Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you should know before getting married...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lenny Lushlips

Marriage offers two fundamentally crucial things for both parties (who will no longer be partying)

1/ Someone to listen to your nonsense

2/ Someone to answer the door when you're not in the mood.

If either of these two actions cease, you're married in name only.

Otherwise it's a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Did she not plan it out at all, she knew she would be in this financial predicament. She made her own bed.

You can plan it all out and then look back on same plan with regret.
    She's not a fortune teller... I'm sure she can do simple math and realised that she would be X when he kinds were Y years old.... But she could have been planning to have been in a better financial position at this stage of her life.
    Many people lost their retirement nest eggs in the past decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

So does anyone know what the small print is in the marriage contract? What are you actually signing up for?
    Don't bother yourself with that. Marriage is about love and it'll last forever. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Helps with extra rock and roll and a free council house for sure.

There is no free council houses. Nice narrative though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Will she occasionally laugh at your farts? Either the noise or the smell.
    If yes, stick a ring on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

razorblunt wrote: »
    Will she occasionally laugh at your farts? Either the noise or the smell.
    If yes, stick a ring on it.

However, if she sees this as a challenge, and wishes to out-do your feeble noises / smells, approach with caution...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

jas376 wrote: »
    A work colleague of mine says that before she got married she wishes that she had been advised to have her children early. She is now approaching sixty years of age and financially she is unable to retire because both of her children are still in secondary school. So there you have it: have your children early if you want to retire early.

I'm not sure that makes sense, financially.

The children would cost the same, regardless of if they were born 5 years earlier or 5 years later. Any time away from work would, presumably, be the same.

The total cost of raising the children would be the same.
    The total earned from working would be the same.

She'd have earned and spent the same amount of money.

If she's meant to save for retirement, having money earlier, and children later is beneficial because the money has more time to increase in value. Invested conservatively, it's not unreasonable to expect some moderate increase over time. In that case, it's better to have it sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Never get married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Macavity. wrote: »
    Never get married.

You say that now but give it another 10/15 years and you might be changing your tune.

Never say never. Right now, I can't see myself married but at the same time I'm not going to rule it out completely. If the right person comes along that makes me happy and wants to get married, then I'd probably get married. Not for another while though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Don't marry too quick or young , I was married 17 years to a woman I still don't know.Oh we still talk and are civil but its like a conversation you'd have with till operator or taxi driver.

Make sure you truly have interests in common and separate friends.

Now we're separated , both of us have never been as happy...... funny old world.

I do believe any couple can be happy forever , however I'd guess its very few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Serious lack of sex. Fact lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

italodisco wrote: »
    Serious lack of sex. Fact lol

I think this is interesting....

(from some Durex study)
    Couples living together report having sex 146 times per year
    Married couples make love 98 times per year
    Single folks are having sex the least at 49 times a year.

Married people are a lot better off than single folk; but the living together and not married, they're doing it the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

UCDVet wrote: »
    Married people are a lot better off than single folk; but the living together and not married, they're doing it the most.
    That is probably because the relationships of those cohabiting was on average shorter than those married in the survey and frequency of sex generally decreases over time in relationships.

After all, how much fun would Playboy be if the centerfold was the same every month?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

Things you should know before getting married...

Just don't get married.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Do it or don't do it - I've no advice on that score.

However - a few pointers.

Make sure you are both agreed on how you see your life panning out after marriage. Look past the wedding day, but don't be too rigid with your plan. Just a general like mindedness will do.

If you've already had some bad times together and have got through it - I think you'll be more successful in your marriage. This is why it's good to wait a while. Gives you more time to see all the range of emotions and reactions you partner may go through.

Keep your sense of humour - you're going to need it - if you can laugh together it'll keep you sane.

Men - ladies love the old romance and affection. Keep it going, it's hardly a chore to kiss her, hold her and tell her she's beautiful.

Ladies - men love blowjobs, don't stop sucking after the wedding day and don't let yourself go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Poor saps are getting married before their one month dating anniversary...

Doubt they know what they are in for...

Any advice for my friend?

One month..jesus. Thats just ridiculous, no way you know somebody very well in a month. I mean you can be fond of them, but Ive only known my college friends 6 months and while I really like them I wouldn't say I know any of them well enough yet to know if Id move in with any of them.
    Are they 38/39 and in the big rush to settle down and pump out 2/3 babies before menopause hits?

Advertisement