Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does the ESB install a parked car with all charge Points?

Options
  • 23-03-2015 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,
    I just left back a new Nissan Leaf that I had taken for a 4 day test drive.
    The car was fantastic and really suits most of our driving. The only thing that makes me pause before buying is that in 4 days, EVERY SINGLE charge point that I came across had a car parked in front of it preventing me from charging the car.
    I dont think anyone would park their car in from of a filing station pump and head off to work for the day, but it seems that the Electric point is an exception to that rule...
    There was one car parked with someone in it about to head off and when I asked them if they could let me charge my car, I was told they could not find another spot and to go look for another charger..
    I was stunned at peoples attitude... There are only 40 fast charge points in all of Ireland, so to block a single one, should be an offence (This is the only time I would advocate clamping).
    Anyone got any legal ways to ask repeat offenders to stop this without glueing a sign to their car pointing out how much of a prick they are??
    Pity the ESB has such a useless number of points for what was a great car...
    Thanks for the vent...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

tcpip1414 wrote: »
    I was stunned at peoples attitude... There are only 40 fast charge points in all of Ireland, so to block a single one, should be an offence (This is the only time I would advocate clamping).

But its not an offence. And most public chargers I saw were put into premium parking spots in high demand areas. Any idiot could see what was going to happen.

Disabled spots with actual laws behind them have people parked in them to let people "pop" into the shops for 2+ hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tcpip1414

I suspect that will change soon as the cars become more popular. These are the only spots that if blocked, there is absolutely no alternative and would venture into the legal region of impeding someone from going about their daily life, and that is 100% an offence, though I doubt a Garda would be very supportive..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

If you do find a charging point free,don't forget to pay the parking charge.

One more point on the placement of the charge points...
    I completely agree that they were placed in premium spots and this was just stupid... They should be placed in the furthest point of car parks or the last place that anyone will choose to park to at least try and ensure they are kept free. The placement matches the thought in the number of chargers....
    Nicely done again ESB...
    0 for 2 so far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Couple of charging spots have been put in beside me and they have road markings saying "ELECTRIC VEHICLES ONLY". So no excuse really.

There's a charging point outside the Mater and I don't think I've ever seen an electric car charging or the space free. There's always a car parked in the spot though.

They could just make it a parking offence to park/stop in the parking spot unless it's electric. EUR 500 fine will sort the problem out pretty quickly.

• Advertisement

Reply to:vandriver: If you do find a charging point free,don't forget to pay the parking charge.

Not an issue at all this time, if you cant charge, you have to keep going....

Wonder what the law is if you parked directly behind the car blocking the charge point and ran the cable to your car and then walked away..
    2 wrongs dont make a right, but the charge is more important than an inconsiderately parked car..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Who's to say your car doesn't "run out of juice" right beside the parked car?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Many people run the cable if it stretches to a non charger spot and if the space is clearly marked for EV only in a car park and some eejit parks in it then I have witnessed EV park behind them and charge and tough luck if they can't get out it's their fault (but only in clearly marked spaces not the random road side ones obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Happened to be at the Topaz in Dublin Airport yesterday. The relatively new charging station has two spots with two large signs, "electric vehicles only". Both spots taken with Taxis vehicles. No drivers to be seen.
    It must be a pain in the arse to get a charging point. I definitely would agree with boxing non electric vehicles in to get (an electric) charge. Hopefully it'll teach them a lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

vandriver wrote: »
    If you do find a charging point free,don't forget to pay the parking charge.

A lot of councils don't charge for parking while charging. Mayo is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

toadfly wrote: »
    Dublin City Council do.

vandriver wrote: »
    Dublin City Council do.

I'm aware. I was just pointing out that not all councils charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭irishgeo

toadfly wrote: »

Any electric cars in Mayo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

irishgeo wrote: »

who knows

but I did see a few leafs in Galway, so chargers will be needed in Mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

nokia69 wrote: »
    who knows

but I did see a few leafs in Galway, so chargers will be needed in Mayo

Would a leaf even get to Mayo from Galway?

testicle wrote: »
    Would a leaf even get to Mayo from Galway?

of course :confused:

irishgeo wrote: »

I personally know of two. I've been to north Mayo with my leaf numerous times. Handy having free parking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

nokia69 wrote: »
    of course :confused:

Would it get back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

testicle wrote: »
    Would it get back?

I've gone from Dublin to North Mayo in a Leaf... and back.

In June I'm going to Berlin in my i3... and back. With the Rapid chargers along the way... 4300km there and back.

Mayo is getting a Rapid charger this year as part of the ESB expansion.

• Advertisement

Hopefully it will not break down.. ESB don't seem to fix them when they do..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

My argument to the eejit that won't move his car that blocks me from reaching a CP would be the following real time conversation:

-How would you feel if you run out of gas and at the ONLy available pump at the petrol station I have parked my Leaf and you can not refuel.
    -I will go to the next petrol station -he says
    -Well there are 3/5/30 petrol stations in the town with 6/10/60 refueling points for you. I have one and the nearest second is an easy 20km from here so would you please, move your car before I @€;&?€:)/);&(@;@:&(€;

:D

Or I will just put a banana in his exhaust pipe (God bless you Eddie Murphy :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Hi all,
    I just left back a new Nissan Leaf that I had taken for a 4 day test drive.
    The car was fantastic and really suits most of our driving. The only thing that makes me pause before buying is that in 4 days, EVERY SINGLE charge point that I came across had a car parked in front of it preventing me from charging the car.
    I dont think anyone would park their car in from of a filing station pump and head off to work for the day, but it seems that the Electric point is an exception to that rule...
    There was one car parked with someone in it about to head off and when I asked them if they could let me charge my car, I was told they could not find another spot and to go look for another charger..
    Anyone got any legal ways to ask repeat offenders to stop this without glueing a sign to their car pointing out how much of a prick they are??
    Pity the ESB has such a useless number of points for what was a great car...
    Thanks for the vent...

I tried to flag the charging issue "Public charge points a nightmare into 2015"in a Thread back in December.
    The situation has not improved over the last two years I have been suffering from so called "'Icing" and may never for the following reasons.
    Ecarni.com in the North tell me they have only painted some of the bays green so as not to offend Petrol drivers.
    This often results from a discussion with the petrol car driver who does not know that the charge points have two outlets,as only one bay is market
    NIE/EBB argue that CP placement is determined by access to a 3 phase 415V supply,which seems to mean they are right beside the restaurant,loading bay, trade, or white van man entrance at hotels.
    About 50% of the bays in S.Down are on private land and I believe will never have parking fines.
    There appears to be no enforced legislation to introduce fines in Any of the bays,even DRD car parks, and traffic wardens/Police stay well away from the issue, won't discuss it.
    The situation is also not entirely clear regarding parking in Hotel land, with the years grace now over and "Hotel Guests only" signs up near me.
    Hard to believe that two years on from the Ecar launch in Titanic Quater no one seems to be across any of these issues regarding access to charge the car, never mind the woeful failure rate of the charge points in my experience,waiting sometimes months for a repair,with zero feed back from anyone.
    Put that in your radio programme?

Once the Co Councils start fining motorists who ICE charging bays , people will stop pretty quick. Carlow Town is another place where the charge points are regularly ICE'd, though two of the charge points have been out of service for months !!!

Athy charge point is usually free but it's broken about 1 month or so though showing as working on the ecars map, I doubt it's working now. But they will get an ear full from me again next time if it's broken and showing as working on the Map !

For private places like garages etc, it's up to the owner.

Topaz Dublin Airport, I'm not surprised to see such a busy location ICE'd , only when people go in every time and complain will they do something about it. It is a very tight location and I would have thought the Airport could afford to install a Fast charger and charge for the leccy. The ideal place would be actually in the Airport, I presume the charge points already there are only 3Kw capable and of no use.

Gen 2 leccys will greatly reduce the need for the public charge points, but the fast chargers will still be needed. Gen II leccys are only 2-3 years away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They would need to sort that. If you can't get to charging point, because non EV are parking in those spots. It really calls into question the viability of electric car. They should have an electric bollard that only activated by something on the car.

It is a real shame.
    The car was great and if there was a reliable infrastructure of Chargers (That you can get to) then I would buy the car.
    I will not be buying this car due to the awful service from the ESB.
    Why bother starting this, if they are not going to make it viable and over a week on the charger is still not working.. (I would be fairly cold by now if I was stuck waiting..

It is a real shame.
    The car was great and if there was a reliable infrastructure of Chargers (That you can get to) then I would buy the car.
    I will not be buying this car due to the awful service from the ESB.
    Why bother starting this, if they are not going to make it viable and over a week on the charger is still not working.. (I would be fairly cold by now if I was stuck waiting..

I manage fine 99% of the time but I'm charging at quiet periods, 8 am and 8 pm.

You could wait another 2-3 years and Leaf II and the GM Bolt will be hopefully available in Ireland then, hopefully Opel Ireland will import the Bolt and not pull a stunt like Kia Ireland and not import the Soul EV because they feel Irish people won't have the interest so why bother even advertising it ?

The Bolt promises 200 miles and the Leaf is sure to have the "option" of at least twice the range. You should not need to rely on many chargers at this point.

What really needs to be addressed is allowing people in estates who have to park on the street to be allowed to install a charge point and apartment owners allowed install the charge point because many management agencies will not allow this. This will only happen through governmental intervention and this is not going to happen with the current government.

200Mile range and I would queue up to buy one..
    It would be a Very, Very, Very rare occasion when I would do that in a day so that would be perfect and the the charger at home would be fine..
    I cant believe with the infrastructure as poor as it is, they do not give the granny cable with the car like I have heard they do in the North.. Currently these cable are not 'Just in case' but for 'When it is certain to happen'

the bolt and the next gen Leaf should be great cars but the model 3 is the car to watch

• Advertisement

The charge maps is another thing...
    Broken down chargers are not updated.
    I know the Newcastle West one in Limerick to be broken and is still showing as working on the maps. I suppose if the real situation were updated on the maps, then you quickly realize that the max range is only a few miles from home...

Advertisement