Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your accent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

I've a bizarre accent too, I think. Foreigners have to ask where I'm from! Grew up in DunLaoghaire but have a posh sounding English mother and a inner city/Northside Dad. When I was in primary, I got an awful slagging for sounding English, so I remember at about aged 7, I made every attempt to sound like everyone else and so lost a lot of the English sounding pronunciation. Always used my Dad's phrasing anyway (which sounds gas with a slight English twang apparently), then I moved to the UK, then back to Dublin, then Co. Clare for the last 20 years. Now I sound like a weird cross-cultural culchie south-sider. I think....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

The best of a South Tipp and a West Cork accent combine to make a beautiful symphony of hybrid bogger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

That's the second time today you've tried to have a go at me, unprovoked.

I think the actual posts between us say not.. And if you're idea of a "grudge" is two posts, you've lead an extraordinarily sheltered life.

Anyway, I've always found accents curious, the entire country has more accents than counties. In Tipp alone, there are subtle differences between, say, Clonmel and Thurles. Its amazing. I was talking to an American ages ago who just couldn't believe the sheer diversity across such a small country. Actually as he said, There are likey no other countries with that kind of variety :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

The Peanut wrote: »
    The best of a South Tipp and a West Cork accent combine to make a beautiful symphony of hybrid bogger.

I can imagine that. Probably sounds great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

West Cork? *swoon*

• Advertisement

Shrap wrote: »
    I can imagine that. Probably sounds great!

Like listening to a bogger Barry White. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Love the Cavan accent i.e. Michael Harding who is very easy to listen to.
    Like the N. Louth accent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

The Kerry and Donegal accents are my favourites. Swoon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Ireland is just fvcking weird. It is isn't it. I was in Australia before talking to a couple of German girls in a pub with a guy that was from Celbridge in Kildare. They asked him where he was from, he said Ireland. Then they asked me where I was from, said "yeah, Ireland too". Then they asked, how come we speak so different then. Couldn't believe it when I said we would have grown up about 15 miles apart. What's that sh1t about? I think maybe the UK is the same? Just guessing though. But outside of that, are there other countries where a ten minute drive means people have noticeably different accents? Down to the whole history of small tribes or something? Not a clue. Is it the same in other countries? Is it not? Why is it like that here? And many other questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Like the N. Louth accent too.

The "M'on the towwwnn" accent? Are you deaf?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Blaa Waterford City accent crossed with a pure bogger accent :/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I've a Galway bogger accent, not to be confused with the posh accent many city dwelling Galwegians seem to have.

Blaa Waterford City accent crossed with a pure bogger accent :/

Kilmacthomas? Lemybrien?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

blastman wrote: »
    The "M'on the towwwnn" accent? Are you deaf?

That's a townie accent.
    We are far more refined :D

Kilmacthomas? Lemybrien?

Worse :(

That's a townie accent.
    We are far more refined :D

Mosie henerbry is frightenly close

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

HATE my accent, born in North Wales, lived there all my life until I moved here 9yrs ago yet still people ask if I'm English :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

scudzilla wrote: »
    HATE my accent, born in North Wales, lived there all my life until I moved here 9yrs ago yet still people ask if I'm English :mad:

Do you get asked often about the sheep?:D

Worse :(

Intrigued now. West Waterford is a total lottery so maybe closer to the city. Rathgormack? Bunmahon?

Intrigued now. West Waterford is a total lottery so maybe closer to the city. Rathgormack? Bunmahon?

Il not say :P

Just that my village/area have a distinctive sub accent of its own ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I've been told I've just a 'special needs' voice. Yeah, I've got a brummy accent. Not ridiculously strong though, most people up north can't tell where I'm from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

brummytom wrote: »
    I've been told I've just a 'special needs' voice. Yeah, I've got a brummy accent. Not ridiculously strong though, most people up north can't tell where I'm from.

Just had a brummie at my door, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

A weird mix of London, Waterford and Wexford. The result of an English mother, Irish father and the county I have lived in since I was 8. I hate hearing recordings of my voice :(

Il not say :P

Just that my village/area have a distinctive sub accent of its own ;)

Fair enough. Dunhill it is. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Iron Man 2.0

I have an 'Odd Donegal' accent but people have mistaken me as being Welsh and Dutch. I have had girls say my accent is cute though so i'm happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Wang King wrote: »
    Just had a brummie at my door, :)
    Was he on day release?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

brummytom wrote: »
    Was he on day release?

It was a she....something about giving me some type of job for €50, dunno what she was on about

May actually have been a workmates missus just calling for his wage ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I developed this fake Irish accent when I moved over so people would understand me.

Yes, pretty much the same here. I lived in England and then France when I was a child. I had a London accent until I was about 10, and got bullied in school for it! So put on a fake Irish accent until it turned into a real one. Now I have a fairly neutral Irish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

guttenberg wrote: »
    Do you get asked often about the sheep?:D

we shag 'em, you eat 'em, who's the fool?

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Dunhill it is. ;)

Worse than that....though if I went to harneys I might be understood if I spoke on the same way as I do at home

Advertisement