Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your accent

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Growing up in Kilkenny but on the border of both Tipp and Waterford has led to me developing a hybridised accent which combines the best parts of all three.

My jovial, slightly coarse, patois can be hard to place but it has been known to make women within earshot instantly wetter than a horse's nostril.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

I have a really strong, pretty terrible accent. Culchie out. I've gotten all sorts of places where my accent comes from. Sometimes I joke that it's from a county that hasn't been discovered yet. :pac:

People don't seem to understand me abroad. I know that look people have on their faces when they have no idea what I'm saying xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

rosie16 wrote: »

People don't seem to understand me abroad. I know that look people have on their faces when they have no idea what I'm saying xD

Imagine getting that look In Ireland :/
    Never realised twos as bad till I went to collage/fas

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I think something needs to be clarified to some people....a 'flat' Dublin accent is a thick traditional true blue Dub type accent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I've a posh southside Dublin accent. Raised in Dublin 4, but it's not a 'D4' accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Imagine getting that look In Ireland :/
    Never realised twos as bad till I went to collage/fas

Ha! Happens to me too here, more often than I like to admit! I don't think my family understands me either. I speak 'Rosie'.

I have a Scottish friend who loves my accent and she pointed out that I can't pronounce 'th' which I never realised until that moment. I need to lose the accent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Mine's originally Cork but now a mish mash of all the countries I've lived in minus any Northern Ireland influence (thankfully :D). Other half is a proper Dub though so that's slowly creeping in. Most people think I'm Australian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭riaganach

Accents... Mine is a southside Cork city accent. I reckon there's at least 4 accents on the south side of Cork city that I can make out: Douglas, Ballyphehane, Bishopstown and Ballinlough.

In work, I have to talk regularly with people from all over the world, so I normally slow down and the accent gets more neutral and mid-Atlantic.

Which reminds me of an accent story: I was being quizzed by security at 4 am in Ben Gurion airport in Israel before catching a flight back to London, back in 1999. I was deliberately talking slowly- because I was tired and because I wanted to be clear for them. The security lady said: 'Sir, you seem to have an Irish passport but you don't have an Irish accent.' I was indignant. I let loose, in a full blown Cork singing accent: 'What the f&*k do ya mean I don't have an Irish accent?' To which she said, 'Ah yes, I can hear your Irish accent now.'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm a from Dublin 5 so I talk like a skanger whose had some elocution lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Mutant south Armagh/Meath accent with slang from both districts fused in unholy matrimony

"Well bai, run you down there and have a hoke for an ah one, this one's bent in a hape hai!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

down da bohham a de road (WESTMEATH)

I GET PED (PAID) westmeath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I am from Dublin and went to college in limerick and while there, my accent went from mayo to Cork to kerry depending on who I hung out with. Now even 4 years after graduating and back in Dublin, my accent still has a country twang to it. I was getting an eyebrow wax before and the beautician didn't know I was from Dublin and told me I had a lovely "singsong voice"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Mines fake. The real one is posh. It doesn't suit purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Growing up in Kilkenny but on the border of both Tipp and Waterford has led to me developing a hybridised accent which combines the best parts of all three.

My jovial, slightly coarse, patois can be hard to place but it has been known to make women within earshot instantly wetter than a horse's nostril.

Piss themselves in fear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

[QUOTE=Jenny Thalia;94674884]Used to be extremely posh, sounded like a d4, thanks to elocution lessons and not living anywhere for more than a few years until I was 12.

Live in Coolock now, have since I was twelve, bar some stints in Louth, Carlow, Wicklow and Limerick.

I don't really have a discernible accent anymore. I speak fairly well, no 'northside' accent but no d4 anymore, thankfully.[/QUOTE]D4 accent and elocution don't belong in the same sentence ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 reluctantly agree

I used to have a Dub accent, lived in England for 2 decades and never adopted the english yaw yaw on purpose but unconsciously I must have because people there did ask if I am english. Brits can't tell diff from Irish/Aussie/NZ/SAfrican though.

Im moving back to Ireland soon and rang a car insurance company for a quote for my car. The guy on the phone threw me, I could barely understand a word he said and the only comparison I can make to HIS accent was the eejit on Father Ted, the one with the bad teeth and who drives the sileage lorry. About the only words I did understand were when he said "£1050 euro, credit or debit card." Outrageous. My car is 7 year old 1.6 petrol Honda. I'm not making fun of accents just saying if a business is going to put someone in charge of answering phones to make you money, people have to understand them first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

You don't write with an Irish accent.
    By jingo you write with a rather posh accent.

Thanks a mil Sir never heard I'd have an accent like that :)
    I presume it's something good? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I'm born and bred on the north side of Dublin but I don't sound it at all. I'm told I'm very well spoken though I do use very Dublin phrases and words.

I think if you didn't know me you'd guess I am a Dub but you wouldn't be able to guess which part. If pushed you'd probably guess the Southside simply because my accent isn't the strong inner city type people seem to expect when they hear you're from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I have a mankey Waterford accent, so I've been told.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I have a mankey Waterford accent, so I've been told.

Hardly that accent where it sounds you've smoked 40major a day since you were 13 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I used to have a Dub accent, lived in England for 2 decades and never adopted the english yaw yaw on purpose but unconsciously I must have because people there did ask if I am english. Brits can't tell diff from Irish/Aussie/NZ/SAfrican though.

Im moving back to Ireland soon and rang a car insurance company for a quote for my car. The guy on the phone threw me, I could barely understand a word he said and the only comparison I can make to HIS accent was the eejit on Father Ted, the one with the bad teeth and who drives the sileage lorry. About the only words I did understand were when he said "£1050 euro, credit or debit card." Outrageous. My car is 7 year old 1.6 petrol Honda. I'm not making fun of accents just saying if a business is going to put someone in charge of answering phones to make you money, people have to understand them first.

That was me. I didn't want ta fill out de form, father.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭biketard

Had to tone down my Belfast accent a bit when I went to university in Edinburgh.

A few years later (still in Edinburgh) I decided to do the TEFL thing and in the first practice class I had to talk about parts of speech. I wrote a few words up on the board and said, "This is a verb", then "This is a naw-een". The whole class looked blank till a German student stood up and said, "He means 'noun'". Not to mention later when I asked my director of studies if "so it is" fell into the same question tag category as "isn't it". So yeah, that's when stage two of the toning down happened.

I've now lived in Taiwan for 12 years and I sound like a feckin American.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Though I've lived in Dublin for a very long time, I need to sign up for these classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I have an English accent with an Irish twang. Enough for people to think I am Irish in England and English when I am here anyway.

Moved here when I was 16, been here 10 years but only lived in England 12 so nearly even at this point! Still no shifting it though.

People tend to guess I am from near London though so I dont even have the regional accent of the midlands.

I love the Kerry and the Northside dublin none-skanger accents. I recently discovered a nice Waterford one too though! I am in the minority that I cannot stand northern Irish accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

I've been told I've a Cork accent which I get quite odd about being a proud Kerry woman.. I'm down home for a 4 day weekend and was at the match yesterday in the midst of roaring culchie gaelic supporters...hoping that'll dhrive on the accent be sounding like a cute kerry hoour

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm somewhere between Liam Neeson and Daniel O'Donnell

"I will find you, and when I do, I'll sing a wee song tae your mammy, so I will"

Advertisement