Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland staff earn 65k a year on average

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

I work in a unionised workplace and everyone gets paid a good wage. Most new companies are non unionised and want you to work for s**t money and benefits. They want the workers to be the working poor struggling to survive while the top guys rake it in.

The ESB workers also took pay cuts a few years ago I think.

I don't think they took paycuts. I seem to remember that famous interview with Brendan Ogle and I think it was that professor from Limerick. When it was suggested that ESB staff wages should be cut, Ogle's reply was, 'its hard to negotiate in the dark '.
    It's a pity Siptu doesn't have somebody of the same calibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

kneemos wrote: »
    Paupers wage for an electrician.
    It's at least 20k over the union rate for an electrician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

they earn half that over the border

Cost of living is way cheaper. I think people living in the ROI underestimate how much more expensive it is for almost everything here.

they earn half that over the border

Different country depending on your point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

65000 euro a year is an 'average' salary nowadays? Go away outta that. Some people talking tripe here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Is all this not slightly skewed by the fact that the people at the top are on astronomical wages???

you have a company of 20 people. The CEO earns 1 million a year. everyone else earns a euro a year. Thats an average of 50,000.95 each! Sure they're loaded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

65000 euro a year is an 'average' salary nowadays? Go away outta that.

It's a high salary for unskilled workers but not exceptionally high for example for the Engineers that work in ESBI

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    I don't think they took paycuts. I seem to remember that famous interview with Brendan Ogle and I think it was that professor from Limerick. When it was suggested that ESB staff wages should be cut, Ogle's reply was, 'its hard to negotiate in the dark '.
    It's a pity Siptu doesn't have somebody of the same calibre.

Did Brendan Ogle step down from his role with the ESB Union?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

65000 euro a year is an 'average' salary nowadays? Go away outta that. Some people talking tripe here.

It is average. What do you call average?

• Advertisement

Did Brendan Ogle step down from his role with the ESB Union?

I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Average for a skilled trade in a big company. Plenty of engineers dragging that average upwards too.

Warper wrote: »
    Why? What the hell are they doing? I know its a closed shop with nepotism rife in the sector but come on. Who the hell is taking on the unions - Mr Peabody?

Engineers in LAs, garda Sgt, school principles are all on roughly the same wage.

For perspective ESB engineers 65k.

FG John Perry 85k. FG John Perry's wife -anywhere between 38k & 49k excluding expenses.

ESB staff definitely worth their wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

20Cent wrote: »
    Who's Mr Peabody?

Mr Sherman's pal

65k is not a lot of money for many of the highly skilled staff working for the ESB I'd hope many are earning a lot more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

An average of 65k is feck all in an organisation that size. CEO's salary plus exec directors, auditors, engineers, etc all push it up. As an organisation it has a huge proportion of staff who are very highly trained. Their average age is something like 40+ with many years experience behind them. They have clerical staff on <30k and call centre staff on low wages. The average means nothing.
    Again, 65k is not huge. My pension is close to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

a heavily unionised workforce are making good money?

I'm shocked and outraged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

pablo128 wrote: »
    It's at least 20k over the union rate for an electrician.

Again, ignorance of statistics. Who said every electrician is on 65k? The figure was the avarge for the entire company - all grades, all levels. This is the nonsense of quoting averages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

murpho999 wrote: »
    Where is your proof for this?

Can't imagine a call centre worker earning this, it's probably for one area/department that you are on about.

EIther way , so what, €65k is not exactly crazy money nowadays and why do people think that people who work for semi-states or charities should be badly paid whilst they have to compete with the private sector to attract good staff?

Because they do fcuk all. The front-line workers do hustle, but they get even better paid. The rest just sit back and absorb the gravy. Most of the heavy-lifting is subbied out too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

How much of this is passed on to the customer as the cost of doing business, You know they keep saying they cant pass on savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Because they do fcuk all. The front-line workers do hustle, but they get even better paid. The rest just sit back and absorb the gravy. Most of the heavy-lifting is subbied out too.

Any back up for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

ebbsy wrote: »
    They are busy people, doing things like sending out threatening text messages when you pay €200 off a €250 bill.

If you owed me €250 and you paid me €200, I'd be sending you threatening text messages too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Ah the good aul Sindo with the average wage in the ESB being 85k,I have a mate that works for the company degree qualified and they are not even earning near 65k.
    Take Ryanair for example they have around 3/4000 pilots earning anything from 80/140k a year,Yet if you do an average the likes of the cabin crew and baggage loaders salary would nearly double.
    These are the men and women out in all weather fixing lines when we have the crap weather,Engineers that work on domestic power stations as well as the ones throughout the world operated by the ESBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭buried

An hour ago the power went in my area, on a Friday night. I was all set to get into listening to the new Kendrick Lamar album and have a few beers, then snap-darkness. Checked on my phone to see how long it would take for the fault to be fixed and it said 1.30am. Total disaster. Then 30 minutes ago some ESB workers show up down the road and start work on some line and 10 minutes later the power was back. Fair play to the likes of these professionals. 1 hour ago I literally would have paid the 65k myself to anyone to fix my Friday night, and now, thanks to those lads working on a Friday night, it is fixed. On with the music and a toast from me to those guys! :)

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What about the half price electricity the employees were getting for years.

Unreal.

myshirt wrote: »
    What about the half price electricity the employees were getting for years.

Unreal.

Source for this claim?

buried wrote: »
    Fair play to the likes of these professionals. 1 hour ago I literally would have paid the 65k myself to anyone to fix my Friday night

Give me a buzz if it happens again, I'll do it for half the price if you've that kind of dough.

Valetta wrote: »
    Source for this claim?

It's no secret!

• Advertisement

myshirt wrote: »
    It's no secret!

So no back up or source, then

Advertisement