Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the differences between ISIS and the IRA?

Options
  • 15-03-2015 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

I'm the one who introduced ISIS and Al Qaeda. I asked what the difference is between them and the IRA. How are you getting from that question to a comment in the Dail about water charge protesters??

Mod Note: Here you are folks, a shiny new thread to discuss which of the two above organisations are better/worse than the other. Please keep this kind of stuff off the Sinn Fein thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

I'm the one who introduced ISIS and Al Qaeda. I asked what the difference is between them and the IRA. How are you getting from that question to a comment in the Dail about water charge protesters??
    I think your question took a diversion...

Jawgap wrote: »
    And the proxy bombs - they killed a few 'agents of the Crown' - was that a legitimate tactic?
    At least ISIS suicide bombers seem to be volunteers.

gladrags wrote: »
    The answer is the west armed Al Quaida,and ISIS.
    The West armed ISIS, and...the East armed the IRA?

Not much of a difference there really. Like shopping in Dunnes versus Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

The West armed ISIS, and...the East armed the IRA?

Not much of a difference there really. Like shopping in Dunnes versus Tesco.

Do you ever read the stuff you put up..

not yet wrote: »
    Do you ever read the stuff you put up..
    Even better, I write it.

What the hell does where the weapons come from have to do with anything when comparing the two organisations? :confused: It's just a red herring. It's what they do with the weapons that defines them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

gladrags wrote: »
    The answer is the west armed Al Quaida,and ISIS.

IRA's largest contributor were the American citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

[quote=" It's what they do with the weapons that defines them.[/quote]

Exactly....no one in their right mind views what the ira did to be in anyway comparable to Isis

Where are the tales of the ira going around beheading children???

A bullet to the head or your throat slit and head cut off, dead is still dead.

This is true....but despite what a lot might think....there is no reports of the ira systematically killing innocent civilians after rocking upto there village ???

Again

Dead is dead

Yes....but the original question was....were they different to Isis

You can surly appreciate that there was at least some effort to keep civilian deaths to a minimum (well as much as you can while bombing??)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

This is true....but despite what a lot might think....there is no reports of the ira systematically killing innocent civilians after rocking upto there village ???

Yeah - the IRA never did anything like that.

• Advertisement

Phoebas wrote: »

:confused:

Are you equating the Warrington bomb (as bad as it was) with rocking up to a village and systematically killing/enslaving its population???

Quite a stretch of reality there???

You can surly appreciate that there was at least some effort to keep civilian deaths to a minimum (well as much as you can while bombing??)
    'tis fierce hard to avoid civilian casualties when you're exploding bombs in their towns and cities.

'tis fierce hard to avoid civilian casualties when you're exploding bombs in their towns and cities.

It's long since been proven to be helpful in avoiding casualties in these situations by providing a phoned warning???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Gerry Adams has yet to deny being in ISIS :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭LeeMajors

:confused:

Are you equating the Warrington bomb (as bad as it was) with rocking up to a village and systematically killing/enslaving its population???

Quite a stretch of reality there???

Amazing how Colin Parry can move on with his life even after a tragedy like Warrington.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CEAQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mirror.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-news%2Fwarrington-bombing-20-years-on-1775013&ei=tvkFVeybCcWt7gae3oDwDw&usg=AFQjCNHZ6jKU3UZY90rCVUOFRkMWTmDhYw

It's a pity people in this country haven't the gumption to do the same and continue to use his son as a political football.

As I've said elsewhere, the difference is just a matter of degree. ISIS have more power and are more concerned with public demonstrations of brutality, and have certainly been involved in worse atrocities.

But this is not to say that the IRA has not carried out its own atrocities - Warrington being just one of many.

Are/were ISIS and the IRA both terrorist groups? Yes. Just as Accrington Stanley and Chelsea are both soccer teams. Are they the same? No. Chelsea is a much better soccer team than Accrington Stanley. ISIS is a much more violent/successful (at terror) terrorist group than the IRA.

Jean McConvilles family would probably disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Quite a difference between events like Warrington and taking over a town and systematically slaughtering every non-Sunni.

If you would want to compare ISIS behaviour to PIRA behaviour you'd have to come up with something like 150 militants taking over Aughnacloy and Emmyvale and proceeding to slaughter every non-Republican occupant.

Granted, there have been extremely nasty incidents like Kingsmill and the like but when it comes to comparing the Provo's with ISIS you're really comparing boyscouts with the SS.

Take the mortar attacks at Heathrow for an example. The Provo's probably timed their launch to not hit aircraft full of people while still shutting down the airport. ISIS would RPG the bejaysus out of a taxiing aircraft while running half a dozen suicide bombers into the terminal buildings at the same time looking for maximum casualties.

She is one person who was far from innocent civilian
    It's long been said she was an informer... Going by the Boston tapes

It's long since been proven to be helpful in avoiding casualties in these situations by providing a phoned warning???

In the case of Warrington, not only did they not avoid civilian casualties, but the first bomb drove people into the path of the second one.
    Witnesses said that "the first explosion drove panicking shoppers into the path of the next blast just seconds later".

What was the non civilian target of the IRA when they planted their bombs outside a McDonald's and an Argos on a Saturday afternoon.

• Advertisement

Granted, there have been extremely nasty incidents like Kingsmill and the like but when it comes to comparing the Provo's with ISIS you're really comparing boyscouts with the SS.
    Indeed. Saying that the IRA is/was as bad as ISIS actually diminishes the seriousness of the IRA's atrocities by normal standards, because you are comparing them to the acme of absolute evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Quite a difference between events like Warrington and taking over a town and systematically slaughtering every non-Sunni.

If you would want to compare ISIS behaviour to PIRA behaviour you'd have to come up with something like 150 militants taking over Aughnacloy and Emmyvale and proceeding to slaughter every non-Republican occupant.

A comparison between ISIS and the IRA is overblown but the IRA were not boyscouts.

I think the Accrington Stanley/Chelsea comparison is apt. Both are soccer teams yet play in a different league. ISIS and the IRA are both terrorist organisations.

An even better comparison might be Barcelona and Finn Harps. One is a soccer team on an international world-wide level, the other is a soccer team whose support is confined to a small part of Ireland.

In the case of Warrington, not only did they not avoid civilian casualties, but the first bomb drove people into the path of the second one.

What was the non civilian target of the IRA when they planted their bombs outside a McDonald's and an Argos on a Saturday afternoon.

Don't forget the Birmingham pub bombings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

I think a more pertinent question would be, which group would you prefer to control the area you live in?

I'm willing to bet that the IRA would be the more benevolent of the two. Hell, they might even let you keep your head!

She is one person who was far from innocent civilian
    It's long been said she was an informer... Going by the Boston tapes
    The Boston tapes also say that Adams was responsible for ordering her death. I know you are actually consistent and would say, "yeah, he did it, and he was an IRA commander". But many Sinn Fein supporters would use the Boston tapes to assert she was an informer and then deny the claims about Adams from the very same source.

Which is annoying.

As far as the PIRA were concerned at the time, she was an informer.

I do fail to see how you have managed to equate that to systemarically killing entire villages

I'm not saying it was right....but I'm intrigued to see how you came to equating the two of them

I think a more pertinent question would be, which group would you prefer to control the area you live in?

I'm willing to bet that the IRA would be the more benevolent of the two. Hell, they might even let you keep your head!
    Agreed.

Mind you, if you were having a pint in the local, you'd want to be careful not to look at anyone sideways. Ask Robert McCartney. I suppose they didn't actually behead him, but they did gut him. :(

Don't forget the Birmingham pub bombings.

The ones where your beloved brit state jailed innocent people for 16 years?

• Advertisement

Agreed.

Mind you, if you were having a pint in the local, you'd want to be careful not to look at anyone sideways. Ask Robert McCartney. I suppose they didn't actually behead him, but they did gut him. :(

Being fair Robert McCartney bravely intervened in a row between the ira and an armed robber (friend of his) and got stabbed for getting between both of them....No one suggests they set out to kill him that night

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement