Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland staff earn 65k a year on average

Options
  • 20-03-2015 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Why? What the hell are they doing? I know its a closed shop with nepotism rife in the sector but come on. Who the hell is taking on the unions - Mr Peabody?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Who's Mr Peabody?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

What's the skill level of the average Electric Ireland employee?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

They generate a profit don't they. So why the fck does it matter to outsiders if their labour costs are high? Surely all that should concern us is whether they're behaving ethically?

It would be interesting to see the median wage. Especially before we start berating their employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭ebbsy

They are busy people, doing things like sending out threatening text messages when you pay €200 off a €250 bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Turtwig wrote: »
    They generate a profit don't they. So why the fck does it matter to outsiders if their labour costs are high? Surely all that should concern us is whether they're behaving ethically?

It would be interesting to see the median wage.

It's not exactly hard to generate a profit.

1. Put the prices up

2. Sit back

3. ????

4. Profit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

People power

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Where is your proof for this?

Can't imagine a call centre worker earning this, it's probably for one area/department that you are on about.

EIther way , so what, €65k is not exactly crazy money nowadays and why do people think that people who work for semi-states or charities should be badly paid whilst they have to compete with the private sector to attract good staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭skinny90

any link to support your findings OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

You seem to be forgetting that it is taboo in this country to make any kind of decent money from doing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

So you do care or you don't??:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Is all this not slightly skewed by the fact that the people at the top are on astronomical wages???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

What do you mean by "average" OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

I heard Brendan Ogle on the radio this morning and did wonder how long it would take before ESB wages were discussed.
    Genuinely did think it would be done first on Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭RomanKnows

Is this ESB staff or Electric Ireland staff? Electric Ireland is part of the ESB. Most of it has been outsourced. I can't imagine folk down in Abtran in Cork are pulling in 65k for answering calls for Electric Ireland.

Core ESB is an engineering and IT company. 65k sounds reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

So what OP?
    staff earn that much, on average, some earn less, some earn more, why is it your business?

Jealous???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I include electric Ireland staff with the cohort of state/semi-state workers that include Doctors, Nurses, Fire service, Gardai, that earn their money and their 'sickies' in spades.

Up a fcuking pole in all weathers inches away from one type of death and 10's of metres from another kind of death

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

whats take home pay from 65k after tax ?
    might as well sit on the dole and do something fun

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

They pay back an average of 120 million in dividends to the state every year. Couldn't care less what the employees get paid when there making enough money to pump back into the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Warper wrote: »
    Why? What the hell are they doing? I know its a closed shop with nepotism rife in the sector but come on. Who the hell is taking on the unions - Mr Peabody?

What average is being used here???

Lets all go to Statistics class together, and we wont be getting our knickers in a twist over every Newspaper headline.
    Hurry guys, lets go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

ebbsy wrote: »
    They are busy people, doing things like sending out threatening text messages when you pay €200 off a €250 bill.

That's probably the girls on 400 quid a week, but it's better if we include them all in the €65k bracket, isn't that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Warper wrote: »

Your post just shows that no matter how much austerity is pushed onto the hard-pressed working & lower middle class PAYE sector, there will always be those who will go along with the elite's strategy to set worker against worker.

If the unioised ESB staff have secured reasonable job security and reasonable living salaries, fair play to them. Workers in other sectors should seek to emulate rather than attack them.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

I work in a unionised workplace and everyone gets paid a good wage. Most new companies are non unionised and want you to work for s**t money and benefits. They want the workers to be the working poor struggling to survive while the top guys rake it in.

The ESB workers also took pay cuts a few years ago I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

65K is not exactly a big salary for skilled workers. Plus 65k would be the average and not the median.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 silly_fred

murpho999 wrote: »
    Where is your proof for this?

Can't imagine a call centre worker earning this, it's probably for one area/department that you are on about.

EIther way , so what, €65k is not exactly crazy money nowadays and why do people think that people who work for semi-states or charities should be badly paid whilst they have to compete with the private sector to attract good staff?

even you sign up with bord gais , airtricity , energia etc , ESB networks still get the ground rental , esb networks have a monopoly on the infrastructural service so they dont really operate in the private sector

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

There's senior technicians in Intel making more than this. I don't see what the fuss is about.

It's a company of engineers and skilled tradespeople. This isn't high despite what people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

jester77 wrote: »
    65K is not exactly a big salary for skilled workers. Plus 65k would be the average and not the median.

Paupers wage for an electrician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

I'm guessing the OP is mixing up electric ireland (a billing company), with ESB Networks ad ESBI, both if which are highly profitable companies.

€65k for the type of skilled staff they employ is not a high salary

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

they earn half that over the border

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I will admit I am not familar with the metrics in that sector, but let's face it, Permabear, you would go along with a devil-take-the hindmost/privatise everything/ /neo-liberal approach regardless.

The Lottery staff would have been on average of around €65k a year also with a healthy multi-million € surplus delivered to good causes each year and no subsidies required from the state whatever, so I take it you were against the privatisation of the lottery?

Advertisement