Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Germanwings A320 Crash

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

mickdw wrote: »
    We have access to altitude and airspeed which show a relatively controlled decent.

Access to an intermittent snapshot of altitude and GROUNDSPEED (not IAS).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

Well we do know some facts and I don't see the issue with discussing the crash in relation to these facts.
    We know that it remained on course.
    We know that there was no radio contact from crew.
    We have access to altitude and airspeed which show a relatively controlled decent.

Plenty room for sensible discussion there imo.

Key word being sensible some of the stuff being thrown around Is unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Off you go then, and leave the speculation and interest in this to others on the forum. The thread has not been locked YET.

Free choice, and you are taking it. All the best now.

This thread was not opened with the specific intention of discussing conspiracy theories, or theories without any evidence - it was opened to discuss the event and if any new knowledge comes to light.

It's for this latter reason I enter the thread, not the former. I'll gleefully overlook the hypothetical components while, at the same time, navigating for the rare nuggets of gold this thread does have to offer.
    Well we do know some facts and I don't see the issue with discussing the crash in relation to these facts.
    We know that it remained on course.
    We know that there was no radio contact from crew.
    Plenty room for sensible discussion there imo.

True - there have been many useful updates on the thread that are worth discussing, and hypothetical - bordering insane - theories are not a welcome part of that. A moderator mentioned this earlier in the thread - it's a pity his advice has not since been heeded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

I can't get over how dispersed the debris is from that video. I suppose a mid air collision with another craft is possible in theory at least. Maybe something with the transponder switched off. Possible secret military aircraft?

Things seem to be pointing towards decompression though, what would cause such an event? Structural failure of some element? Striking something or something striking the plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

I have 2 questions which I hope someone with knowledge could care to help me with:

The flight descended to 6800' in 10 minutes at a fairly constant speed of ~400knots (does this indicate it was controlled?)

Flight levelled off at 6800' for x mins (does this indicate it was controlled?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I can't get over how dispersed the debris is from that video. I suppose a mid air collision with another craft is possible in theory at least. Maybe something with the transponder switched off. Possible secret military aircraft?

are you just generating these for a laugh now? How does an aircraft collide with something yet maintaining perfectly straight path all the way down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I have 2 questions which I hope someone with knowledge could care to help me with:

The flight descended to 6800' in 10 minutes at a fairly constant speed of ~400knots (does this indicate it was controlled?)

In my opinion..yes to both questions. It actually slowed down during the decent indicating that the throttles were pulled back

Perhaps the flight descended to restore an acceptable pressure in the cabin but leveled out at an altitude which brought them too close to terrain. Would the plane automatically perform this maneuver if the crew were unconscious?

Things seem to be pointing towards decompression though, what would cause such an event? Structural failure of some element? Striking something or something striking the plane?

Good god..........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

What reasons would they be descending for? And without ATC comms? Would depressurisation be one of the only scenarios here?

• Advertisement

martinsvi wrote: »
    are you just generating these for a laugh now? How does an aircraft collide with something yet maintaining perfectly straight path all the way down?

I don't know, I'm not one of these supposed "experts" tha seem to be all over the place when these things happen. It's just a theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

It's just a theory.

could you stop generating them for a second?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Keep posting on "secret things" or conspiracies and you will magically vanish from the forum.

A simple yes or no will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I'm not one of these supposed "experts"

We had noticed that! Do you actually know anything about aviation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

It seems to have stopped at descending at 6000ft. The peaks along that range of the Alps range from 2200 to over 3000m ( 10000 ft ). From the debris, its likely it hit a mountain at high speed.

Its also seems to have been a controlled descent, which makes it hard to understand why it would have been intentionally maneuvered into such a treacherous area.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The aviation industry does itself no favours with the 'we are too busy to let anyone know what is happening, let us fly the plane' line

smurfjed wrote: »
    We had noticed that! Do you actually know anything about aviation?

What do you think? :rolleyes:

The aviation industry does itself no favours with the 'we are too busy to let anyone know what is happening, let us fly the plane' line

Not sure what you're getting at with that one.

I'd rather if I was on a plane in an emergency the flight crew fly the plane rather than be having a conversation with ATC but that's just me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

What do you think?
    that the closest you have ever gotten to an aircraft is when you are going on holidays !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Terrible tradegy. RIP to all on board.

3 questions, I have.

If flying on autopilot , how would the autopilot handle a terrain pull up warning?

If the autopilot was incorrectly set is it possible for it to start its controlled descent early.

Is it possible the flightradar data to wrong due to the low altitude and it being in among mountain peaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

It looked way off-course looking at Flight Radars data on the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,804 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I imagine the controlled descent with throttle reduction then leveling off might be the result of the autopilot altitude being changed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

colmulhall wrote: »

It wasn't. The line linking destinations is not a route, and the earth is round so a shortest route is not a straight line.

Flight radar themselves say it was bang on

irishgeo wrote: »

3 questions, I have.

If flying on autopilot , how would the autopilot handle a terrain pull up warning?

If the autopilot was incorrectly set is it possible for it to start its controlled descent early.

Is it possible the flightradar data to wrong due to the low altitude and it being in among mountain peaks?

1) The autopilot would not react to a terrain warning.

2) In an Airbus, the descent requires manual input to the FCU to begin. (On Boeing, it doesn't, and will automatically start a descent if in the correct vertical mode. )

3) FlightRadar data only shows a snapshot every X minutes or seconds. It doesn't show continuous info. The speed shown is groundspeed, not IAS, which also needs to be interpreted in relation to altityude/TAS/windspeed to be understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

What do you think? :rolleyes:

Banned for a week for trolling and ignoring mod instructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

The Earth is not flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

irishgeo wrote: »

The Flightradar information is coming from the aircraft's altimeter via the ADS transmitter.
    The altimeter is a different instrument to the radar altimeter used when close to the ground (which will set off ground proximity alerts) and this is not transmitted via ADS

• Advertisement

keith16 wrote: »
    The Earth is not flat.

On a predominantly south-north track, the great circle track will be almost a straight line.
    The curved route here is just due to the airspace structure, airway routings and the filed flight plan.

Advertisement