Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What foreign business or service would you like to see in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Havent some people been given life for three small strikes like possesion of cannabis?

Lets not get too 'Merica here now folks.

Why not? Clearly you can see how incredibly effective both it and the death penalty have been, with their nonexistent crime rates and wonderful inter-class relations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Eurostar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Banks open at lunchtime and weekends
    are you living in 1980. what bank closes at lunchtime :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Personally, Id love a Taco Bell. I love this spicy type food.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

imme wrote: »

AIB blessington closes for lunch I thought it was a joke at first but no they actually close for an hour or so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Crackerbarell - food to die for.

BOI Kilrush and Kilkee closes for lunch 12:30-1:30. AIB kilrish doesn't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bob_the_dog

Hooters for obvious reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

imme wrote: »

They all do around here, one twenty miles away opens Sat morn but that's it.

They don't want to deal with walk in customers any more anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I would love a taco bell or California tortilla. Some decent mexican places here but they tend to not have much choice. I was a $1-2 burrito damnit!
    You ever in a bar that served beer below freezing? Mmmm frothy ice running down the glass over your fingers on a 100 degree day! Heaven. Makes you pish like a motherfcuker though.

Nah, havent been there since I was a teenager so too young for that. Might get there in a few years again to try it.
    Peanut butter M&Ms at a reasonable price. They are €3 in tesco for a normal sized packed

€2 euro in a place in Galway if you live near there. Still a bit pricey but they are going to be a bit more expensive than normal unless you go to a country which has them normally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Buddly

Water charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

redtube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

As a larger lady, I'd like to see more outlet stores that sell big sizes, particularly when it comes to jeans.
    I mostly get mine in New Look but it's like finding hen's teeth trying to get a decent pair of size 22 bootcut.
    Online shopping is good, sure, but the major disadvantage is that I'm not able to physically try on the clothes before I buy 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

No just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Buddly wrote: »
    Water charges

If they come with a decent water distribution network and there is no need for water pumps / electric showers to get decent water pressure (in most countries most countries I've been to you pay for water but don't need these ie saving on electricity). Yes they are actually a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'd like to see bank and mortgage products markets be completely opened up globally to see a bit more competition.

I think shortly it may happen in the EU anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'd like to see bank and mortgage products markets be completely opened up globally to see a bit more competition.

I think shortly it may happen in the EU anyway.

I wouldn't hold my breath. I don't think there is any regulation preventing a German bank from lending you money to buy a property in Ireland - the reason they are not doing it is more that handling non performing mortgages / repossessions in Ireland would be a pain for them, and due to the specifics of the Irish property market they would be offering you the same rate/conditions they are offering to someone buying in Germany anyway.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bravissimo
    Waitrose
    Banks that open on Saturdays, open until 6pm on weekdays and don't have **** customer service
    Places everywhere that sell good macarons like you get in Paris

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BHS. I used to buy a lot of stuff there when we lived in England.
    Used to be one on O'Connell Street beside the GPO
    iDave wrote: »
    London Underground
    Legend has it that Michael Collins said if he'd known of the British plans to build an underground in Dublin he'd have delayed the civil way until they'd built it.
    Look at the maps of the railway and tram networks we used to have :(

Proper Integrated ticketing.
    Bikes on buses

And bring back the Travel 90 bus ticket before they skyrocketed the price.

Little green lights on bollards so if you travel with them you get the green lights in traffic.

The old Italian system of providing a circuit diagram with electronic equipment. Even a web link would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Condom machines outside pharmacies, I was in Paris recently and most of them seemed to have one. Dunno if it's just a French thing (they are a bunch of randy dogs after all) or what but it's a brilliant idea, have to imagine it'd be a not insignificant money saver for taxpayers too.

• Advertisement

Condom machines outside pharmacies, I was in Paris recently and most of them seemed to have one. Dunno if it's just a French thing (they are a bunch of randy dogs after all) or what but it's a brilliant idea, have to imagine it'd be a not insignificant money saver for taxpayers too.

Id be quite embarrassed to be buying condoms on a busy street in broad daylight....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

A Shakeaway. We used to have one.... God I love proper milkshakes :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Id be quite embarrassed to be buying condoms on a busy street in broad daylight....

Well that's your own issue :P

Tbh anyways my point was more that they'd be fierce handy for late at night when all pharmacies/cornershops/bars are closed. Fewer people around to see you buying contraceptives like some kind of wanton hussy or whatever you're embarrassed about, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

A decent and affordable rail / transportation network for Dublin and the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

MI5 or MI6. I can't seem to get into the Irish civil service so I'm thinking treason pays well and might feel rewarding. A country house in Surrey with a cute housekeeper would do me.
    The hatred of a nation would keep me warm of a night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

SeantheMan wrote: »
    A decent and affordable rail / transportation network for Dublin and the rest of the country.

A train.

Regards,
    Donegal

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

A train.

Regards,
    Donegal

It's not much, but it's a start..

http://www.hornby.com/uk-en/

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Your Superior

Carnacalla wrote: »

Why on earth would anyone be embarrassed about buying condoms? Seems a very archaic view to me.

One thing Ireland could do with is Leon restaurant/fast food chain. Great, healthy food at very reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

galah wrote: »
    It does. Think another word is district heating, hot water is generated (as a by product of power generation, as far as i know) and distributed throughout residential areas via the water network. Fairly common heating system at least where i'm from, almost 90 % of homes in my hometown (same size as Galway) are heated this way.

Yip, this is what I have in my house. No messing with buttons or worrying about leaving an immersion switch on. Instant hot water when you turn on the tap and proper pressure as well. Hate my parents setup, have to turn on immersion and wait a while if I want to have a shave. And then there is the crappy electric shower that a lot of houses have which gives out a trickle of water with zero pressure. It's a struggle just to wash off the shampoo. Don't know how people put up with such a system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Some of these are from the past, which is, as LP Hartley says, a foreign country; they do things differently there.

Guard's van on trains for bikes, or as they do in some countries, hooks you can hang a row of bikes on without taking up much space.
    Japanese-style street food sold from wheelie stalls - charcoal-grilled sweet potatoes and chestnuts, squid on a stick… all with great street cries

A proper underground metro system for Dublin so you don't get stuck in traffic, but just pop up and down like a prairie dog from Ranelagh to Ringsend to Drumcondra.

A network of separated cycle tracks, so cyclists can whizz through the city without encountering cars, and vice versa.

Bin collection by the councils, not private companies, so it's efficient and the binmen have proper pay and conditions.

Water run by the councils and the network mended and efficient, and an end to shaming boil notices and waste, and I don't mind paying for it in that case.

Dogs upstairs on buses, as they used to be, and allowed on trains too.

And definitely, yes, a payback system for recycling - not just for bottles and cans but also for plastics.

Advertisement