Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I wonder what happened to the Lambert puppet theatre? They were the staple of RTE children's TV in the late 70s and 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Brian Keenan, I know he hasnt disappeared into obscurity but in the decade following his release in 1990 he was a regular feature on the chat show circuit and for a while one of the most recognisable people on the island of Ireland, rarely see his name pop up nowadays. I'd say a lot of people under 30 might not be that familiar with him.

He's still around. Does speeches, often speaks in prisons.

This article from last year for example.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2019/12/18/news/former-beirut-hostage-brian-keenan-visits-magilligan-prison-1793573/

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

I wonder what happened to the Lambert puppet theatre? They were the staple of RTE children's TV in the late 70s and 1980s.

Closed its doors permanently in 2018 after an arson attack. Terribly sad.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/lambert-puppet-theatre-to-close-for-good-after-46-years-1.3618992

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not really 'celebrity' per se but where did Norah Casey dissappear to? She used to be on tv/radio quite a lot but I havent heard from here in a fair while

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Not really 'celebrity' per se but where did Norah Casey dissappear to? She used to be on tv/radio quite a lot but I havent heard from here in a fair while

She hasn't gone away you know.. On BoC show lately

• Advertisement

She hasn't gone away you know.. On BoC show lately

Didnt she qualify as a midwife? I suppose if you have money you can do anything. A few years back they were crying out for them because they predicted a boom in the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Didnt she qualify as a midwife? I suppose if you have money you can do anything. A few years back they were crying out for them because they predicted a boom in the population.

Norah’s minted following the sale of her magazines and other business interests.

To listen to her on BO’C there isn’t much Norah isn’t qualified at. A very modest lady.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Norah Casey started working life as a nurse, in the UK I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Norah’s minted following the sale of her magazines and other business interests.

To listen to her on BO’C there isn’t much Norah isn’t qualified at. A very modest lady.....:rolleyes:

She's fairly active on Twitter;
    https://twitter.com/NorahCasey/status/1334119374115008512

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Cliona & Brid Og Ni Bhuachailla (sp?) attended an all-girls school where I live I think; did R Na G, Cursai & maybe a bit of T Na G but now.....?

Cynthia Ni Mhurchu also of that generation went to same school so maybe I'm confusing their education with hers; her last high profile gig was Eurovision I think; now no way was she minted from that alone & again she did the Irish programmes/Nuacht/Cursai/R na G gigs but since then? Like when, Eurovision apart, did she drop off the scene? I know what she's up to know & I see her around & I often wonder do my fellow shoppers as it often happens to be, know who she is, what she is "better" known as or for (although I'd wager to some she's equally well known for her current role to some if not more).

Think Georgia Salpa's already done on here? But she just shut things down once she got married/had kids; no slow winding down, just total shut down.

• Advertisement

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Look at this "article " from the Ghastly Independent from 1999...Sycophantic,fawning,badly-written drivel.

Rags like this were actually encouraging the rise of people with no talent to become famous for the sake of it. Sickening.

http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/an-irish-boy-has-finally-figured-it-out-26258317.html

<snip>

Nothing's changed going by this Euro Weekly bit on him/about him/by him where he's now a columnist & is living (but not living it up anymore it appears?) in Marbella. Pretentious gittery continues; if this'd actually been in the Sindo back in the day it wouldn't've looked out of place; I've long since given up on buying that paper; their Life Magazine drained it out of me.......

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/03/26/isolation-by-gavin-lambe-murphy/

and....

Going from 3 Thousand Facebook Friends (yes, those types; you met someone in your local Spar? Oh quick, add 'em, sure they're your bessie now huh?)

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/03/26/isolation-by-gavin-lambe-murphy/

He's gonna write another book; I doubt many on here, I included, read his 1st One so perhaps his 2nd's gonna be like a Number 2 too...

Had to google him-didn't know who he was.

Competed in the Voice of Ireland, according to this clip.

Such a bizarre show in retrospect-One hit wonders being judged by one hit wonders.

F me but that made for some grim watching!

It's like the X Factor & the Voice & all the All Ireland Talent Show (Tops of the Town had better production values!!!) contestants; ultimately you'll end up going back to what you were doing & what was giving you a few extra pounds to your regular day job in so many cases.

It makes me wonder about Jedward; the hairs flattened, there's no Panto, their ship has sailed, they're trying to maintain a semblance of relevance on social media (their Celebrity BB appearances in nappies keep coming back to humiliaunt them); will they feature on here in 5-10 years time?

Being an Irish Celebrity (or an IT Boy as per the GLM guy) is one thing; maintaining it is one thing.

Ultimately are you happy enough doing college discos & 6 O'Clock Show on Tv3/Live @ 3/Maura & Daithi or do you want to be a regular on Late Late/Ray D'Arcy/Tommy Tiernan cos those're pretty much the levels in Ireland.

Even in UK just look at X Factor & the tripe it produces; I'd imagine the only few I can think of, Jamie "Afro" Archer & Lucy Evans (Lingerie Model/Radio Presenter somewhere now I think) + Stacey Solomon (Loose Women dirge) are barely holding on.

Stacey Dooley has carved out a niche for herself though; did she do X Factor or where'd she come from?

Bibi Baskin. I asked her for her hand in marriage, but she was too busy splashing in the river Ganges. Cosmic joy was not immediately forthcoming, so she sued RTÉ for emotional distress.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    F me but that made for some grim watching!

It's like the X Factor & the Voice & all the All Ireland Talent Show (Tops of the Town had better production values!!!) contestants; ultimately you'll end up going back to what you were doing & what was giving you a few extra pounds to your regular day job in so many cases.

It makes me wonder about Jedward; the hairs flattened, there's no Panto, their ship has sailed, they're trying to maintain a semblance of relevance on social media (their Celebrity BB appearances in nappies keep coming back to humiliaunt them); will they feature on here in 5-10 years time?

Being an Irish Celebrity (or an IT Boy as per the GLM guy) is one thing; maintaining it is one thing.

Ultimately are you happy enough doing college discos & 6 O'Clock Show on Tv3/Live @ 3/Maura & Daithi or do you want to be a regular on Late Late/Ray D'Arcy/Tommy Tiernan cos those're pretty much the levels in Ireland.

Even in UK just look at X Factor & the tripe it produces; I'd imagine the only few I can think of, Jamie "Afro" Archer & Lucy Evans (Lingerie Model/Radio Presenter somewhere now I think) + Stacey Solomon (Loose Women dirge) are barely holding on.

Stacey Dooley has carved out a niche for herself though; did she do X Factor or where'd she come from?

Jedward made themselves relevant, again, via bashing Covidiots. Started a spat with Jim Corr. (aka the easiest prat to make fun of.)

But yeah...their popularity fizzled out years ago.

Jedward made themselves relevant, again, via bashing Covidiots. Started a spat with Jim Corr. (aka the easiest prat to make fun of.)

But yeah...their popularity fizzled out years ago.

guess you will be racing to be first in line for the new vaccine?

guess you will be racing to be first in line for the new vaccine?

As soon as it's available to me, yes. But I'm not on the 'frontline', or in the most at risk category, so I'll have to wait a while to get it.

Which, sadly, may take a while.

On the other, I just saw that Jedward are trying to get Fairytale of New York banned again...

I hate em again, now, especially considering all the good songs they ruined with their awful renditions.

As soon as it's available to me, yes. But I'm not on the 'frontline', or in the most at risk category, so I'll have to wait a while to get it.

Which, sadly, may take a while.

On the other, I just saw that Jedward are trying to get Fairytale of New York banned again...

I hate em again, now, especially considering all the good songs they ruined with their awful renditions.

Read a littlemore about these vaccines. You know the government have indemnified the manufacturers? The ingredients arent listed on the vaccine packaging (they should be). The Governments are unwilling to deal with past vaccine problems.

Listening to Jedward is like listen to a bag of cats drowning slowly in a barrell of water.

Read a littlemore about these vaccines. You know the government have indemnified the manufacturers? The ingredients arent listed on the vaccine packaging (they should be). The Governments are unwilling to deal with past vaccine problems.

Not really a topic for here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Is Electric Eddie still going? Hed always be wheeled out for Beat On The Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Reform, the band from Limerick. Played a lot in the early 70s and were great. Where did they go to?

PMBC wrote: »
    Reform, the band from Limerick. Played a lot in the early 70s and were great. Where did they go to?

Fairly good synopsis of their work here.

https://www.irishrock.org/irodb/bands/reform.html#:~:text=The%20Reform%20began%20life%20in,and%20Wille%20Brown%20%26%20The%20Reforms.

And here.

https://www.irish-showbands.com/Bands/reform.htm

They were before my time, but apparently, before they split, they were working twice as hard for less money than they had been previously getting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not really a topic for here though.

Unless the celeb vanished due to the vaccine but otherwise *the conspiracy theory forum is elsewhere.

*mod note

Reform were a great band. Regular to Macroom, always packed.

Anyone know what happened to that Doctor from 'How Long will you Live?'

IT was a show about helping people who were worried about their health, anything from heavy smokers, bad diets etc etc.

Show would start out telling people 'you'll only live this long', then make them do life style adjustments, and be like 'and now you'll live 'this long''.

Didn't factor in things like getting hit by a bus, for starters.

Dr Mark Hamilton was his name, but the only 'doctor' I've found with the same name is some face filler/ cosmetics guy.

Dr I'm thinking about had Lord of the rings tattoo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Anyone know what happened to that Doctor from 'How Long will you Live?'

IT was a show about helping people who were worried about their health, anything from heavy smokers, bad diets etc etc.

Show would start out telling people 'you'll only live this long', then make them do life style adjustments, and be like 'and now you'll live 'this long''.

Didn't factor in things like getting hit by a bus, for starters.

Dr Mark Hamilton was his name, but the only 'doctor' I've found with the same name is some face filler/ cosmetics guy.

Dr I'm thinking about had Lord of the rings tattoo too.

I remember him, he did a lot of Television and Radio work in the UK and Ireland for a while. It looks like he wound down his media career and he is now working in Medical Practice full time in England

https://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/tv-doctor-mark-goes-back-to-medical-school-27965640.html

https://twitter.com/thedoctormark?lang=en

Skid X wrote: »
    I remember him, he did a lot of Television and Radio work in the UK and Ireland for a while. It looks like he wound down his media career and he is now working in Medical Practice full time in England

https://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/tv-doctor-mark-goes-back-to-medical-school-27965640.html

https://twitter.com/thedoctormark?lang=en

Fair dues. The media thing can make you beloved, or turn you into a reality TV fixture.

I'd say after his friend Sheana Keane getting mistreated, he was out.

As a BTW, there's a Dr on UK TV Dr. Michael Mosley but he says the does TV because he did not have a very good personality as a GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Hitachi man

Is Electric Eddie still going? Hed always be wheeled out for Beat On The Street.

Doug Murray,he was dj-ing pre covid. I was at a work xmas party in 2017 or 2018 and he was the DJ. I went up to him after the show and got my pic taken with him. A delightful man who was happy to indulge a drunk "fan". I used to be fasinated by the eye in the sky as a child,I asked him about that and he told me they flew out of Weston in the chopper. Nice man he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Doug Murray,he was dj-ing pre covid. I was at a work xmas party in 2017 or 2018 and he was the DJ. I went up to him after the show and got my pic taken with him. A delightful man who was happy to indulge a drunk "fan". I used to be fasinated by the eye in the sky as a child,I asked him about that and he told me they flew out of Weston in the chopper. Nice man he is.

He did one of the first karaoke shows in Ireland, in one of the pubs in Rathmines, late 80s I think.

Advertisement