Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AIG car insurance - XLNTdriver app

Options
  • 13-03-2015 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Just bought motor insurance policy with AIG. I did a fair bit of shopping and it came out cheapest of the lot. Part of the deal is to install and run XLNTdriver smartphone app, which records my journeys and provides my driving score. Today is the first day I've used it. It takes a while for the journey to be processed on AIG servers, still haven't got the score back 4 hours later. It only recorded 7 minutes of my 30 minute journey, but FAQs state that's ok.

Anyone else using it? How do you find it overall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Given my experience in the development side of things for the G-Meters, accelerometers and GPS capabilities of phones, I feel these apps are a license for the insurance company to nail you.

If I had one, I'd mount it to a gyroscope mount in the boot and leave it there :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Attach it to a pet dog and let them scratch their heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

ironclaw wrote: »
    Given my experience in the development side of things for the G-Meters, accelerometers and GPS capabilities of phones, I feel these apps are a license for the insurance company to nail you.

If I had one, I'd mount it to a gyroscope mount in the boot and leave it there :pac:
    I had the same suspicions - had to look up the app - permissions are for gps/gsm location.
    Do apps need separate permissions for accelerometers etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I was also think of some "damper" for it if accelerometers were accessed. Gyro gimbal sounds like a plan!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Shortly after Hell freezes over. That is all. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭birchtree

I was thinking of leaving it with my friend bus driver LOL.

Not sure how insurance company would 'nail me' - would it report me to Gardai if they thought I'm a really bad driver? Would that data stand in court?

It would be quite interesting to see what would they give me if I asked to provide me with all my personal data they possess under Data Protection Act!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

birchtree wrote: »
    I was thinking of leaving it with my friend bus driver LOL.

Not sure how insurance company would 'nail me' - would it report me to Gardai if they thought I'm a really bad driver? Would that data stand in court?

It would be quite interesting to see what would they give me if I asked to provide me with all my personal data they possess under Data Protection Act!

They'd give you the runaround. That blasted Data Protection Act seems to exist mostly to "protect" people from their own information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

Example scenario:

The smartphone is logging you at 51kph in a 50kph zone some night. A cyclist with no lights breaks a red light at a crossroads and you hit them and kill them. The situation has now turned from the cyclist breaking a read light being the cause of death to a speeding motorist being the cause of death.

Example scenario:

The smartphone is logging you at 51kph in a 50kph zone some night. A cyclist with no lights breaks a red light at a crossroads and you hit them and kill them. The situation has now turned from the cyclist breaking a read light being the cause of death to a speeding motorist being the cause of death.

This basically is the issue.

Even for companies with trackers, the vans are 'speeding' if even 1km/h over. You actually have to look at the data to see that they were a shade over. Think about all the 30km/h zones (i.e. The quays) Granted you should be observing the limit but going over 30km/h is very easy, even taking off from the lights. Harsh breaking, I'd do that once or twice a week on the M50 for the lane jumpers or the late night pedestrians in town thinking we can see them wearing black in the rain.

Remember, its data being fed into some logic, at a basic level:

Is speed greater than limit? Yes -> Increase risk

Personally, its just a bad idea. The technology isn't smart enough.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Even for companies with trackers, the vans are 'speeding' if even 1km/h over. You actually have to look at the data to see that they were a shade over. Think about all the 30km/h zones (i.e. The quays) Granted you should be observing the limit but going over 30km/h is very easy, even taking off from the lights. Harsh breaking, I'd do that once or twice a week on the M50 for the lane jumpers or the late night pedestrians in town thinking we can see them wearing black in the rain.

Accuracy of agps data can be way off, so it's not really a fantastic way of catching people out for speeding.

The whole thing seems very easy to manipulate as a user of it. Only turn it on once in a while on a trip to the shops. And then turn it off and hoon around the back roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

I just looked at the app.

it is entirely possible for anyone to get a policy number from a windscreen in a car park. ..
    And use the app.

How would that work out for the policy holder ??

pa990 wrote: »
    it is entirely possible for anyone to get a policy number from a windscreen in a car park. ..
    And use the app.

I'm going to the Nürburgring in a few weeks if anyone wants to find out :pac:

OSI wrote: »
    Is it an Android app? Hook it up to Android Studio and use mock location data.

I'll keep that in mind!
    OSI wrote: »
    Not a hope the data from these apps is even remotely admissible in court. Dashcam footage isn't even for the most part.

I'm about to get a dashcam. Any good links to read about when the footage would stand up for itself and when not?

I just looked at the app.

And use the app.

How would that work out for the policy holder ??

They are able to link it on their side. They could tell me whether I have downloaded the app or not.
    Can't leave the phone at home either - must travel 500km in the first 90 days.

AIG are big time into data analytics, so they will try to avoid dumb pitfalls. Well, I hope they will. I'd say they'll be looking into % of your speed relative to speed limit. Which will make those paranoids driving at 25km/h really good drivers.

They say that the risk and thus the premium will not be increased for 'bad drivers' - I think they just don't want to go there just yet. However, they can make any rule they want as a reason why they would refuse or bump up premium next year.

I'd LOVE TO see their algorithms.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

Example scenario:

I very much doubt that this app was ever developed for such circumstances. It's much more likely to be intended for analysing a driver's behaviour over time (with reference to speed, acceleration, harsh braking, distance travelled and so on) and then placing the driver into a risk category on the basis of his or her driving.

I expect attempts to use mobile phones to analyse the Insured party's behaviour will become more and more common (eg health Insurance app might see how much time you spend in pubs or gyms and it feeds into risk assessment, and ultimately premium).

Also the claim that the data only would be assessed positively is a fairly blatant red herring to ease this practice into mainstream acceptance. Once they change their mind they could just rely on previously gathered data. Do they say anything about how long they keep your historic data for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Obviously no-one commenting has read the terns and conditions or FAQ if the app.

I've covered over 2000miles on it so far in past 3 weeks. Current score of 81.

Only part of score relates to speed. Part relates to time if day, phone use and driving style.

They guarantee it will not increase the premium, but discounts if score is high enough.

You can also choose to have it on manual start - so just record the journeys you want.

Considering my insurance is at a lifetime low of under €400 (high mileage, decent car, 30 years without claim) , I'm happy with it.

delahuntv wrote: »
    I've covered over 2000miles on it so far in past 3 weeks. Current score of 81.

Well done, I'm at 78.
    delahuntv wrote: »
    You can also choose to have it on manual start - so just record the journeys you want.

Yeah that works a bit funny. Sometimes it just switches on by itself - picked up when I went for a walk and recorded a journey (at a score of 79?!). And sometimes I manually start it, and it wouldn't record the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

Gas the cynicism here haha...

Iv been researching it today. My current insurer wants 750 euro for a renewal on last years policy of 390. Not mentioning any names but they can ask my Swiss.

Iv been shopping around and getting quotes 550-650 average. Then all of a sudden this XLNT app based policy is offered for €360!! Pretty much a no brainer with a near identical policy.

For the cynics amongst us:

You pay your premium and further discounts of 10% apply in the first 3 months if you're good. If you are bold nothing can happen. Only way they claw back money from you if you don't use the app for 500km in 90 days or 45 journeys. The next 9 months is just use of the app for your own personal benefit. So delete it if you like.

I wouldn't be concerned about the data being used even if they could. Insurer has to pay out in the event of an accident. Not like you have a prior agreement with our insurance company you promise not to crash. Maybe it could be used for your protection in a disputed liability claim? Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Gas the cynicism here haha...

Iv been researching it today. My current insurer wants 750 euro for a renewal on last years policy of 390. Not mentioning any names but they can ask my Swiss.

Iv been shopping around and getting quotes 550-650 average. Then all of a sudden this XLNT app based policy is offered for €360!! Pretty much a no brainer with a near identical policy.

For the cynics amongst us:

You pay your premium and further discounts of 10% apply in the first 3 months if you're good. If you are bold nothing can happen. Only way they claw back money from you if you don't use the app for 500km in 90 days or 45 journeys. The next 9 months is just use of the app for your own personal benefit. So delete it if you like.

I wouldn't be concerned about the data being used even if they could. Insurer has to pay out in the event of an accident. Not like you have a prior agreement with our insurance company you promise not to crash. Maybe it could be used for your protection in a disputed liability claim? Who knows.

So... What's the minimum time frame you have to have the app or the minimum milage I would have to do before I could discard the app.

ie, if I did 1000km in the first week, could I then delete it and maintain the financial benefits?

• Advertisement

So... What's the minimum time frame you have to have the app or the minimum milage I would have to do before I could discard the app.

ie, if I did 1000km in the first week, could I then delete it and maintain the financial benefits?
    You're agreeing to use the app for 90 days and within that 90 days you must do 500km or 45 journeys. If you won't follow them conditions they can cancel your policy or request the 30% discount on their 'deluxe' policy you took out.

There is a facility in the app to say you were a passenger in a car, on a bus, train etc after a journey so they won't effect your score.

Im yet to find a negative in such cheap cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tomaso11

Has anyone noticed a change over the last couple of weeks?

I've been using the app with no issues since Jan, averaging 78/79... however, in the last two weeks starting recording journeys randomly (usually, 6 to 8 minutes out of a 30 minutes journey).. it seems it starts/stops during the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

Im yet to find a negative in such cheap cover.

Currently, the purpose of the app is to gather and save data. They're giving discounts in order to entice people into using it, and not applying penalties just yet.

What happens when in a few years, and with a massive bank of data saved by the insurance company, they decide that your risk category is now subject to a premium increase? The data will become akin to your no claims bonus.

Currently, the purpose of the app is to gather and save data. They're giving discounts in order to entice people into using it, and not applying penalties just yet.

What happens when in a few years, and with a massive bank of data saved by the insurance company, they decide that your risk category is now subject to a premium increase? The data will become akin to your no claims bonus.
    Who is stating this or is this just a projection? There is nothing to state in your agreement with them this data will effect future premiums with the company. It wouldn't be an even playing field. How would they expect to keep business if they load customers with an extra risk factor. You would just move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Who is stating this or is this just a projection? There is nothing to state in your agreement with them this data will effect future premiums with the company. It wouldn't be an even playing field. How would they expect to keep business if they load customers with an extra risk factor. You would just move on.

I can almost guarantee that there is a clause in the small print that allows them to use your data any way they want, there may even be a clause allowing them to share/sell the data.
    Unless they explicitly say they will delete your data after x amount of time or when you stop being a customer then you can bet that your data will be in a database somewhere for analytics to be run on it.
    Companies can make a lot of money from peoples data, without users even being aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Its not a case of using it for 45 days and dumping it.

It must be used once every 21 days.

If the terms are not adhered to they can increase your premium.

I'm at 80 but get get silly readings which I just change to being a passenger.
    One thing is is doing is making me conscious of my speed and driving habits which can only be a good thing.

The odd thing is that its an hour out since the clocks changed.

Its not a case of using it for 45 days and dumping it.

It must be used once every 21 days.

If the terms are not adhered to they can increase your premium.

I'm at 80 but get get silly readings which I just change to being a passenger.
    One thing is is doing is making me conscious of my speed and driving habits which can only be a good thing.

The odd thing is that its an hour out since the clocks changed.
    Thats what I was told over the phone. It must be used for 90 days then after that and I quote "you can use it for your own benefit". You're probably right though as you are using it and would know better than me.

Silly the time being out considering when you are driving effects your score.

One thing they mentioned regarding the data was you may not qualify for the 30% discount next year should you not meet the criteria. Im not sure if thats regarding the use through the term of your policy or the average score.

BigEejit wrote: »
    I can almost guarantee that there is a clause in the small print that allows them to use your data any way they want, there may even be a clause allowing them to share/sell the data.
    Unless they explicitly say they will delete your data after x amount of time or when you stop being a customer then you can bet that your data will be in a database somewhere for analytics to be run on it.
    Companies can make a lot of money from peoples data, without users even being aware.
    Im not sure there is. They are selling you the exact same policies as available without the app. The only small print could be in the terms of the use of the app. I will check that when I get a chance. Thanks.

Further thinking into this. Every company that has your information is in a position to share/sell it to other companies. Whats the big difference here? Your driving habits? Even if they did sell it on and you were now being penalised what information do they have that is 100% unique to you? Im not having that. You don't even share your licence number with your insurer. Having your premium loaded because of information they obtained from a third party would cause all sorts of confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I would doubt that they believe that every bad scoring journey that gets marked as being a passenger is true. Their business has people telling them lies constantly. These guys are all about the risk, and they get that from the data.

I'm pretty sure that if the option is there for an insurance company to screen customers they will use any and all data to do that cherry-picking. There is some serious tech out there that collates data from multiple databases, runs analytics and spits out a nice list of organised data.

If you need something to send you to sleep, look up big data analytics and business intelligence ...

Advertisement