Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Stream 7 Tablet £49 WITH CODE

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭dublindiehard

I have one which I used for about 10 mins once, thats it if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Invincible wrote: »
    Yes, still have it, waiting to hear back from Wally runs after initial contact.
    Oh, I sent a PM and payment? Did it not come through?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭Invincible

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Oh, I sent a PM and payment? Did it not come through?

No, nothing came, not even PM. When did you send?
    Checked PayPal now, payment cleared, never got email from them or PM here though?
    Thanks, will get it posted this evening.
    PM me address.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Ahh, I get a message from Boards that says you have exceeded your PM storage quota and therefore cannot receive any more! Time for a bit of spring cleaning me thinks. No harm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I also have one that I used once. Not for me, pm if interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Have to say I'm getting decent enough use out of mine so far, mainly using for fb, outlook, netflix/youtube in bed, poker (screen is very convenient size for this) and then news & sports... It lives between the coffee table and the bedside locker and finding it pretty useful as a second screen when playing games or there's rubbish on tv. Never thought I'd buy into the tablet sales pitch rubbish but I'm finding myself using it :)

If anyone has any apps that are worth looking at send them on, with the small screen size it's very handy using things designed for touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

hots wrote: »
    Have to say I'm getting decent enough use out of mine so far, mainly using for fb, outlook, netflix/youtube in bed, poker (screen is very convenient size for this) and then news & sports... It lives between the coffee table and the bedside locker and finding it pretty useful as a second screen when playing games or there's rubbish on tv. Never thought I'd buy into the tablet sales pitch rubbish but I'm finding myself using it :)

If anyone has any apps that are worth looking at send them on, with the small screen size it's very handy using things designed for touch.

Not to sound like a broken record, but don't forget to claim your unlimited One Drive (for one year) that you get because of the Office 365 you get with the Stream 7.

I've chucked everything possible at it and still have more than 9.5 TB free space left :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Not to sound like a broken record, but don't forget to claim your unlimited One Drive (for one year) that you get because of the Office 365 you get with the Stream 7.

I've chucked everything possible at it and still have more than 9.5 TB free space left :D

You mean 0.95 TB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

nc6000 wrote: »
    You mean 0.95 TB?

No, essentially unlimited (10TB)

https://preview.onedrive.com/?wt.mc_id=Techknow.ie

Might take a few days to kick in, but they mail you when your OneDrive's been upgraded.

Thanks to Fingleberries for pointing it out on another thread. :)

Yamanoto wrote: »
    No, essentially unlimited (10TB)

https://preview.onedrive.com/?wt.mc_id=Techknow.ie

Might take a few days to kick in, but they mail you when your OneDrive's been upgraded.

Thanks to Fingleberries for pointing it out on another thread. :)

Nice one, applied there, is that a permanent upgrade? Just lost 50gb with dropbox so it would be handy to move everything over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 iatethepies

Had a huge amount of difficulty with the battery life but ended up deploying a script that turned off wifi and soundcard when sleep mode was enabled.

I installed a script that turned these off on sleep. This worked wonders for me but take this with a pinch of salt, strangers with candy and all. Search for Stream 7 battery issue and follow instructions if you are having difficulty with the battery. Since I made this change my battery has been dropping about 5% a night as opposed to about 50% previously so this is how it should work in my opinion.

I'm delighted with this but it's taken a while to set up to my liking. Battery and sound are terrible, absolutely awful, out of the box but if you change the settings this should do you well.

I'm using this more than my Android tablet at the moment and am delighted. If anyone has any recommendations or hints please let me know because I'm loving this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

hots wrote:
    is that a permanent upgrade?
    It's only an upgrade as long as your office 365 sub lasts.

Normally that would be €70 per year, but if you can keep finding cheap Windows tablets like this or certain Lumia phones like the 640, you can get it for cheaper and a new gadget to boot :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Bought this at the time as an impulse buy with the view to selling it on. But reading this thread i'm seriously tempted to keep it. The one drive aspect alone would save me 10 euro a month i'm currently paying for dropbox. I presume one drive works the same as Dropbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 barry55555

Anyone in Dublin area with a spare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I've got a spare if anyone's interested, barely used. Based in D13. PM if interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Icdb

I got one of these as an impulse buy. Have played with it a few times. Not using it as much as I thought. Anyone interested pm me. Just looking for what I paid. Bargain little tablet. Will put an as for it on adverts to. Based in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Anyone try put windows 10 on it yet? It failed earlier for me but trying it again.

Stokolan wrote: »
    Anyone try put windows 10 on it yet? It failed earlier for me but trying it again.

Yeah I did last night but didn't have time to play. It seemed almost unusable with the sluggishness and input lag to the point where I decided to leave it until the weekend to fix.

hots wrote: »
    Yeah I did last night but didn't have time to play. It seemed almost unusable with the sluggishness and input lag to the point where I decided to leave it until the weekend to fix.

Also mine failed at the first hurdle until I changed the locale to Eng(US).

I had to change it to Eng(UK) to get it to download it wouldn't work with us for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Win10 working great on it for me. Big improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Windows 10 is working fine on my Stream 7.

I upgraded Everything is working fine. bar I am short on space. so going to try do a fresh in stall of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kingbob387

I haven't gotten it yet :(

Says I'm still in queue for it

Stokolan wrote: »
    I upgraded Everything is working fine. bar I am short on space. so going to try do a fresh in stall of it.

Just to note on this.

I wouldn't recommend doing a rest device from the back up restore settings. My tablet is not stuck in a boot loop :o

I'll need to get a restore disk from hp I think to fix it.

Actually found a link to recover it. have to buy and OTG cable tho :(

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows-Tablets/HP-Stream-7-Windows-10-doesn-t-boot-I-can-t-recovery-8-1/td-p/4968314
    Hi everyone. I think I have found a solution to this problem. Short background story, I too tried to install Windows 10 (10049) via Windows Update but I was never successful - got stuck at around 30% for more than an hour. I tried to restore to 8.1 but it gave me that 0xc000000f error. Luckily I had made a recovery image to USB before updating to Windows 10.

Please note that by doing this method, you will obviously lose your data.

Here's what you'll need:
    - Recovery USB (if you don't have one, grab it from this link and I thank you that person from another post). Follow the instructions, this is just basically clean, format to FAT32, set primary and active, and then drag and drop the files and folders from the USB folder to the root USB drive. This particular recovery is from a 5701 model, there is actually no difference between Stream 7 models in terms of hardware, but software is configured differently (different language setup/format) depending on the country/region it's sold.
    - OTG cable
    - Powered USB hub
    - USB Mouse and Keyboard
    - A moment of your time

1. Plug in the OTG cable to the tablet, and then plug in the USB hub to power and to the OTG. After that, plug in the USB mouse and keyboard and Recovery USB to the USB hub.

2. Boot the tablet to BIOS by holding down Power + Volume Down at the same time, until you reach the Startup Menu.

3. Press F10 and navigate to System Configuration > Boot Options. In this menu, we'll have to restore the settings to default.

So if you have disabled Secure Boot, you first need to Clear All Secure Boot Keys and then Load HP Factory Default Keys. Then enable Secure Boot.

Make sure UEFI Boot Order is also default to as follows: OS boot Manager, USB Diskette, USB CD/DVD, Network Adapter.

If you did not make any changes, proceed to 4.

4. Be prepared to go back to the Startup Menu, because as soon as you press F10 and hit Yes, the tablet will automatically restart. So press and hold the Volume Down button after you hit on Yes.

5. Press F9 and select Boot From EFI File. If you've done the recovery image ghosting correctly onto the Recovery USB, you should see two entries. One should be RECOVERY and the other may depend (it could be SYSTEM or No label). Select RECOVERY, and then select bootmgr.efi.

At this point the tablet will boot off from the USB and will bring you to Windows Recovery.

6. Select your keyboard layout, and navigate to Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.

If the drive partition/boot manager is not damaged, it will ask for a recovery key. You can actually skip this step and hide the numpad, revealing the option Skip this drive if you don't have the recovery key anymore, or just really want to start anew.
    If the drive partition/boot manager is damaged, the Reset will proceed and will ask you to select a target operating system. In my case it was Windows 8.1.

7. The next screen will be about Reset your PC telling you what's going to happen. Tap Yes > Yes, repartition the drives > Fully clean the drive > Reset.

The tablet will now do its thing and restore to factory default.
    After restoration, a BIOS screen will come up asking if you want to clear the TPM keys. Select Yes, and this will create a new key for the restored installation, bringing you back to a fully factory default tablet.

Notes:
    I recommend not installing a generic Windows 8.1 ISO that is copied straight to the USB drive using the Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool or RUFUS. They won't be compressed or the same as WIMBOOT, which will take up more storage space than stock recovery.
    You could actually install another version of Windows 8.1 on the tablet, assuming you know what you are doing (ie. making a WIMBOOT image).
    You could also actually install Windows Technical Preview directly, again, assuming you know what you are doing.
    This is just a guide to help you try recover your tablet from a failed Technical Preview installation. I hold no responsiblities over your actions.
    What I recommend is that use 8.1 for now, and wait for the official release (or at least a more stable Technical Preview release for this tablet if you can't wait that long) of Windows 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Hi

I didn't activate the fre office 365 and 1tb of onedrive within the 6 month period and now can't avail of the offer on the tablet. Does anyone know of a way around this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Hi

I didn't activate the fre office 365 and 1tb of onedrive within the 6 month period and now can't avail of the offer on the tablet. Does anyone know of a way around this?

Thanks

Baring time travel, no! ;)

Advertisement