Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Their motor-trade and hotel business were put into receivership in 2012/2013 ... I'd say after that the spotlight moved on.

Wasn't she suing him and him suing her while at the same time living happily together,

• Registered Users Posts: 27,924 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Wasn't she suing him and him suing her while at the same time living happily together,

Possibly an elaborate dance to keep assets out of the hands of receivers...
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/high-court-hears-jackie-lavins-case-against-partner-bill-cullen-over-1m-deal-for-sale-of-house-811374.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

banoffe2 wrote: »
    Bill and Jackie gone off the radar also, that "I know it all attitude" didn't help them!
    It really was car-crash TV. You could see he really had little clue of anything that went beyond selling cars. And then there was Jackie looking perpetually surprised at everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Radio5 wrote: »
    Anyone who ever appeared on Bill & Jackie's Apprentice.

The winner of one series, Michelle Massey, got busted with cocaine about 4 or 5 years ago.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/tv3-irish-apprentice-winner-who-was-busted-with-cocaine-is-let-off-34741772.html

She tried to spin it as 'it was a one off, it was planted on me, I was too drunk to remember etc etc'....

...bizarrely, it worked. (even if it sounded like a crock of horse s**t).

Since then, she's doing something involving crossfit crud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

The first rule of Crossfit is you must tell everyone about Crossfit. Whether they ask or not.
    The second rule of Crossfit is you must keep talking about Crossfit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Their motor-trade and hotel business were put into receivership in 2012/2013 ... I'd say after that the spotlight moved on.

A mate of mine worked for them as a duty manager in the Muckross Park Hotel years back, he was mainly in the pub attached to it called Molly D'arcys. Which at the time was one of the busiest food pubs in all of Ireland, its right there on the Ring of Kerry and would have tour buses constantly pulling in for food.It was a big operation and packed day in day out in summers.

Im told Bill and Jackie weren't there all that much but when they were there everyone knew about it because of the grief Lavin would cause. He said the height of it was one Sunday when they had beaten the previous record for pub meals served in a single day, they did 1,100 odd covers in a shift which was an astonishing turnover. He said there was more than 20 grand in the tills, they were overflowing with cash. But despite this Lavin came in eating the head off him because there was a serviette lying on the floor and she spied a staff member walking by it without it picking it up. So he got a tongue lashing off Jackie for that after he and all the staff had busted their absolute holes for almost 10 hours with just a short 15 minute break. Said he felt like taking his wages out of the till and walking off the job there and then.
    It really was car-crash TV. You could see he really had little clue of anything that went beyond selling cars. And then there was Jackie looking perpetually surprised at everything.

One untold story about the Apprentice is that Bill loved to tell us all what a great businessman he was but the reality behind the scenes while he was filming it was that all his businesses were going tits up at that very moment. Bill had signed loads of long term leases on these huge car showrooms made out of glass which were next to useless when the crash came and car sales dried up overnight. The crash happened in 2008 and by 2009 new car sales had completely evaporated. Yet he was on tv from 2009 till it finished in 2011 acting the Billy Big balls ('I'm a successful entreprenoooor') yet all of that time he was fighting fires with the banks in the background.

He had his 'Bill Cullen Centre of Business Excellence' (or some similar sh1te name) out in Swords and used to rent office space to small businesses in the same building. I knew someone working in a company there and over that period Bill was going around in a panic half the time, the banks were up his arse day in day out. Yet at the same time on TV3s Apprentice he was pretending to be Irelands smartest businessman all while the empire crumbled.

One person who did do well out of the Apprentice is that petite girl who was pretty smart at all the tasks but I think she came second overall. She went on to work in a senior role in marketing in Facebook at an early stage just after they set up in Dublin circa 2010/1. The first few hundred people who got a job in Facebook got extraordinarily generous share options as part of their package. So on the day Facebook floated on the stock exchange they were all pretty much minted overnight, various positions got differing share options but Ive heard the values were between 300k and 500k per employee. Certainly would beat working for Bill Cullen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

They visited my school.
    Which explains how **** my school was.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The winner of one series, Michelle Massey, got busted with cocaine about 4 or 5 years ago.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/tv3-irish-apprentice-winner-who-was-busted-with-cocaine-is-let-off-34741772.html

She tried to spin it as 'it was a one off, it was planted on me, I was too drunk to remember etc etc'....

...bizarrely, it worked. (even if it sounded like a crock of horse s**t).

I developed a very strong dislike of that lady even though I never met her.

banoffe2 wrote: »
    Andrea Roche, former model and owner of model agency, was married to one of the Mansfields, used to be on TV a lot

She owns a modeling agency now; for that read promotion girls.

Prepare to vomit:
    https://www.armodelagency.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

I developed a very strong dislike of that lady even though I never met her.

That's not very nice. I didn't know her background but she more recently worked in recruitment and helped me get a job and was very nice.

• Advertisement

Beau wrote: »
    That's not very nice. I didn't know her background but she more recently worked in recruitment and helped me get a job and was very nice.

Well that’s great for you.

My dislike was based on her behaviors on the show and how she treated others on it.

She owns a modeling agency now; for that read promotion girls.

Prepare to vomit:

I know one or two models who are 'listed' on her site.

They haven't worked with her for years. One in particular did NOT like her. (I only know this because she was going out with my cousin's friend).

I know some folks who met Roche... not a nice person by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I know one or two models who are 'listed' on her site.

They haven't worked with her for years. One in particular did NOT like her. (I only know this because she was going out with my cousin's friend).

I know some folks who met Roche... not a nice person by all accounts.

Never forget her meltdown interview from years ago at Miss Something or other

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Karen Fricker, American woman who used to appear in the panel discussions a lot on John Kellys the View in its early years circa 1999-2001 ish. I remember one time she negatively reviewed something by Hugh Leonard and he had a go at her in his Sindo column. Never liked him, talented playwright and screenwriter but I though he came across in interviews and in his columns as an insufferable thin skinned snob.

Karen Fricker, American woman who used to appear in the panel discussions a lot on John Kellys the View in its early years circa 1999-2001 ish. I remember one time she negatively reviewed something by Hugh Leonard and he had a go at her in his Sindo column. Never liked him, talented playwright and screenwriter but I though he came across in interviews and in his columns as an insufferable thin skinned snob.

She's teaching in Brock University, according to wikipedia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

screamer wrote: »
    Liz Bonnin I think she used to present off the rails years ago.
    She co presented the first Telly Bingo

She co presented the first Telly Bingo

That's right, I forgot about that.

Derek Davis
    Thelma Mansfield

"Live at 3 "
    My aunt RIP was on it

hdowney wrote: »
    Still see him around cos I live in Wicklow. Drive past his gaff often enough.

Now I can't remember yer man's name but a chap who always wore a hat and did a programme on rte where he went round interviewing the average Joe about stuff. If it comes to me I'll edit.
    That pain in the arse O'Gorman is still on rte radio sean o rourke. He did queing for a living , living off others experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Originally from Cobh I think.

• Advertisement

That pain in the arse O'Gorman is still on rte radio sean o rourke. He did queing for a living , living off others experiences

Very strange chap. He used to write a column in the Cork Examiner in the 90s where I remember he once claimed Aids can't be spread by hetro sex. Always got a weird vibe off him either on radio print or TV.

Very strange chap. He used to write a column in the Cork Examiner in the 90s where I remember he once claimed Aids can't be spread by hetro sex. Always got a weird vibe off him either on radio print or TV.
    I don't like the way he makes programmes always, as far as i know, about people who are less well off. 'Queing for a living' was in queues at social welfare places etc and now i think courts. They do not appear to see how clever he is giving them a 'voice' while he gets paid.

I didn't know about the AIDS

I don't like the way he makes programmes always, as far as i know, about people who are less well off. 'Queing for a living' was in queues at social welfare places etc and now i think courts. They do not appear to see how clever he is giving them a 'voice' while he gets paid.

I didn't know about the AIDS

Thought he'd have disappeared after the whole 'celebrity farm' crap.

Thought he'd have disappeared after the whole 'celebrity farm' crap.
    what happened? OK see it

I recall reading something he wrote about marriage, is he divorced

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Whatever happened to Julian from UTV

eviltwin wrote: »

That really camp continuity announcer? I think he retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

eviltwin wrote: »

UTV were sold and the new owners moved production out of belfast.

O Gorman and Kevin Sharkey nearly came to blows behind the scenes apparently. Two deeply strange individuals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It showed O'Gorman was a very strange individual.

Advertisement