Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Yer wan Ruth from TV3 Expose. What was her name? O'Neill?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

having read this thread I decided to google the contestants from Big Brother Series 1. I thought Tom hooked up with Claire and they had a baby boy. He would be 15 or 16 now.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

MysticMonk wrote: »
    A child "prodigy"..she was all over RTE for a while including the late late show doing her singing,dancing routine in her best Billie Barry voice.

Was this in recent years? Never heard of her and Google draws a blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

Cynthia Ni Mhurchu. From Eurovision to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Radio5 wrote: »
    Cynthia Ni Mhurchu. From Eurovision to ?

Barrister now i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭George White

Me neither. And I remember AngloIrish Max Clifford product Declan Galbraith

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

No,not recent..i'm going back to the early 1980's although i suspect this might be her.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Not reading through a load of pages, so apologies if he has been mentioned, but remember Gavin Lamb Murphy? The beloved and so called It-Boy of the Celtic Tiger years on the Dublin social scene? Absolutely beloved by the Sindo rag. Whatever happened him?

fg1406 wrote: »
    Not reading through a load of pages, so apologies if he has been mentioned, but remember Gavin Lamb Murphy? The beloved and so called It-Boy of the Celtic Tiger years on the Dublin social scene? Absolutely beloved by the Sindo rag. Whatever happened him?

What happened was it emerged that he concocted the whole story about himself and family being wealthy landowners.

I'm not sure how he was exposed exactly but when it happened he went from a "celeb" to a pariah in record time...he apologised weakly but it was too late,the media and all the suck-ups in the "society " pages blanked him almost overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

George Murphy he looked like a reincarnation of Luke Kelly, could sing like him too.

Just found a video of him, he doesn't look like Luke Kelly anymore and his singing is gone downhill as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

What happened was it emerged that he concocted the whole story about himself and family being wealthy landowners.

I'm not sure how he was exposed exactly but when it happened he went from a "celeb" to a pariah in record time...he apologised weakly but it was too late,the media and all the suck-ups in the "society " pages blanked him almost overnight.

He was probably the closest Ireland has come to an absolutely pointless "celebrity".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

he claimed last year that it was all really just a massive pisstake on his part and that he was just playing a character. really believable.

Married an investment banker, had twins with a surrogate and now known as Georgia Penna.

Mr Penna must have wanted keep things nice and tight.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Sam Kade wrote: »
    George Murphy [...] Luke Kelly, could sing like him too.

F*cking blasphemy.

No way! He faked coming from "money" so the monied folks dropped him 😂 Brilliant!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

He was probably the closest Ireland has come to an absolutely pointless "celebrity".

I dunno about that, there's been other contenders. The 03 Girls or whatever the feck they were called from The Sunday Indo being one example.Those wans from Fade Street being another.

he claimed last year that it was all really just a massive pisstake on his part and that he was just playing a character. really believable.

He has written a book too but he has really pissed in his bed with his lies....i can't imagine the hacks in the Sindo writing it very positive reviews after he decieved everybody and based a flyblown "career" around it.

The wind blows cold on the outside!

He has written a book too but he has really pissed in his bed with his lies....i can't imagine the hacks in the Sindo writing it very positive reviews after he decieved everybody and based a flyblown "career" around it.

The wind blows cold on the outside!

yeah the interview was part of the book promotion. He still hasn't got a job apparently and is being kept by his mother.

As scuttering gobsheens who vanished up thier own arses go,this fool is right up there.

Kieron "the wolf" Ducie :rolleyes:

421752.jpg

As scuttering gobsheens who vanished up thier own arses go,this fool is right up there.

Kieron "the wolf" Ducie :rolleyes:

421752.jpg

an awful individual. more worried about himself than a woman dying in his house.

• Advertisement

I often wonder where Katy French'd be now. People at the time said she would have had a great TV career. I doubt it, though her contemporary/rival Glenda Gilson has managed to hang on. But looking at how Lorraine Keane ended up shafted... I guess we'll never know. Vogue Williams really reminded me of French. Same voice.

I often wonder where Katy French'd be now. People at the time said she would have had a great TV career. I doubt it, though her contemporary/rival Glenda Gilson has managed to hang on. But looking at how Lorraine Keane ended up shafted... I guess we'll never know. Vogue Williams really reminded me of French. Same voice.

Katie French was already waning as a "star" by the time of her death.

She had (stupidly) made revelations in the Newspapers about rampant drug use in RTE and,the fashion industry and as a result she was in the process of being shunned by all and sundry. Her 24th birthday bash was supposed to be a star-studded affair but was largely ignored by the socialite trash that she had invited.

The poison pen hacks were out to get her and it's difficult to see how she could've stayed in the public eye for any positive reason,at least not in Ireland.
    She may well have had a career of sorts had she survived but it was unlikely to be as a socialite or model..resentment towards her was far too high.

Her 24th birthday bash was supposed to be a star-studded affair but was largely ignored by the socialite trash that she had invited.

The poison pen hacks were out to get her and it's difficult to see how she could've stayed in the public eye for any positive reason,at least not in Ireland.

I do remember coverage of her 24th birthday, in Krystal, I think? And it seemed so staged and depressing. I was 2 years older than her and I do recall even feeling the whole thing was for show. Or maybe that's how the rags wanted it portrayed.

The whole thing in relation to her engagement and that photoshoot with the Sindo in her fiancées restaurant was completely bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

doesnt surprise me in the slightest.

POS. Legal aid me hole. . His mother and father were very decent people. Couldn't face neighbours after the KF incident.
    Can't understand how this thing and celebrity can be used in the same sentence. He was a scrap man ffs.

fg1406 wrote: »
    I do remember coverage of her 24th birthday, in Krystal, I think? And it seemed so staged and depressing. I was 2 years older than her and I do recall even feeling the whole thing was for show. Or maybe that's how the rags wanted it portrayed.

The whole thing in relation to her engagement and that photoshoot with the Sindo in her fiancées restaurant was completely bizarre.
    Yeah, no one has a big 24th birthday bash.
    The poison pen hacks were out to get her, and then when she died. She became Ireland's sweetheart, but she wasn't. I remember those who had heard of her knew she was the latest flavour of the month tabloid star, up there with the Kaneswarans or any of Jonathan Rhys Meyers' flings. But if you only knew her from her death, you'd have thought she was this beloved Diana figure, when in fact she was a fame-hungry model who had been taken astray by media coverage and became an unwitting martyr for fame.
    In death, she was Ireland's most beloved and beautiful model, but in life, she was a not-unattractive but not overtly stunning socialite.

Yeah, no one has a big 24th birthday bash.
    The poison pen hacks were out to get her, and then when she died. She became Ireland's sweetheart, but she wasn't. I remember those who had heard of her knew she was the latest flavour of the month tabloid star, up there with the Kaneswarans or any of Jonathan Rhys Meyers' flings. But if you only knew her from her death, you'd have thought she was this beloved Diana figure, when in fact she was a fame-hungry model who had been taken astray by media coverage and became an unwitting martyr for fame.
    In death, she was Ireland's most beloved and beautiful model, but in life, she was a not-unattractive but not overtly stunning socialite.

With a considerable cocaine habit!

yeah the interview was part of the book promotion. He still hasn't got a job apparently and is being kept by his mother.

Look at this "article " from the Ghastly Independent from 1999...Sycophantic,fawning,badly-written drivel.

Rags like this were actually encouraging the rise of people with no talent to become famous for the sake of it. Sickening.

http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/an-irish-boy-has-finally-figured-it-out-26258317.html

<snip>

• Advertisement

Look at this "article " from the Ghastly Independent from 1999...Sycophantic,fawning,badly-written drivel.

Rags like this were actually encouraging the rise of people with no talent to become famous for the sake of it. Sickening.
    Christian and Simon Stokes
    http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/an-irish-boy-has-finally-figured-it-out-26258317.html

How many million do they still owe the revenue?

Advertisement