Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does the ESB install a parked car with all charge Points?

Options

Comments

nokia69 wrote: »
    the bolt and the next gen Leaf should be great cars but the model 3 is the car to watch

The Model 3 will be well above the price of the Leaf/Bolt.

More like High Spec A4 or 3 series prices !

I'll take a 200 mile range bolt, you can be sure GM won't make a slow car.

tcpip1414 wrote: »
    The charge maps is another thing...
    Broken down chargers are not updated.
    I know the Newcastle West one in Limerick to be broken and is still showing as working on the maps. I suppose if the real situation were updated on the maps, then you quickly realize that the max range is only a few miles from home...

To be honest, you'll mainly use the fast chargers and the normal street chargers will only be used if you go way out of town and decide to plug in. If you have the 6.6 kw charger then you'll replace 50% in nearly 2 hrs, with the 3.3 Kw standard charger this would be Zoe makes best use of the normal non fast chargers. But seemingly there is an issue that's causing it to brake chargers, Seems only to be the Zoe according to the Contractor who came out to fix the fast charger one day I got stuck.

tcpip1414 wrote: »
    I suppose if the real situation were updated on the maps, then you quickly realize that the max range is only a few miles from home...

Ah no, not really, I'm doing about 85 miles per day with a 15 min fast charge top up, could get away with less.

I don't depend on the normal street chargers, more fast chargers are what's needed.

You could easily do 130-150 miles a day in a Leaf. If you're doing that mileage daily then you need a new job or move !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

The Model 3 will be well above the price of the Leaf/Bolt.

More like High Spec A4 or 3 series prices !

I'll take a 200 mile range bolt, you can be sure GM won't make a slow car.

still early days but I think the model 3 will cost less than the bolt based on what GM and Tesla have said

the base model 3 will be close to 35K in the US, god knows what it will cost here

still early days but I think the model 3 will cost less than the bolt based on what GM and Tesla have said

the base model 3 will be close to 35K in the US, god knows what it will cost here

It will cost +23% and that's (after) the import duty and VRT are applied to make it cost as much as possible.

The Leaf is about 10 K cheaper in the US than here and they still think it's expensive !!!

+ the USD is a lot stronger now which will make the car more expensive again.

It will be priced about High spec A4 or 3 series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

It will cost +23% and that's (after) the import duty and VRT are applied to make it cost as much as possible.

The Leaf is about 10 K cheaper in the US than here and they still think it's expensive !!!

+ the USD is a lot stronger now which will make the car more expensive again.

It will be priced about High spec A4 or 3 series.

I think you are about right with the price point. Although that should go down if they decide to open a production line in the EU (which I understand is a distinct possibility in the medium term).

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bipedalhumanoid

What happened to this legislation that was "coming soon" in 2012 to make parking in electric spots illegal?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/electric-vehicles-to-get-free-parking-if-new-laws-are-put-in-motion-26848280.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I saw this in Cork the other day - an actual argument took place.

The guy who parked was saying "Ah sure nobody has electric cars anyway... it's a waste of a space!"

It's a bit pointless having the spaces marked at all if there's no enforcement.

The other solution might be a rising pole barrier that's activated by the charger?

There must be a simple, technical way of stoping parking at these with a barrier system as you've already got a high tech charger there.

Looks like it is illegal to park there. The smarter transport Bill was passed - and is thus now the smarter transport act - to make it possible for councils to set up bylaws making it illegal.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2011/6211/b6211d.pdf

I just contacted Dun Laoghaire / Rathdown council to complain about the lack of enforcement. I suggest that others here complain to their local councils and get something done about it. I want to see some petrol cars parked in electric car spaces with big shiny yellow clamps attached to their wheels.

Post Edit:

I was mistaken, it doesn't appear in the list of acts on the Oireachtas web site. It's 2015 and this 2011 bill has not been passed. So much money has been pissed away trying to encourage people to buy electric cars and they can't even enact a bill that would make it possible for eCar drivers to access the infrastructure. It is utterly pathetic.
    http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=-1&StartDate=1+January+2011&CatID=87

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/bills28/bills/2011/6211/document1.htm

• Advertisement

Ok, now I am really confused.

I just read this on Eoghan Murphy's web site.

"New regulations for car clubs and electric vehicles were finally signed by myself and Leo Varadkar in May, bringing my Smarter Transport Bill in to
    law and completing five years of hard work. Phew!"

http://www.eoghanmurphy.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Sep-Newsletter-2014.pdf

This is in the September 2014 newsletter.

So according to that, it has been legal for county councils to create bylaws making it an offence for non-electric vehicles to park in electric car parking bays for about 12 months now.

Perhaps the hold up is just in the county councils passing bylaws?

Post Edit:

Here it is on the statute book:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2014/en/si/0325.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I know a guy who got a ticket for parking in an EV space. In cork. So they are enforced here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,473 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I want to see some petrol cars parked in electric car spaces with big shiny yellow clamps attached to their wheels.

I know this is slightly unrelated, but if the car is blocking the space, surely clamping it doesn't make sense? :confused:

On topic - I can say that the electric parking spot in Cork always seems to be filled by an EV (a really nice Tesla S :cool:). How long does it take to charge a car? And is there a charge for this? Just wondering if the Tesla is effectively blocking the space for the whole day from others?

dulpit wrote: »
    I know this is slightly unrelated, but if the car is blocking the space, surely clamping it doesn't make sense? :confused:

And nontheless I would be beaming with joy. ;-)
    On topic - I can say that the electric parking spot in Cork always seems to be filled by an EV (a really nice Tesla S ). How long does it take to charge a car? And is there a charge for this? Just wondering if the Tesla is effectively blocking the space for the whole day from others?

A fast charging station typically takes 15-20 mins (30 mins from empty). The slow charging stations can take hours, but you'd wouldn't typically leave it there for a full charge, just a top up.

At the moment the electricity is free, but some county councils make you pay for parking while you are charging. I don't think Cork does. I've heard good things about Ennis too.

How long does it take to charge a car? And is there a charge for this? Just wondering if the Tesla is effectively blocking the space for the whole day from others?

Model S has a big battery to fill on a 22 kw it can be between 5 and 10 hours. 43kW Rapid charger to full can take over 2 hours.

On a 7kw it could be more than 14 hours. On a supercharger (which there are four planned this year but none open in Ireland yet) it can be 20-50 minutes.

On topic - I can say that the electric parking spot in Cork always seems to be filled by an EV (a really nice Tesla S :cool:). How long does it take to charge a car? And is there a charge for this? Just wondering if the Tesla is effectively blocking the space for the whole day from others?

The early Model S had a 40 Kwh battery option, but not offered any more.

The 60 Kwh battery would take about 3.5 hrs to fully charge from our public street chargers (IF) and that's a big (IF) the person got the 20 Kw twin chargers fitted.

The 80 Kwh would take about 4.5 hrs to fully charge with the twin charger option.

Our AC public chargers are quiet powerful @ 20 Kw.

Even the 50 Kw DC (fast) chargers would take about 2 hrs to fully charge the Model S 85 kwh. ( the fast chargers are not meant to be used beyond 80% because it takes too long) it can take as longer to get from 80-100% in a leaf than 0-80%

It's not all about speed though, an hour on the 20 Kw public charger is enough for about 60-75 miles range.

The public chargers are not for personal use and I would imaging that the ESB can monitor those hogging charge points and notify them that this behaviour is not acceptable.

The ESB have also stated that no one should abandon their EV at fast chargers for an hour that fast charging is meant to be no more than 30 mins max.

Charging a Model S 85 Kwh at home would at 7 kw or 32 amps about 14 hrs but that will take you 280 odd miles !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

The early Model S had a 40 Kwh battery option, but not offered any more.

The 60 Kwh battery would take about 3.5 hrs to fully charge from our public street chargers (IF) and that's a big (IF) the person got the 20 Kw twin chargers fitted.

The 80 Kwh would take about 4.5 hrs to fully charge with the twin charger option.

The 60 kWh battery was recently replaced by a 70 kWh battery.

Sabre Man wrote: »

All five Model S registered in Ireland are 85kWh.

This idiot was parked in this space today and yesterday:

8ed378e1-9c32-450e-bf1c-3e95b57259be.png

Post Edit:

And again today. Both cars in this picture just park here every day for the entire day. The council does not seem to be willing to do anything about it.

Sabre Man wrote: »

Yes, so you'll now have 40, 60, 70 and 85 kwh Model S's out there.

Lucky gits !!!

• Advertisement

Yes, so you'll now have 40, 60, 70 and 85 kwh Model S's out there.

Lucky gits !!!

Well the 40 was up for pre-order but AFAIR never went into production due to low demand.
    I had a deposit down at the time and a quick search of my email shows the last mention of the 40kWh was a pricing update in Dec 2011.

So it's 65, 70 and 85.

Whatever battery is in the Model S it's unfair for a Model S owner to tie up a charge point for so long, unless they're doing business in town then I wouldn't have much of an issue with it.

It would be a real shame if Model S owners did not purchase the twin 10 kw chargers it means they'll have to spend double the time on a normal non fast charger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Whatever battery is in the Model S it's unfair for a Model S owner to tie up a charge point for so long, unless they're doing business in town then I wouldn't have much of an issue with it.

It would be a real shame if Model S owners did not purchase the twin 10 kw chargers it means they'll have to spend double the time on a normal non fast charger.

you won't see that happen very often

there are few if any Teslas in Ireland yet, and with the range of the model S they don't need to use public charge points as much as a Leaf would

there are few if any Teslas in Ireland yet, and with the range of the model S they don't need to use public charge points as much as a Leaf would

And in fairness there won't be a supercharger in Cork until next year. I doubt many Model S will bother using the ESB infrastructure once the superchargers are available.

Indeed but you will get people plugging in just because it's free !

I observed this on several occasions at the Naas fast charger, being at the Tesco a lot of Locals think it's there for their own private use and are too mean to use their own home charge unit and couldn't care less that I and others might actually need to go somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

This idiot was parked in this space today and yesterday:

Post Edit:

And again today. Both cars in this picture just park here every day for the entire day. The council does not seem to be willing to do anything about it.

Report to the traffic warden. There's a traffic hotline is some cities/towns as well. Ask at the local garda station who is the best place to report it to.

I've lived in a house where cars would continuously park across my driveway, so I had to get fairly familiar with who could get it sorted fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Glebee

ESB installed a power point location in my home town in a quite carpark area that never has any cars in it. I kid you not when I say that a person who lives beside the carpark parks his car infront of the power point even when there are no other cars in the area. Must have a gripe with ESB i guess or else he just a total plank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

pwurple wrote: »
    Report to the traffic warden. There's a traffic hotline is some cities/towns as well. Ask at the local garda station who is the best place to report it to.

I've lived in a house where cars would continuously park across my driveway, so I had to get fairly familiar with who could get it sorted fast.

I've contacted the DL/Rathdown Co. Council and the ESB. I was told the following:

The Council and the ESB are working together to get the required signage and road markings in place and expect it to be completed in the next few weeks. Traffic wardens frequent the area daily issuing tickets to cars illegally parked over double lines and disabled spaces, but they are not yet ticketing EV bays in lieu of the signage being put in place.

My problem with that response is that the signage is in place in the specific location I have complained about and has been there since I started monitoring it.

They seem to be unwilling to have the wardens issue tickets until the signage and road markings are in place for all of the EV charging stations. In the meantime these two losers are parking their cars in those bays and leaving them there for the entire day.... every day.

• Advertisement

It's an indication of how slow we are do get anything done in this country.

This 2011 bill was signed into law in May 2014. Now we're in May 2015 and councils still haven't implemented it.

Advertisement