Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your accent

Options
  • 13-03-2015 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

Do you have a strong accent? Does it change or has it changed in recent years? I'm from Longford and I used to get a horrid slagging over my accent when I went to the gaeltacht as a teenager.

I moved to Dublin for college when I was 17 and have been here ever since.
    My accent seems to have become quite flat and not as Longford as it used to be. The real Longford side only rares it's head when I get angry or when I've been down home for the weekend. The people in work often comment on it, saying when I'm all cool and collected I sound like someone off RTE but every now and again the Longfordian in me slips out. :pac:

It saddens me that I'm losing my culchie accent. :( I still get slagged for elongating my vowels e.g. raaaaaaaaging and puuuuuuuurrrree thick. :pac: In general when I meet new people and ask them to guess where I'm from, they always say somewhere in the midlands so that makes me happy. :D

So AHers for any of ye that have moved, has your accent changed much, if at all? Do you have a strong accent, do people ever comment on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I haven't lived in Ireland for a few years and my accent hasn't really changed but it wasn't that strong to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Mine hasn't changed, just became a little bit weaker. Not as culchie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Used to be extremely posh, sounded like a d4, thanks to elocution lessons and not living anywhere for more than a few years until I was 12.

Live in Coolock now, have since I was twelve, bar some stints in Louth, Carlow, Wicklow and Limerick.

I don't really have a discernible accent anymore. I speak fairly well, no 'northside' accent but no d4 anymore, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I developed this fake Irish accent when I moved over so people would understand me.
    My accent only comes back when I'm with my family and if I have friends there when this happens the slagging is endless! My family still have it and I wish I did too

I haven't lived in Ireland for a few years and my accent hasn't really changed but it wasn't that strong to begin with.
    Mine hasn't changed, just became a little bit weaker. Not as culchie.

God, there's nothing worse turf-munching bumpkins describing their garbled incoherent mumblings as a 'neutral' or 'soft' accent when they spend time away from the bog.

I'd say the both of you spend most of your conversations repeating yourself because the person you're muttering at hasn't a clue what you're on about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I have a fair hard Tipp accent myself :D

I'd say it's ear rape tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I don't even know what accent I have tbh. I do come out with some really North Dublin phrases every now and again but I don't think I speak in a North Dublin accent all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

"Anto! Anto! Have ye seen Jacinta round man!? Ye have ye bollix! Yeeeaahh roiyyy! Wadaya fookin taaawlking bout? Ye have."

That's what it sounds like when I walk into a bank and say "I'd like to make a deposit please".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Do you have a strong accent? Does it change or has it changed in recent years? I'm from Longford and I used to get a horrid slagging over my accent when I went to the gaeltacht as a teenager.

Nobody in the entire history of Longford ever used the word, 'Horrid' .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I lived the first half of my life in London and the second half in Donegal so my accent is appropriately disgusting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have a middle of the road Dublin accent which sounds posh to the poor and poor to the rich

Used to be extremely posh, sounded like a d4, thanks to elocution lessons and not living anywhere for more than a few years until I was 12.

Live in Coolock now, have since I was twelve, bar some stints in Louth, Carlow, Wicklow and Limerick.

I don't really have a discernible accent anymore. I speak fairly well, no 'northside' accent but no d4 anymore, thankfully.

Oh god, can't bear the D4 accent atal. I think there's a difference between being well spoken and having a D4 accent. Just to clarify, I sound like an RTE newsreader NOT a D4. :pac: That's only when I'm on the phone or in meetings or need to be all professional. Otherwise, it's fairly well spoken with a side serving of Longford and a gazillion curse words. I'm an awful fcuker for cursing.
    God, there's nothing worse turf-munching bumpkins describing their garbled incoherent mumblings as a 'neutral' or 'soft' accent when they spend time away from the bog.

I'd say the both of you spend most of your conversations repeating yourself because the person you're muttering at hasn't a clue what you're on about.

Could be worse, could sound like a D4....;)
    I have a fair hard Tipp accent myself :D

Hawt. I love strong accents, no idea why. A heavy Cork accent. *swoon* I love pure bogger accents tbh.
    Nim wrote: »
    I don't even know what accent I have tbh. I do come out with some really North Dublin phrases every now and again but I don't think I speak in a North Dublin accent all the time.

You don't sound like you're from North Dublin in fairness. You have an ever so slight tinge but that's about it.
    strobe wrote: »
    "Anto! Anto! Have ye seen Jacinta round man!? Ye have ye bollix! Yeeeaahh roiyyy! Wadaya fookin taaawlking bout? Ye have."

That's what it sounds like when I walk into a bank and say "I'd like to make a deposit please".

:pac: Scarleh for ya.

anncoates wrote: »

I must have picked that one up here so....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Accents are what other people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭ablelocks

anncoates wrote: »

was thinking the same. there's a cavan or a louth somewhere back the line - he might deny it, but it's there, lingering from generation to generation and then one day he posts on the internet and the family is rooint.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Fairly generic Irish accent, nobody knows which part I'm from. When I go home my accent changes a bit while I'm there

ablelocks wrote: »
    was thinking the same. there's a cavan or a louth somewhere back the line - he might deny it, but it's there, lingering from generation to generation and then one day he posts on the internet and the family is rooint.

Is 'horrid' from cavan/louth, that direction? If so that would make sense, I went to secondary school on the Longford/Cavan/Leitrim border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'd say it's ear rape tbh.

That's the second time today you've tried to have a go at me, unprovoked. For someone who claims not to hold unnecessary grudges, you're doing a terrible job at it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I was born in Ireland, brought up in the north of England and moved back here 17 years ago, when I was 19. I'be spent nearly the same length of time in both countries.

I live in Co Limerick now, and my accent is all over the place, a complete hybrid of northern UK/Ireland. I work in a call centre, and constantly get asked by customers where I'm from, as they can't place my accent. A lot of them seem to think I have a Dub accent for some reason, which confuses me as I'be never lived anywhere NEAR Dublin.

Some of the customers that call in have the maddest accents! Had people with half Polish/half Donegal or half Chinese/half Cork accents calling in. I love listening to different accents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Dublin accent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Went from West London to culchie Kerry :)

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Dublin accent.

But which side?! Westside is where it's at. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I've been told I don't have much of an accent. I grew up close enough to the city to not have a country accent but in the country so don't have a city accent either. Plus I work with a lot of foreigners and I want them to understand me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Originally north inner city Dublin, now Tallafornia :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I've a flat inner city accent,culchie women love it,everyone else looks at me with a hint of suspicion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I've a bizarre accent. From Dublin, lived most of life in Dublin (bar spells in Belfast and Vancouver) but I'm asked on a weekly basis where I'm from because apparently I sound like a culchie...

I've a bizarre accent. From Dublin, lived most of life in Dublin (bar spells in Belfast and Vancouver) but I'm asked on a weekly basis where I'm from because apparently I sound like a culchie...

Kinda a culchie/Westside Dublin mix. :pac: Still Dublin though. You have a nice accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Im really lucky all my friends ,family and neighbours can understand my accent, it makes life so much easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Kinda a culchie/Westside Dublin mix. :pac: Still Dublin though. You have a nice accent.

I like my accent!its a far sight nicer than some of the ah jayziz howeyiz's around my way!

• Advertisement

My new favorite phrase.:pac: I love you KotE.

I've a London accent with Irish influences, people generally like it and I do too.

Advertisement