Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What foreign business or service would you like to see in Ireland?

Options
  • 24-03-2015 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭

Any businesses or services you've experienced abroad that you'd like to see in Ireland?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

H.E.B Supermarket. They're all over the state of Texas.The choice of food is amazing plus they practically have a whole tobacco section that would equal the size of Petersons and JJ Foxes.

Remember buying cartons of Marlboro for 40 dollars and boxes of King Edwards for only $2! God I miss that place.

Yes I know! My life is that empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Legal prostitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Getting back deposits for returning bottles like you do in Germany, Holland and a few other European countries. I think it's a great idea as bottles get re-used (obviously after cleaning in a factory) and it encourages recycling in society.

Plus it's handy to get a few euro back after returning a crate of bottles to the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Swiss Federal Railways

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

In Germany there's a tax (pfand) on most bottles and cans you buy to encourage recycling. You bring the bottles/cans/crates to the shop and a special machine gives you a voucher for cash. I think it's 25c for a plastic bottle or can and 9c for a glass bottle and about €4 for a crate. (Open to correction on those prices though.)

Added bonus, in the student place where I was living, people would call to your house the morning after a house party offering to clean the living room in exchange for the empty bottle and cans. Added extra bonus, (one for the students!), you could exchange 16 empty coke bottles (or water or whatever as long as it was plastic) for a 700ml bottle of vodka. Sure it was ****e vodka, but vodka nonetheless! :)

Seriously though, overall it's a great idea. No cans or bottles littered around the streets either as the homeless guys collect them and exchange them for food.

Ah, MightyMandarin, you are indeed mighty, you beat me to it! :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

International House of Pancakes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Money for returning bottles like they do in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Money for returning bottles like they do in Germany.

Didn't we do something like that until the 80's?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Allowing dogs on buses and trains here, that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Banks open at lunchtime and weekends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Drive through Starbucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Water ice. Loved that stuff in america.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Rickshaws. Loads of them. Enough to clog up the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Here's one US company that I reckon could be very successful if they opened a franchise over here. Subject to regulations, planning approval etc of course! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Water ice. Loved that stuff in america.
    You ever in a bar that served beer below freezing? Mmmm frothy ice running down the glass over your fingers on a 100 degree day! Heaven. Makes you pish like a motherfcuker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

International House of Pancakes.

Agree....nom.

But even better.........The Cheesecake Factory..... if only for their deep fried mac'n'cheese. Glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I wish shops in Ireland did gift wrapping like shops did when I lived in Holland.
    Also their local government. Much more efficient than here and no potholes in the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Water Works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

i would like to see an atom bomb dropped on this sh1thole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Lord PuppyMcSnuggle of Cuddleshire

Abortion clinics, whore houses, hash bars, euthanasia, those crazy Japanese game-shows, and Gladiator fights from Ancient Rome.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I second IHOP (International House of Pancakes). Divine.

In N' Out Burger. HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lanes on our busiest sections of road.

Dutch style "coffee" shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Bars full of Thai girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Left turn on red lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The German Government

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

IHop

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Credit card points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Wanker alert but the only thing I miss about Spain business-wise when I visit home is the strength of the coffee, so places that serve stronger coffee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Tim Horton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Chipotle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Breadtalk

Advertisement