Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

70 year old nun gangraped in India.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Its cnuts like him that cause me to doubt my opposition to capital punishment.

Why is he a cnut? He, his father his grandfather his great grandfather and every man he knows, together with 100s of millions of other men from his socio economic background in India are absolutely certain of the following:
    Females are on this planet to bear and care for children and to work hard domestically.
    They are to obey the orders of men, who are a superior species.
    If they don't obey then they deserve their punishment.
    This guy is only on death row because the rape and murder he was involved provoked international outrage.

Drakares wrote: »
    Source

Sick cnuts.

When India is in the title the word rape is not far after.

India is a country of over a billion people there is obviously going to be more stories like this in the news than other countries because of the sheer size of the population.

What happened is terrible and I hope the nun is okay but dont tar a whole country with the same brush because of a few creeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

India is a lovely country, and a great place to be if your male. If you're female, DON'T take public transport :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

This article is very interesting

India’s Caste Culture is a Rape Culture

A Dalit woman explains how the caste system is a lethal one

That is why we must all break the silence about caste-based sexual violence. We must stop talking about this rape culture in terms of individual incidents. It is more than Baduan, Delhi, Bagahana, or Mumbai. It is in fact the India of today. We must look at this as a systemic, structural problem. We must look at the culpability of the Indian state, from the police to the courts. The shame intended for Dalits by these acts is actually the shame of a country that refuses to protect all its citizens. From the corrupt, rural police outpost to the politicians in Delhi, the culture of impunity protects perpetrators and denies justice for our women.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

India is a country of over a billion people there is obviously going to be more stories like this in the news than other countries because of the sheer size of the population.

What happened is terrible and I hope the nun is okay but dont tar a whole country with the same brush because of a few creeps.

I think saying it is a non issue as there will be more reports due to the size of the country is not a very valid argument.

Have a look at Google trends the word rape associated to each of the 5 most populated countries in the world:

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=china%20rape%2C%20India%20rape%2C%20United%20States%20rape%2C%20Indonesia%20rape%2C%20Brazil%20rape&cmpt=q&tz=

Unfortunately it is pretty clear on on them is standing out and it is not proportional to the population difference :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

fran17 wrote: »
    Truly abhorrent,and in an area where statistically its safest for women in India according to the activist.The irony is the nun probably spent many years trying to civilise them.

Oh ffs. Religion is not civilization.

Nor can you try and paint the RCC as an entity at the forefront of combatting rape sexual violence.

floggg wrote: »

Nor can you try and paint the RCC as an entity at the forefront of combatting rape sexual violence.

So the nun is a woman, but because shes a Catholic....well....what else can she expect. Lovely. Happy Mothers day floggg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

You haven't a clue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Why is he a cnut? He, his father his grandfather his great grandfather and every man he knows, together with 100s of millions of other men from his socio economic background in India are absolutely certain of the following:
    Females are on this planet to bear and care for children and to work hard domestically.
    They are to obey the orders of men, who are a superior species.
    If they don't obey then they deserve their punishment.

That, others are too, does not reduce his cnutyness - does it?
    This guy is only on death row because the rape and murder he was involved provoked international outrage.
    This is probably true, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

floggg wrote: »

Wow,to attempt to subvert this thread and the horrible crime inflicted on this woman into a nasty attack on the RCC really is the bottom of the barrel floggg.Indeed,Happy Mothers Day :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That, others are too, does not reduce his cnutyness - does it?

This is probably true, sadly.

He would only be a cnut if he knew that what he was doing was wrong but still did it.
    He knows in his heart that he's right though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Drakares wrote: »
    Source

Sick cnuts.

When India is in the title the word rape is not far after.

Similar to Roscommon and eh, water.

He would only be a cnut if he knew that what he was doing was wrong but still did it.
    He knows in his heart that he's right though.

That's a point of view I grant you.

So Father, and Grampa did it, Billy up the road does it too so I'm grand.

I'm afraid we'll just have to agree to differ. We treat others as we would like or expect to be treated in similar circumstances. Not as our parents tell us or what the priest or some book says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

sabat wrote: »
    India has a population greater than Europe and North America combined; is there any evidence that crimes of this nature are actually more prevalent there?

The most worrying aspects of Indian rapists is that so many seem to form roaming gangs, like packs of dogs, looking for women/children to rape. That is bizarre behaviour. Also, in the case of this nun, 7 men stood by and allowed a man to rape an elderly nun. They are filth, as are any men who stand by and allow someone to be raped instead of intervening and preventing the rape.

There seems to be a cultural belief that the poorest members of Indian society are worthless and as such rapes are ignored. We hear of more and more incidents of children having been raped and murdered by groups of rapists. So whilst rape is a global problem, groups of rapists working together is unusual, thankfully. Given the caste system and backward beliefs about the treatment of women by the Indian Government I would believe that rape is massively under-reported or goes un-investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

sabat wrote: »
    India has a population greater than Europe and North America combined; is there any evidence that crimes of this nature are actually more prevalent there?

In a country where women are demonised it would hardly be surprising if rape rates were considerably higher than in the west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

bb1234567 wrote: »
    In a country where women are demonised it would hardly be surprising if rape rates were considerably higher than in the west

or rapes might be lower because women are afraid to leave home alone

India is the kind of country that western feminists think they live in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

nokia69 wrote: »
    or rapes might be lower because women are afraid to leave home alone

India is the kind of country that western feminists think they live in

Those are both very true statements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

fran17 wrote: »
    Wow,to attempt to subvert this thread and the horrible crime inflicted on this woman into a nasty attack on the RCC really is the bottom of the barrel floggg.Indeed,Happy Mothers Day :rolleyes:

That's one interpretation. Some of boards lgbt have quite the soft spot for exotic medieval homophobic cultures with a sassy racial bias. RCC is a little too pasty white and close to home to apply, so lacks that essential rad chic status.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

reprise wrote: »
    That's one interpretation. Some of boards lgbt have quite the soft spot for exotic medieval homophobic cultures with a sassy racial bias. RCC is a little too pasty white and close to home to apply, so lacks that essential rad chic status.

Sweet Jebus,is there anything the lgbtq don't take offense to :rolleyes:

That's a point of view I grant you.

So Father, and Grampa did it, Billy up the road does it too so I'm grand.

I'm afraid we'll just have to agree to differ. We treat others as we would like or expect to be treated in similar circumstances. Not as our parents tell us or what the priest or some book says.

Nothing to do with a book or a priest. He cant or couldn't conceive of a world where females would have any rights at all. That would be ridiculous.
    Your trying to superimpose western 1st world 21st century ideas on a 3rd world medieval country.

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with a book or a priest. He cant or couldn't conceive of a world where females would have any rights at all. That would be ridiculous.
    Your trying to superimpose western 1st world 21st century ideas on a 3rd world medieval country.

I think you are being simplistic. India's GDP is huge. They even have a space programme and nuclear weapons.

All of that aside. We are Humans not monkeys or dogs we treat others as we would wish to be treated given the veil of ignorance.

Best of luck with your world view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I think you are being simplistic. India's GDP is huge. They even have a space programme and nuclear weapons.

All of that aside. We are Humans not monkeys or dogs we treat others as we would wish to be treated given the veil of ignorance.

Best of luck with your world view.

I do not get this, they have nuclear weapons and have a space programme. yet there are still charity drives for them????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

I do not get this, they have nuclear weapons and have a space programme. yet there are still charity drives for them????

its a case of poor people in rich countries giving money to rich people in poor countries

Advertisement