Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland staff earn 65k a year on average

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Valetta wrote: »
    Source for this claim?
    The staff do get a discount on their electric bills but I'm not sure if it's half price they also have to pay the standing charge VAT on the bills.
    Anyway getting back to discounts the staff receive what about supermarkets retail stores airlines etc that give staff discounts.
    There are some well paid staff in the ESB group but also some who are not even on 65k a year,Last year my mate told me about a job advertised with the company.
    It was paying 30/35k for someone to work in logistics and warehousing,And I'm pretty sure the salary would not double over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Have we established if the OP is a commie yet?

Ah screw it, we don't have time for that, electrocute him!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

One of the least densely populated countries in Europe with little or no indigenous energy production? Makes sense that the cost of provision would be higher. The general cost of employment is quite high here too, which would also be a factor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

An average of 65k is feck all in an organisation that size. CEO's salary plus exec directors, auditors, engineers, etc all push it up. As an organisation it has a huge proportion of staff who are very highly trained. Their average age is something like 40+ with many years experience behind them. They have clerical staff on <30k and call centre staff on low wages. The average means nothing.
    Again, 65k is not huge. My pension is close to that!

If that is a private pension fair play. If its a public pension derived from the state then no, you see how unreasonable a pension of that size is given that you didn't pay into that pot anywhere near what you are getting out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Any back up for this?

Yeah, I used to train them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

buried wrote: »
    An hour ago the power went in my area, on a Friday night. I was all set to get into listening to the new Kendrick Lamar album and have a few beers, then snap-darkness. Checked on my phone to see how long it would take for the fault to be fixed and it said 1.30am. Total disaster. Then 30 minutes ago some ESB workers show up down the road and start work on some line and 10 minutes later the power was back. Fair play to the likes of these professionals. 1 hour ago I literally would have paid the 65k myself to anyone to fix my Friday night, and now, thanks to those lads working on a Friday night, it is fixed. On with the music and a toast from me to those guys! :)

Like I said, the front line lads hustle and are worth every penny. Sadly, there's layer after layer of waster behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Like I said, the front line lads hustle and are worth every penny. Sadly, there's layer after layer of waster behind them.

This is the naive, immature and inexperienced view point of someone who has never held a management position.

When, or if, you do, you will realise the enormous gulf in responsibility and the heavy weight of responsibility. You are never off and don't leave work behind you at 5 when you leave, which you probably won't as you can usually only get your own work done when the majority leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,260 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Any idea of what departments need to be gotten rid of?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

So no back up or source, then

Do you want me to scan in the files after files of staff invoices I have seen? Will I put you on to the Revenue commissioners who are looking for tax on this Benefit in kind?

Done a quick google there for you, don't read this paper myself

http://m.independent.ie/incoming/esb-staff-reap-55-per-cent-discount-on-their-electricity-bills-29771196.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

How do you mean? I'd assume all of those workers are very highly skilled in their area of expertise. I witnessed it tonight literally in the space of 10 minutes.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭brevity

RomanKnows wrote: »
    Is this ESB staff or Electric Ireland staff? Electric Ireland is part of the ESB. Most of it has been outsourced. I can't imagine folk down in Abtran in Cork are pulling in 65k for answering calls for Electric Ireland.

Core ESB is an engineering and IT company. 65k sounds reasonable.

As someone who worked in that call centre I can assure you that I made nowhere near 65k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Ireland is more dependent on energy imports than any other country in Europe except Malta, Luxembourg and Cyprus with the majority of its fuel for power generation coming from the UK.

thejournal.ie

Above is the real scandal. If we must subsidize energy production we should do it locally with biomass, wind and wave/tidal which have enormous potential.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Half a billion subsidies to the energy industry. And you'll notice from the link that every country is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

porsche959 wrote: »
    Your post just shows that no matter how much austerity is pushed onto the hard-pressed working & lower middle class PAYE sector, there will always be those who will go along with the elite's strategy to set worker against worker.

If the unioised ESB staff have secured reasonable job security and reasonable living salaries, fair play to them. Workers in other sectors should seek to emulate rather than attack them.

But don't you realise that every time someone's pay is cut, the benefits of that saving are shared equally among all of society? It certainly doesn't all end up in the pockets of wealthy people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

jank wrote: »
    If that is a private pension fair play. If its a public pension derived from the state then no, you see how unreasonable a pension of that size is given that you didn't pay into that pot anywhere near what you are getting out of it.

Private pension contributed to for 35 years and retired at 55. Well invested and off a good salary. But that's an aside.
    As I say, 65k average is not high for a large corporation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Private pension contributed to for 35 years and retired at 55. Well invested and off a good salary. But that's an aside.
    As I say, 65k average is not high for a large corporation?

65k is high for an average not to mention the business is a monopoly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Warper wrote: »

No it is not high. Take account of the chief executive and directors, managers etc. The average age is in the 40s. I would never have worked for 65k when I was 40 years old with close to twenty years experience, considering my qualifications and I wouldn't expect anybody in a similar situation in ESB to do so either.
    Plus, only the distribution business is a monopoly. Generation and supply are not. Neither is their oversea consultancy or operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

It really annoys me that people use these "average" figures to advance an agenda. If there are 10 employees in a company and 9 earn €26,000 a year and 1 earns €500,000 a year, the average wage is €73,400 a year.

As Mark Twain once said, there are three types of lies: Lies, damned lies and statistics.

It is not a good indicator of the average wage in the company by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭RomanKnows

In a previous career I worked in the ESB as a contractor. It's a huge company by Irish standards. They have a large legal department. They have accountants, auditors and traders dealing in buying fuel on wholesale markets. The largest IT department in the country. Their own telecoms infrastructure. Scientists and engineers. A large overseas consultancy. They raise their own money on the bond market. These are professionals who would command good salaries in any company.

65k sounds like good value to be honest. They were a very well run and professional organisation when I was in there doing work. They pay well for good people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Why? What the hell are they doing? I know its a closed shop with nepotism rife in the sector but come on. Who the hell is taking on the unions - Mr Peabody?

Fair fcuks to them!
    Are you on minimum wage and bitter or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭westcoast66

I have a neighbour that works as a linesman for the ESB and to be honest, it looks like a very handy job. He leaves the house after 9 and is always home before me. Seems to be always on holidays. I'd love to know the amount of days they get.

They seem to get great media coverage whenever there is a storm and have the electricity back in a few hours. Makes you wonder what they are doing for the rest of the year?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

they earn half that over the border

That's the same for most sectors. The cost of living there is way lower. I go up to Belfast for work a fair bit these days and you'd struggle to spend money up there. The cost of living in the rest of the towns and cities in N.I. is probably less than Belfast as well.
    magentis wrote: »
    Fair fcuks to them! Are you on minimum wage and bitter or something?

No, having a decent salary and comfortable life isn't socially acceptable anymore. We're all supposed to be broke and miserable nowadays.

You can also buy from Energia, Bord Gas Energy, Airtricity, Prepay Power and Pinergy. Not exactly a monopoly.
    I have a neighbour that works as a linesman for the ESB and to be honest, it looks like a very handy job. He leaves the house after 9 and is always home before me. Seems to be always on holidays. I'd love to know the amount of days they get.

They seem to get great media coverage whenever there is a storm and have the electricity back in a few hours. Makes you wonder what they are doing for the rest of the year?!
    Everyone is called in for emergencies. Not all of them are working all the time during normal time. Also, stuff like new connections, line maintenance, switching, smaller faults, new lines, upgrading existing lines, line diversions etc go on normally. All that work is dropped for storm works.

Advertisement