Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AIG car insurance - XLNTdriver app

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Pov06 wrote: »
    Well if you can't afford an extra €200 for your car then you really shouldn't be on the road...

How much is the excess on your insurance? Around €200? What will you say to your insurance company in the event of a crash?

"I can't afford it" will not be a valid answer.

Ah come on now... I think most would rather be 200 better off. This "you really shouldn't be on the road.." stuff is pretty nonsense.

I don't agree with these apps either, and will not go for a policy which requires one. However I can see them becoming popular due to cost benefits alone. Which is a shame, but it's the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

That's a bit uncalled for. Totally ridiculous statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Ah come on now... I think most would rather be 200 better off. This "you really shouldn't be on the road.." stuff is pretty nonsense.

The problem is the same people who pay less insurance with a tracker probably also service their car only once it's broken because they claim they can't afford it.

Running a car costs money and if you think €200 is a huge amount to be saving then IMO a bus is a better option.

Well if you can't afford an extra €200 for your car then you really shouldn't be on the road...

How much is the excess on your insurance? Around €200? What will you say to your insurance company in the event of a crash?

"I can't afford it" will not be a valid answer.

That's a ridiculous statement.

Staph wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous statement.

Not ridiculous at all! In fact I wonder how many people have went for insurance with a tracker only to not notice that the savings they make may be lost because their excess is much higher with the tracker.

• Advertisement

Tracker or no tracker, some policies have an excess. It's up to people to decide what they are willing to pay for their insurance and what type of cover they want. As long as people have insurance, that's the main thing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The problem is the same people who pay less insurance with a tracker probably also service their car only once it's broken because they claim they can't afford it.

Running a car costs money and if you think €200 is a huge amount to be saving then IMO a bus is a better option.

Hmmm that's a pretty big generalisation there. I'd rather spend the 200 on mods for my car tbh. €200 is a lot of money to most, I know I'd rather have it in my pocket rather than hand it over to AIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'd be pretty concerned if someone was on the road and worrying about what is effectively 54 cent for every day of the policy in the difference. (€200/365)

Cars are expensive, if you've got one on the road, taxed and insured, you really should have some buffer available to you for "what if's" I appreciate some people are in very hard situations but if you have a car, you really should be able to afford it and the sundries.

Just thinking about a standard 1.0L car. Tax on the old system is about €200 for the year, €50 per week on petrol and insurance, say €500 for the year. So about €3300, or €9 per day. Your €200 represents about 6% of that amount. Its loose change in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Jesus, since when is it wrong to try and save yourself a few quid?

If you want to go ahead and pay the higher price then fair enough, but it's hardly something to be ridiculed over for saving a few quid on something that only makes a miniscule difference. The excess on most policies with trackers is the same as normal policies in most cases. I'm with boxymo and my excess is only 150 and that's fully comp, whereas most other companies insisted on a 300 euro excess minimum.

Staph wrote: »
    It's up to people to decide what they are willing to pay for their insurance

It is indeed but there is a minimum to everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TheTomahawk

Your €200 represents about 6% of that amount. Its loose change in the grand scheme of things.

Wow. For f's sake, guys. €200 is still €200. It doesn't matter if it's only 6% the cost of running car for a year, it's still €200.

If you really don't think €200 is a lot, then my all means lodge it into my bank account. I'll find a better use for it than giving it to another insurance company for the same cover you can get for less.

For someone who gets both cars serviced every year, taxes them both (one is over €700 in tax), runs them both, etc etc, if I can save €200 on my insurance, or on my car service, or buy cheaper petrol, then that's money I can spend on myself, or my family, or with my friends. Or just put into a savings account for later. If I need to spend something on the car, then I spend it. But if I don't actually need to spend it, then why throw it away?

I'm glad for you that you earn so much that €200 seems like nothing to you. But not everyone is in the same situation. It doesn't mean they skimp on stuff, they are just more frugal.

Sheesh.

I'll find a better use for it than giving it to another insurance company for the same cover you can get for less.

That's the point you are missing. It's not the same cover. Cover with a tracker has a lot of disadvantages and the €200 is well spent for any hassle you may have in the future.

There no mention of any difference in policy between using the app and not. It's the same AIG fully comprehensive insurance, with a discount applied.

There no mention of any difference in policy between using the app and not. It's the same AIG fully comprehensive insurance, with a discount applied.

The policy is clearly not the same if it states you need to use a tracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭markpb

The policy is clearly not the same if it states you need to use a tracker.

Would it not be easier for you to explain why it's different instead of telling people they're wrong?

The cover provided by the policy is apparently the same, the excess may be the same, the only difference I can see is the discount if the tracker thinks you're probably a safe driver. If that's the only difference and someone is happy with that, why the negativity?

markpb wrote: »
    why the negativity?

Because they claim it's exactly the same and think they are smart by "saving" €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Because they claim it's exactly the same and think they are smart by "saving" €200.

Have you actually had any experience with any of the policies that include the tracking devices?

So reading through the policy documentation, there is no difference in cover or excess. Using the tracker provides a discount on the premium. If I decide to not use the tracker, or don't use it enough, then they will take more money to make the premium the same as if I had taken out the insurance without the premium.

So, that sounds like it's exactly the same policy to me (apart from me selling them data for a discount). Should I be involved in an accident, the cover is exactly the same, tracker or no tracker.

In fact I wonder how many people have went for insurance with a tracker only to not notice that the savings they make may be lost because their excess is much higher with the tracker.
    The excess is the same.
    It's not the same cover. Cover with a tracker has a lot of disadvantages and the €200 is well spent for any hassle you may have in the future.

The cover is the same.

So reading through the policy documentation, there is no difference in cover or excess. Using the tracker provides a discount on the premium. If I decide to not use the tracker, or don't use it enough, then they will take more money to make the premium the same as if I had taken out the insurance without the premium.

So, that sounds like it's exactly the same policy to me (apart from me selling them data for a discount). Should I be involved in an accident, the cover is exactly the same, tracker or no tracker.

The excess is the same.

The cover is the same.

Fair enough. When I initially said I'd rather pay €200 more towards a different insurance company rather than Boxymo.ie it made sense for me since using the tracker was not optional. The tracker would be hard-wired into the car.

If it's optional then I agree - why not.

Fair enough. When I initially said I'd rather pay €200 more towards a different insurance company rather than Boxymo.ie it made sense for me since using the tracker was not optional. The tracker would be hard-wired into the car.

Yeah, in the case, I would agree with you. The AIG model is a different one - worth looking at (without the tracker, their comprehensive insurance was still €100 cheaper than the cheapest AA, and FBD. And €600 less than 123.ie, whatever they were thinking...!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭positron

Any update on how those who have the driver app is doing since? Any updates in general? I am considering switching to AIG but need to explain to the other half about this app and how it works etc, and emm lets just say pessimism is strong with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tomaso11

I got it Jan and never had any issues with them, app doesn't always start at the beginning/end of the journey but over all works well. I got a letter after I completed the 500km and they sent the money back to my account with the discount they promised.

Although, there is no need to keep it after that I haven't removed so far.

Advertisement