Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban cars

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

faceman wrote: »
    Will me horse get clamped if it's illegally parked? What about drinking and riding? :D
    I'd like to see them clamp a trained attack horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

People die from using drugs, drinking too much,smoking ,being overweight ,
    various preventable diseases .
    A proper education program showing the danger of smoking would be alot
    more effective than banning all cars .
    I Think people who smoke should be charged extra for car insurance and health insurance ,
    Make it crystal clear to everyone smoking is almost the worst thing you can do to your body.
    Apart from using hard drugs.
    Make it a 200 euro fine for texting while driving.
    Put photos on cigarette packs to deter people from smoking.
    Our economy depends on a good transport system ,
    which includes private cars.
    Maybe reduce tax on small cars and electric cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

iDave wrote: »
    Hey Mr Car Mechanic, ok well you did well serving your apprenticeship learning your trade but now we've banned cars so your skills are redundant. But fear not while your on the dole you can also shovel horse sh1t.

I didn't come through Fás to have it's severe corruption problems make mine and everyone elses qualifications a laughing stock of the world AND shovel horse crap :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

It's going to be awfully hard to get food to Tesco and the like when it's all pulled by horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

OP you have made a ludicrous suggestion which you obviously havent thought through. What I suggest is you get rid of your car on a trial basis and we will see how long you last. By the way scabbing lifts of friends,relatives or neighbours in their cars too is forbidden as the test will be declared null and void if you enter a car/vehicle run on fossil fuels. Let us know how you get on and we will go from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Wow 5 pages in and no mention of driverless cars yet? Seem inevitable by now for many current uses of vehicles and will be much safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

How many cars are there now, 1.5 million? Imagine how much foodstuff 1.5 million horses would take out of our agricultural economy? Not to mention the ****e on the roads would be taken to a whole new level and anyone who thinks working near a busy road is difficult now will be in for some treat when every day is full of clipping and clopping all the time. The murder rate will absolutely skyrocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

riclad wrote: »
    People die from using drugs, drinking too much,smoking ,being overweight
    Yes, but it's not like if they don't do those things they won't die. You're going to die, that's a given, it's what you do in the meantime that's important. It's also not like you're going to get extra time as a 20 year old if you do everything right. You just spend longer being an old person.

A proper education program showing the danger of smoking would be alot
    I don't think there's any left in the world that's under the impression smoking is good for you.

I Think people who smoke should be charged extra for car insurance and health insurance ,
    I don't see why? Health insurers already take smoking into account don't they? And smoking has no affect on your ability to drive, that's just being vindictive.

Put photos on cigarette packs to deter people from smoking.
    They already do that too.

Maybe reduce tax on small cars and electric cars.
    Pretty sure we're already doing that too.
    How many cars are there now, 1.5 million? Imagine how much foodstuff 1.5 million horses would take out of our agricultural economy?
    Not to mention you won't get one horse to do the work of one transit van. Everything would also be rotten by the time the horse has delivered the goods to the other side of the country seeing as the horse can't power a refrigeration unit. It would need to have a little generator on board which makes the whole thing redundant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Ban me hole. You can take my water, you can take my money, you can take my right to build a house wherever I want, but if ye come for my Corolla, then it's war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

The car as we know it is a product of the late industrial revolution. Designed to run on the abundant fuel source of the day with enough space for 2 adults and a couple of children. It's a fine design, but I'm of the opinion that it's a design that will be radically reconceptualised in the next 10 to 15 years. We are witnessing the continued migration towards city living.

It's an outdated design when placed in that context. I don't envisage a world where a motorised vehicle for personal transportation suddenly disappears. Advances in battery technology, driverless vehicles and smart city integration will fundamentally change the dynamic though.

It's an industry absolutely ripe for having technology thrown at it. To think otherwise is utterly deluded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement