot or have any instruments just to feel that. Every person on board would just feel that the plane is descending rapidly

And the steep decent was sustained for a full 10 minutes. Even completely in the dark with zero instruments any captain / officer would know that on their flight path, that would roughly take them down from cruising altitude right down to the ground (Alps) (see the picture, from 38000 to 8000ft in 10 minutes)

My guess (or is it hope) is that something catastrophic happened at cruising altitude

What could cause such a steep rate of decent? Nosedive? Complete engine flameout?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭irishgeo

It was almost definitely not a terrorist attack, no group claiming responsibility and it would have usually crashed into a populated area in that case.

yeah just like united 93 did :rolleyes:

irishgeo wrote: »

Ah they knew that was a terriost attack. It had a clear motive and is so different to this crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the puzzling thing is that nothing seems to been done to stop the descent or call in any problem?

I have a few questions. Could people help with the answers?

*When were ATC last talking to 4U9252?
    Was it during the decent?

*Did the plane level at 6,800ft or is that when it crashed?

*Is hypoxia a possible cause or just some random theory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭billie1b

What could cause such a steep rate of decent? Nosedive? Complete engine flameout?

In all honesty it wasn't that steep or nosedive angle, i've seen aircraft leaving their cruise and descending at that rate to get onto the approach in DUB

billie1b wrote: »
    In all honesty it wasn't that steep or nosedive angle, i've seen aircraft leaving their cruise and descending at that rate to get onto the approach in DUB

I realise that. But it was more than your average Joe decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

unkel wrote: »
    That doesn't make much sense. See post #35 from Tabnabs.

343012.jpg

You can see that the angle of descent is steeper than the angle of descent. You don't need to be a pilot or have any instruments just to feel that. Every person on board would just feel that the plane is descending rapidly

And the steep decent was sustained for a full 10 minutes. Even completely in the dark with zero instruments any captain / officer would know that on their flight path, that would roughly take them down from cruising altitude right down to the ground (Alps) (see the picture, from 38000 to 8000ft in 10 minutes)

My guess (or is it hope) is that something catastrophic happened at cruising altitude
    I wouldnt agree with that.
    That graph makes its look much more drastic than it would have been. Remember for 99 percent of the climb phase, the aircraft would be pretty level, similarly, dropping from 38000 to 6000 ft over 8 to 10 mins wouldn't require a sharp nose down at all. I believe if there was a situation where the autopilot was getting faulty info and the aircraft was being kept reasonably level, it may not be at all noticeable that it was dropping until they were looking into the mountains. Sure airspeed and throttle settings would highlight that airspeed was being maintained at near idle but if you are unsure of which instruments are telling the truth and perhaps in foggy conditions, things get tricky.

irishgeo wrote: »

Shot down! Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I think the speed remaining fairly steady during the "rapid" decent indicates that it was at least somewhat controlled or in control by either autopilot or the pilots. But is the speed on the graph indicated or true?

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Well in ok weather in daylight with visual reference it would be impossible not to know your descending! Im not up to speed with the weather at the time but I looked good and if thats the case good visibility, so unlikely to have AP just fly into the mountains and not noticed!

Its like the just reached cruise and started the descent straight off, but someone was controlling the throttle to keep decent speed steady?

But anything is possible!

God rest there souls.

But is the speed on the graph indicated or true?

That's a golden thought. The flight crew may not be seeing the same speed as us.
    OR
    The flight crew may have had the same details as us but it may not have actually being true.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

mickdw wrote: »
    I wouldnt agree with that...wouldn't require a sharp nose down at all.

You're missing my point. I wasn't suggesting for a moment that there was a sharp nose dive. Just a significant descending angle (similar to approach) and prolonged for a long time (these are facts you can read directly from the graph). Any pilot would have just felt something was very amiss here (without needing any visibility or any instruments for that). I'm sure most people on the plane were aware of this too.

If they were concious, the pilots must have noticed. From that logic, they either couldn't control it or they weren't concious / alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cembellines

CardinalJ wrote:

Ive got the same question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

6800 ft equals 7000ft corrected for the local Marseille QNH.
    Therefore if 7000 was set in the altitude window, and the aircraft levelled off at that, it would be approx 6800 ft altitude.

The first thing in starting a rapid descent is to set a lower altitude in the FCU.

Advertisement