Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think Michael Jackson was a paedophile?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

murpho999 wrote: »
    There was definitely something going on with him in my opinion.

All the signs point to it. A theme park in his own garden,paying off families to keep quiet etc.

People seem to excuse him as he had a bad childhood himself and also he latched on to that and portrayed himself as someone who preferred the company of children and only sought friendship.

This is something a suspected paedophile would say of course and many people seemed to believe it.

Who wouldn't want a theme park in their garden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Definitely a paedophile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I don't know why people think that it's an either/or scenario. Just because he was a tortured man-child with a horrible childhood doesn't mean he didn't also behave inappropriately! People don't want to admit it to themselves that celebrities they admire could be bad 'uns. I saw otherwise intelligent and enlightened friends posting fairly awful things about Dylan Farrow, because they were huge fans of Woody Allen. I loved MJ's music as a kid and didn't want to believe it at first either. But there are just way too many red flags there to ignore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

catgalway wrote: »
    Wacker the attacker, I came to that conclusion when I looked into Aspergers as a male family member showed some symptoms.I thought it sounded likely that MJ might have also shown signs so Googled it and there would appear to be others who think the same.Kids are more accepting of quirks that adults would fine frustrating or annoying.

Oddly, for children with ASD, it is the opposite, other children latch onto differences and actively avoid or, worse still, malign kids on the spectrum, and that's experience both working in the field for the past 25 years and being a parent of a child on the spectrum. Children with Aspergers seem to prefer the company of adults or, at least, older children.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭catgalway

But I was talking about kids accepting an adult with Aspergers so please don't twist what I'm saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Yes, no, maybe?

Maybe yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Oink wrote: »
    If he was a pedo, there are parents out there who accepted money rather than to drag him through the courts.I don't know the circumstances, but I'm ashamed on their behalf.
    Not that I agree with it but I can understand why the parents might want to settle outside of court. Going up against someone who could buy the best legal team on offer is a daunting task for anyone, never mind for a young child. Maybe they just wanted to spare their child the trauma of such a court case.

My own view though would be that if you're willing to come forward with such an accusation you have to see it through to the end for a number of reasons, mostly out of a responsibility to protect potential future victims. There's also the uncertainty that comes with settling out of court where some, maybe a lot, of people will begin to doubt the accuser's original claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I'm not sure why people are posting arguments like "I don't think he was a paedophile, I think he was troubled / had an abusive childhood etc"

The two aren't mutually exclusive, in fact they tend to go hand in hand.

Do people really believe that monsters are born unbeknownst to their parents and brought up in perfectly well-rounded, sheltered supportive environments?

Much as we would all like to believe that child molesters are some different species to us, the reality is that many of them were abused themselves as children and most of not all of them are deeply troubled individuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

^This. In fact, a lot of his behaviour, e.g. speaking in a soft, childlike voice, having loads of toys/games for kids to play with is fairly textbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I don't necessarily think he's a paedophile.

However, I do know that he's bad, he's bad shamone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Wacker the attacker, I came to that conclusion when I looked into Aspergers as a male family member showed some symptoms.I thought it sounded likely that MJ might have also shown signs so Googled it and there would appear to be others who think the same.Kids are more accepting of quirks that adults would fine frustrating or annoying.

Considering his profile how could he possibly have remained "undiagnosed"?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭redshoes15

Yes and got away with it because he was a (very) rich celebrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Possibly going against the norm here but I don’t think he was a peado

I do however think he was a very stupid man (something that isn't really up for debate surely). I actually predicted he would be accused a second time. The family of the Chandler kid in 1993 got hundreds of millions of dollars (depending on where you read it) and then Jackson continued to hang out with kids - there were always going to be people who would try get a piece of that cake - it was very very obvious to me he was going to be accused a second time – long before it happened. He set himself up for it big time. The only thing his trial revealed was that they hadn't actually got a shred of evidence against him - they spend most of his trial covering evidence about his finances as if that had anything to do with him being a peado or not.

But the media storm around, and reaction to the 2005 trial I thought proved me correct when I used to have this debate before that when I’d give my reasons as to why I think Jackson paid the Chandler kid and was possibly right to. The way the media, and the public responded to the "not guilty" verdict was with 'he got away with it' and 'it was a failure to prove guilt' sort of attitude. Why bother going through the ordeal of going through a court case if you're still not going to be believed afterwards?

Incidentally, a fact that anti-Jackson camp conveniently ignore is; if he was accused, and there is actually all this evidence against him, he doesn't actually get to make his accuser go away by paying him off.....just the same as you or I don't suddenly not get charged for Murder if we pay of the victims next of kin. People ignore the fact that the criminal investigation was actually closed and if there were evidence to press charges, Jordan Chandler would have received a subpoena to testify whether he was paid not to or not. But it's convenient to ignore these things. Jordan Chandler’s father was driving all of this and his mother thought it was nonsense and was looking for money from the outset

There is also a lot of stories which I believe to be misinformation about the original 1993 accusations. Particularly around the strip search. No charges were presses, and that says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Considering his profile how could he possibly have remained "undiagnosed"?

Profile has nothing to do with being diagnosed. Lots of people with atypical disorders go through life without being diagnosed. With that said I don't have any reason to think he was on the autism spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

Was he ever a member of the IRA?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But I was talking about kids accepting an adult with Aspergers so please don't twist what I'm saying.

I don't think you read my posts, you probably should before you assume some offence.
    Plus, there are opinions and informed opinions, be assured mine are the latter in this instance.

Profile has nothing to do with being diagnosed. Lots of people with atypical disorders go through life without being diagnosed. With that said I don't have any reason to think he was on the autism spectrum.

ADS is simply an umbrella term for a collection of symptoms of varying degrees of amplitude that are found in individuals at once, resulting in different presentations of social, sensory and intellectual impairments, but not always present.
    You don't have to have an ID to be on the spectrum, social issues and sensory processing issues are far more common tbh.
    It really is a continuum of conditions of different severities and its only when it becomes incompatible with so called "normal life" that it tends be diagnosed.
    In common with bipolar affective disorder there are probably far more undiagnosed cases that are of such a manageable presentation that the person adapts and functions within society, either by learning appropriate social responses and/or their own techniques for managing stress as a result of sensory defensiveness or feelings of anxiety due to confusion in neurotypical company.
    Techniques such as deep pressure and stimming, as well as tapping out rhythms during speech or using keyboards or picture boards for communication can also be of great help for managing ASD

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

No

Because I can't be arsed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Definitley - maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

murpho999 wrote: »
    There was definitely something going on with him in my opinion.

All the signs point to it. A theme park in his own garden,paying off families to keep quiet etc.

The theme park proves absolutely nothing.

Paying off families...well maybe but at the same time if it was my child money would be the last thing on my mind and you couldn't pay me enough to keep quiet, so I have wonder about that too.
    People seem to excuse him as he had a bad childhood himself and also he latched on to that and portrayed himself as someone who preferred the company of children and only sought friendship

This is something a suspected pedophile would say of course and many people seemed to believe it.

Who's excusing anything? Everyone on this thread, unless I have missed something has been absolutely clear in saying that Jackson did have inappropriate contact with children.

But that doesn't necessarily make him a child molester does it?
    Jon Stark wrote: »
    Not that I agree with it but I can understand why the parents might want to settle outside of court. Going up against someone who could buy the best legal team on offer is a daunting task for anyone, never mind for a young child. Maybe they just wanted to spare their child the trauma of such a court case.

This is understandable but again surely if you knew your child had been hurt, in any way and you knew exactly who did nothing on earth would stop you going after that person.

Money solves nothing and tbh should be the last thing on anyone's mind in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

I think I heard he was a big Doris Day fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Lets be honest here, Jackson no matter at what your opinion of him, was beyond weird wasn't he?

His behaviour was insane & sleeping with young boys whilst having had the ultimate lure for them - a f**kin theme park, will always look dubious in anyone eyes. Ultimately, questions will always be asked about him in a negative because of this..... Like how couldn't you ask questions with all the different oddities that surfaced about Jackson and his life?

Who sleeps with another person's child that is not family and doesn't look suspicious......

Exactly.

Advertisement