Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun shop Tallaght

Options
  • 20-03-2015 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Lads have many of you being in that shop in Talaghet RANGE RIVER MOUNTAIN if so what was your experience. I'm just wondering as i have had not a great experience. And for a supposedly new shop they have a lot to learn in customer service and false advertising.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 international shooter

Lads have many of you being in that shop in Talaghet RANGE RIVER MOUNTAIN if so what was your experience. I'm just wondering as i have had not a great experience. And for a supposedly new shop they have a lot to learn in customer service and false advertising.

I was there only 2 weeks ago. I thought it was pretty good. The guy I was talking to brought me into the gun room in the back to show me the firearms they have for sale. That guy, don't know his name, was really sound but after been in there for like 5 mins another worker came in and said very ignorantly that he was needed on the floor because it was too busy. I think he just didn't like me being in there because it wasn't that busy at all and there was 2 lads standing behind the counter doing nothing anyway. In terms of the shop itself I'd recommend going in if your passing but saying that I wouldn't like it to be my regular, go to for most things, shop either. Hope that's not too vague. Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Cap1

It's five minutes from my house. The lad who use to own tallaght rod and gun works there and hadn't changed. Never rings back when he say he will if he did at all. Also he always seemed to be out of cartridges .I was new to the sport and I spent my money else where.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I bought some stuff off the shelf, so I'd no interaction with any staff as such, but it's worth a visit,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Good stock and coffee shop, prices off the wall.
    Very little knowledge of firearms other than your 12gauge shotguns.
    Prices way to dear, I allways do a quick call around the usual suspects when buying my bits and they never are competative.
    Priced 500 .22 cci standard vol rounds, they were €10 more expensive than Mc Carthy's in Prosperous and thats without the cost of diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

I've found they never ring back as well, plus their prices on certain stuff can be a bit crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭tomtucker81

Ive found there are 2 fellas in charge there, one is the fella from tallaght rod and gun.

He always comes across as grumpy at the best of times, and didnt have a clue what i was looking for regards rifle accessories.
    The other chap is younger and full of chat. Very eager to show you around, and can help with most queries and is normally very pleasant to deal with.

The other staff are mainly young fellas, and seem like its just a part time job for them, no real knowledge of things.

I can see how people could be put off by them but if you get the right fella you'll be there for ages talking and looking at different guns!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Really good coffee. And a jacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Cap1

I've been using the gun shop in lucan. When I first went he came across as a bit rude. After spending a bit of time talking to him he was great couldn't do enough to help and isn't to bad on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Ive found there are 2 fellas in charge there, one is the fella from tallaght rod and gun.

He always comes across as grumpy at the best of times, and didnt have a clue what i was looking for regards rifle accessories.
    The other chap is younger and full of chat. Very eager to show you around, and can help with most queries and is normally very pleasant to deal with.

The other staff are mainly young fellas, and seem like its just a part time job for them, no real knowledge of things.

I can see how people could be put off by them but if you get the right fella you'll be there for ages talking and looking at different guns!!

Think the fella your talking about is <snip>, I thought he was the owner he's very knowledgable and loves to talk about firearms. His son works there as well can't think of him name it's something like <snip>.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭tomtucker81

Yeah <snip> is the younger owner, very helpful and chatty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

hexosan wrote: »
    Think the fella your talking about is <snip>, I thought he was the owner he's very knowledgable and loves to talk about firearms. His son works there as well can't think of him name it's something like <snip>.

<snip> is the owner and <snip> is the general manager afaik.
    <snip> is the young lad with the beard and a sound lad. Knows his stuff on guns. <snip> and a sound lad aswell.
    Was up there yesterday to sort out selling the rifle with them and worked out a bit of a deal on a .22. They are nice lads but when your looking for one of them they never around :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Plenty of far better shops around than this sham, he claims he wont be beaten on price yet when you ring up and give him the price you got on ammo etc he just says" jesus you got yourself a great deal there and thats cheaper than i buy them in for" .
    It is not like the Uk we have not got an abundance of hunting/gun shops so the few we have should be looking out for us and not trying to do us, i know how much they can get in deerhunter clothing ,led lensers etc and they can still make a massive profit without raping us.
    He sells mostly bottom line stuff at high prices ,they do have the odd bit of high end gear but he is delusional with the prices, i know for a fact he can get in the jack pike stuff at 1/3 rd of what he sells it .
    I dont particularly like the ****e talk that goes on in some gun shops but there is a happy medium not just pure ignorance when you walk in.
    Carry on like this needs to be exposed ,it might make them think twice about P.R. Dodder i see you have to move on that .223 , you have it up for 1250 at a loss ,he pulled your pants down with that deal and thats not on ,your from that area he should be sorting the local lads out more than anyone else you are the lads that will be dropping in on the way home from work or whatever to pick up ammo or bits and pieces at short notice and give him regular custom ,hearing a few poor stories about deposits on guns as well.
    There is better than him within 40 mins radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

I won't be going there. Rod and gun fleaced me and even then wouldn't answer my calls..
    So as long as there is anybody from rod and gun there then I'm staying out and I'd advise you to do the same..

He wasn't even man enough to answer the phone to me, just even to try and apoligies and explain that he had drove the business into the ground and webt bang..
    No, I won't be going back..
    He promised to ring me with the serial number of a gun I paid for in full. He must have promised me several times.,
    I got all the excuses. The dealer never rang him. He just rang him yesterday he was on lunch.. They're not open till Monday.. Then when I called around to face him... the shutters were down and the shop closed.

Some people are full of it..

Jesus mate that's rough.you paid for it in full and what happened? Did you get gun or money or anything back?
    Did you follow up on it

Got nothing.. Not even a phone call.. As a said I rang his mobile a fair few time.. He just wasn't man enough to answer the phone.. It wasn't like I was leaving threatening messages, far from it.. I was polite and civil..

But now I'm warning all who read here..
    Rod and gun were bad.... And that badness still has a presence in tallaght.

So be advised...,., some folk can't be trusted.

Btw another dealer that supplied me a firearm where paid in full up buying.. I don't mess around with lads in the business. Never had any other trouble with other lads!! Even one other chap that went out of business yet he still manage to have MY property returned to me via another dealer..

Surely you could go up to them an say here what's the fcukin story on me gun or me money back.
    Wouldn't let them away with that. I know <snip> the owner wouldn't want that at his shop.
    You should get up there to them about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Dodder i see you have to move on that .223 , you have it up for 1250 at a loss ,he pulled your pants down with that deal and thats not on ,.........
    I have read this a few times and while i wouldn't have put it so bluntly i have to agree. Not taking a dig at ya Dodder, but i have to ask what was the price you paid? This is not meant to embarrass or single you out, just to put some perspective on the matter. It's just I've seen the Savage Axis, in .223 with scope rings, etc. for €599. That is new price.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Putting the Mod hat on for this one.

Lads, feel free to speak your minds and say your piece. Negative reviews are as important as good ones.

However, any comment must be factual and your own experience. IOW no third hand accounts, stories or your opinion based on something you heard. That is not a personal experience, and frankly could land you in trouble (not Boards.ie trouble, actual trouble).

Carry on.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

they have a hunting club now as well. picture on their facebook.
    when you got your money back for the gun you paid you may think about hitting them where they hurt facebook reviews
    https://www.facebook.com/rangerivermountain

Also lads, he has adverts on setanta sports. Also say his name pop up at the point on ice.

he running the 1916 freedom tour

also a good solo check pops up a good bit of info
    http://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Range-River-Mountain-Limited-532689

<snip>

I was in there once , young fella asked me did i need help . Asked him did he have any .22 air rifle pellets to which he replied
    no , we only have 6mm (meaning airsoft)
    Which i replied , no for an air rifle,not airsoft
    no ,sorry , air rifles are illegal here....
    asked the guy behind the counter who looked like he knew something and brought me into the back room,(but didnt have what i wanted)

Looks like a nice place,Dont know anything about fishing gear and mainly only looked at the floor , but change colour (only thing i can remember) were expensive enough.

Hope you get your money back anyways .

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    I have read this a few times and while i wouldn't have put it so bluntly i have to agree. Not taking a dig at ya Dodder, but i have to ask what was the price you paid? This is not meant to embarrass or single you out, just to put some perspective on the matter. It's just I've seen the Savage Axis, in .223 with scope rings, etc. for €599. That is new price.
    I genuinely wasn't being a dick with that post I seen how much that package was from milbro and a dealer can get it for 400 so he absolutely cleaned up on that deal and that's not right ,yes they have to make a profit and pay bills themselves but trebling the price of something is scandalous and seems to be standard up there . Jack pikes country man suite for example that can be bought in for 20 for trousers and 40 for the jacket so most places sell them for 50 and 70 thats is the RRP but he has another 15 euro on top of that.Ammo the same .It is like he thinks just because he is one of the few we have in Dublin he can charge what he wants.Id rather drive the 40 mins or so to Navan or Wexford just on principal .I can't post some of the stories I heard about deposits and the like but I would encourage lads that it has happened to to post on sites like this and it might make him cop on.You would think if you open up a new business you would change your ways and start fresh but it looks like he has just carried on with what he was like in the old shop. If anybody has any good stories which I highly doubt they should post them up .Fair is fair.

I genuinely wasn't being a dick with that post I seen how much that package was from milbro and a dealer can get it for 400 so he absolutely cleaned up on that deal and that's not right
    I'm not calling you out on it lad, it's just it didn't make sense to me (the price paid when i seen the prices they can be gotten for), and you know how it'd be if it happened to you and someone highlighted it. IOW i was letting it go even though it was annoying me to know if it's the same model, etc just with camo paint. If so, then you're spot on.
    Id rather drive the 40 mins or so to Navan or Wexford just on principal .
    I've shopped in Jim McBrides, on and off, for nearly 12 years or more. He is usually more expensive than most, but he always has the best of gear and plenty of it. So when stuck or simply because i like Jim i'll give him my business. However when you look at the prices, compare them to Jim, and think "Jim's cheaper" you have to ask what is going on. (No offense Jim :D)
    I can't post some of the stories I heard about deposits and the like but I would encourage lads that it has happened to to post on sites like this and it might make him cop on.
    I was born an bred in Dublin. I used to deal with Watts on the Quays, the small shop that used to be in Lucan village and then TR&G. In that order as the others closed. I'd agree with the comments on the quality of service. It was poor, and abrupt. It's why i chose to drive to Athy and go to Griffin & Hawe and they ain't cheap either. But at the time it was Pat that used to run the shop (before John Butler and before he fecked off to Australia).
    You would think if you open up a new business you would change your ways and start fresh but it looks like he has just carried on with what he was like in the old shop. If anybody has any good stories which I highly doubt they should post them up .Fair is fair.
    I heard all the rumors when RRM opened and not one to believe rumors i waited. The initial reports were it's a new lad and good shop. Even now i wouldn't brand a shop as poor because of one member of staff. To open up a shop in these times, especially such a large venture, is a risk and a half. So more power to the owner. However if there are faults then they need to be identified now and fixed.

There is a certain shop which i won't name for the moment until i know i'm on solid ground. I know the owner through my Father initially, and then from meeting him myself. He opened it up due to his love of shooting and having the finances through his other businesses. The first lad that ran the shop was, well i need to watch what i say, but not right. He knew nothing about guns, exaggerated about shooting, did not understand scopes, accessories, used to ring me to ask advice (not bragging but someone would ask for something and he'd ring me with them in the shop), and then on the other side somewhat unpredictable, and at one point threatened, in front of a shop full of people, to jump across the counter and stab me with a screwdriver because i "dared" to demand a refund on a brand new Burris scope that was broken. He said the turrets are meant to screw completely out of the scope body/tube. :rolleyes:

My point is it was not until the owner noticed a huge drop in customers that he took my, and others, warnings about this guy seriously and got rid of him. He then replaced him with lads that are not as bad but still lack ability in certain areas. Only recently i was told by staff that:
    • Buckmark rifle is not a bullpup (mag behind trigger under Irish law means it is regardless of how mad that law is)
    • It is not restricted (bullpups are auitomatically restricted regardless of caliber)
    • A semi auto C/F is only restricted if it has more than 5 rounds
    • Pistol grips on shotguns are nothing to worry about
    • Then could not even name a rifle that was sitting on the wall. Identified it as a CZ 455, which i knew it was not. It was another brand that use Brno actions.
    • That 16" barrels are perfectly legal. There is no grey area at all. Cut to size or bought like that. No issues at all.
    This was all within 37 minutes of being in the shop. Then get spoken down to because they stand on the other side of the counter. !!!!!!!!!!!

The point is, it's the same crap. I now don't go near that shop anymore and if the Father still wants to go i'll drive him, but wait in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lakesider

I genuinely wasn't being a dick with that post I seen how much that package was from milbro and a dealer can get it for 400 so he absolutely cleaned up on that deal and that's not right ,yes they have to make a profit and pay bills themselves but trebling the price of something is scandalous and seems to be standard up there . Jack pikes country man suite for example that can be bought in for 20 for trousers and 40 for the jacket so most places sell them for 50 and 70 thats is the RRP but he has another 15 euro on top of that.Ammo the same .It is like he thinks just because he is one of the few we have in Dublin he can charge what he wants.Id rather drive the 40 mins or so to Navan or Wexford just on principal .I can't post some of the stories I heard about deposits and the like but I would encourage lads that it has happened to to post on sites like this and it might make him cop on.You would think if you open up a new business you would change your ways and start fresh but it looks like he has just carried on with what he was like in the old shop. If anybody has any good stories which I highly doubt they should post them up .Fair is fair.

put up a link to where we can buy jack pyke countryman gear at that price..

I wasn't on late last night so don't know what reply there was and yeah it is a kick in the stones when someone points out something like that .It has happened to us all at some stage buying something or another .If you look at the market he has there with blessington lakes the Dodder.,and the Dublin /Wicklow mountains he has a huge market out there without selling any of the shooting gear especially how popular hill walking is now.Good publicity would earn him a fortune . Watts on the quays , me da bought me first wax jacket and wellies in there when I was a kid the other one on mobhi Rd was around around the corner from my school spent many an afternoon day dreaming in there.Say he used to hate to see me walk in and buy nothing but he was never ignorant or sent me on my way . When I started fishing i bought my gear off him and when i was old enough to shoot I used to give him my business till the day he closed up.

lakesider wrote: »
    put up a link to where we can buy jack pyke countryman gear at that price..
    https://www.irishshootingsports.ie/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3560

First one on google, they can be got cheaper especially if you shop in the uk and use parcel motel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lakesider

https://www.irishshootingsports.ie/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3560

First one on google, they can be got cheaper especially if you shop in the uk and use parcel motel

The trousers are 55 and the jackets 90 not 50 and 70:pac::pac:..give us a link to the prices you quoted..here in Ireland..and if you buy in the UK youll be killed with sterling and postage..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

With regards the price of the rifle, i also thought the same but didnt want to say anything, i only paid €1100 for my savage flcp-k from milbro they threw in a bag and cleaning kit too very nice to deal with too, i was waiting though as it was a special order. That kind of carry on is really not on.

lakesider wrote: »
    The trousers are 55 and the jackets 90 not 50 and 70:pac::pac:..give us a link to the prices you quoted..here in Ireland..and if you buy in the UK youll be killed with sterling and postage..

20150323_132426_zpsr8fi7dlr.jpg
    Poor photo but shows ,70 euro camo country man taken today in Meath while buying ammo.
    http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/jack-pyke-countryman-trousers.htm#.VRCPWvmsWT9

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/new-jackets-and-jumpers/jack-pyke-countryman-jacket.htm#.VRCRHPmsWT8

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jack-Pyke-Hardshell-Countryman-Trousers/dp/B005RXSB0Q.

Use parcel motel postage from the uk costs 4.50 as a lot of shops offer free uk post.

You seem determent to try prove me wrong here so you must have some affiliation to the shop, well hopefully threads like these will make you change your ways .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

Its a great shop in fairness, But and its a Big but, the guy from rod and gun Tallaght is there and that was enough for me not to go back. 2 min spent looking at fishing gear and asking the price of one item of tackle confirmed that the bad attitude from him hasnt changed.

I will boycott this shop until he is removed from staff / ownership.

I dont shoot anymore but had many attempted dealings with Rod and Gun when I shot competitively with a local club, all where tainted by this guys attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭luvhuntin

I have never gone into the shop from just 3 phone calls I made to them. On the first two they hung up after answering and when they finally decided I was worthy of their time It went like this:

M Hello I'm looking to buy Federal Vital Shock in 95 Grain and heard yous are the cheapest
    T Yes we stock them.
    M Can you tell me how they are?
    T They are 42.99 per box
    M Is that for the 95 Grain VShock?
    T Yeah. Yeah I think so, just hang on and Ill check. Yeah federal soft point 100 Grain
    M Thats not what i asked about?
    T Federal Premium you wanted?
    M Yeah vshock 95 Grain
    T These are the same but they are 100 Grain so they are better Ha Ha.
    M Really? How much by the way?
    T 41.99 per box
    M Thats not cheap.
    T You wont get them much cheaper than that anywhere else.
    M Yeah I can, I get them off ** for 35.00 and Im looking for 5 boxes so ill save 35.00
    T Well thats the price, Do you want them coz flying out the door?
    M Good Bye.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement