Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

Dunno if she's already been mentioned, Shauna Lowry. Used to present Bon Voyage among other things. Went to the BBC I think.

She was Rolf Harris' assistant too, wasn't she?

Hate to admit but I kind of miss the old Aussie perv on telly.
    He was a great entertainer. But so was Michael Jackson.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

We know Rolf Harris was guilty. But that Leaving Neverland documentary has already been disputed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

We know Rolf Harris was guilty. But that Leaving Neverland documentary has already been disputed.

I know this is going to sound naive but I couldnt believe that Rolf Harris was like that. I think that people surrounding Jackson replaced money with offering sound judgement. If you are a grown man and you feel the need to sleep with children, you should be advised of the consequences by lawyers or more likely you are someone with pedophillic tendencies.

I know this is going to sound naive but I couldnt believe that Rolf Harris was like that. I think that people surrounding Jackson replaced money with offering sound judgement. If you are a grown man and you feel the need to sleep with children, you should be advised of the consequences by lawyers or more likely you are someone with pedophillic tendencies.

I personally, from research and so on, don't believer the Jackson allegations. Even saw some folks who work with abused children (and adults) who say these guys stories don't add up.
    Nor do their behaviours.

We know that Jackson had a very, very troubled and traumatic childhood. Stuff that would completely screw up your psychology. The absence of a childhood and many other things didn't help. (From what I've read up on, his father was an absolute b**tard, to say the least).

So JAckson spent the rest of his days trying to recapture that lost childhood. Hanging out with children, having sleepovers-things that most of us take for granted as kids, he tried to reenact as an adult.
    But did he abuse children? I don't believe he did.

Corey Feldman has stated Jackson never touched him. McCauley Culkin, another troubled child star, stated JAckson never laid a finger on him.
    Feldman has named one or two of his abusers. Jackson was never one of them.

I think with Harris, it was a surprise, for sure. Saville, it was less so. TV screens were smaller in the 60s and 70s, so Saville's creepyness wasn't caught on film.
    Blow it up on a 20 or 40 inch tv, and he looks far less than normal.

I personally, from research and so on, don't believer the Jackson allegations. Even saw some folks who work with abused children (and adults) who say these guys stories don't add up.
    Nor do their behaviours.

We know that Jackson had a very, very troubled and traumatic childhood. Stuff that would completely screw up your psychology. The absence of a childhood and many other things didn't help. (From what I've read up on, his father was an absolute b**tard, to say the least).

So JAckson spent the rest of his days trying to recapture that lost childhood. Hanging out with children, having sleepovers-things that most of us take for granted as kids, he tried to reenact as an adult.
    But did he abuse children? I don't believe he did.

I have very very polar feelings on Joe Jackson. Yes I see him as an opportunist and he got rich off his kids. I also think the entertainment industry (all aspects ) is predatory and full of the worst kinds of people (not all but many). I have read that when Shirley Temple was on set "men would look at her the same way they look at their mothers roast chicken". I believe Joe Jackson kept them away from drugs and they didnt end up the same way as many other artists.

I also believe Michael was on the Autistic Spectrum (You think an NT wrote those songs?). Many (not all) people on the spectrum have poor judgement on social perspectives ("its not important what it is but how it is perceived").

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

Big difference though...Rolf is guilty, Jackson's "guilt" is very much up in the air.

I used to think he was guilty but, spent a long time researching it (Best part of a year) Come to the conclusion that, in my opinion, he's not guilty at all. He was just seriously damaged, emotionally and psychology. A "friend" of his recorded phone conversations with him from 1991 and they're posted on YT.
    You get a good sense of his troubles from them.

Leaving Neverland is nothing but a cash grab. I watched it twice and I can't believe the amount of lies and edits in it. Not talking about abuse but, actual straight up lies. Over 70 of them! The director telling people in interviews he coached them on what to say and how to speak and how the subject "turns him on" :rolleyes:

In my research, I discovered he tried to open the property to the public, on two occasions, first when he moved in and again in the 90s but, it was blocked by the state for some reason :confused:

The guy was around thousands of kids and out of all of them, 4 people have said, "Yeah, he touched me. Give me money"

I'm not defending him at all for some of his behaviours. I disagree with a lot of it but, he was clearly in need of help. None of us know what it must be like as a 9 year old kid to go and sing in strip clubs to put food on the table for your family. None of us know what it's like as a child to be in bedrooms with our brothers as they slip someone the pipe, night after night. None of us know as a child what it's like to be so scared of your father that you sleep in bed with other men and women.
    He was a good looking guy up until the start of the 90s but, he continued to **** up his nose because his family bullied him over having a big nose for years. He had a skin condition and then went way overboard trying to cover it up.

Either he read the world like a novel and fooled everyone on the planet, which makes him the smartest man that ever existed, with the biggest set of balls, ever! Or, he was just a troubled individual, whose heart was in the right place but, his head was no where near the place it should have been

Sad...

Slash summed it up perfectly, in my opinion, recently in an interview. He was asked about Jackson and he said he didn't believe any of it and he said, from being around him as often as he was, he was happy on stage, he was happy making music, he was happy when he was around kids but, he looked like someone who wanted to kill himself when he was around managers and people from his entourage. He said Michael knew he was surrounded by yes men and people just using him for money and it was destroying him but, he never done anything about it. As I said, it's sad

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion and what I posted above is just mine. Each to their own

MOR316 wrote: »
    Big difference though...Rolf is guilty, Jackson's "guilt" is very much up in the air.

I used to think he was guilty but, spent a long time researching it (Best part of a year) Come to the conclusion that, in my opinion, he's not guilty at all. He was just seriously damaged, emotionally and psychology. A "friend" of his recorded phone conversations with him from 1991 and they're posted on YT.
    You get a good sense of his troubles from them.

Leaving Neverland is nothing but a cash grab. I watched it twice and I can't believe the amount of lies and edits in it. Not talking about abuse but, actual straight up lies. Over 70 of them! The director telling people in interviews he coached them on what to say and how to speak and how the subject "turns him on" :rolleyes:

In my research, I discovered he tried to open the property to the public, on two occasions, first when he moved in and again in the 90s but, it was blocked by the state for some reason :confused:

The guy was around thousands of kids and out of all of them, 4 people have said, "Yeah, he touched me. Give me money"

I'm not defending him at all for some of his behaviours. I disagree with a lot of it but, he was clearly in need of help. None of us know what it must be like as a 9 year old kid to go and sing in strip clubs to put food on the table for your family. None of us know what it's like as a child to be in bedrooms with our brothers as they slip someone the pipe, night after night. None of us know as a child what it's like to be so scared of your father that you sleep in bed with other men and women.
    He was a good looking guy up until the start of the 90s but, he continued to **** up his nose because his family bullied him over having a big nose for years. He had a skin condition and then went way overboard trying to cover it up.

Either he read the world like a novel and fooled everyone on the planet, which makes him the smartest man that ever existed, with the biggest set of balls, ever! Or, he was just a troubled individual, whose heart was in the right place but, his head was no where near the place it should have been

Sad...

Slash summed it up perfectly, in my opinion, recently in an interview. He was asked about Jackson and he said he didn't believe any of it and he said, from being around him as often as he was, he was happy on stage, he was happy making music, he was happy when he was around kids but, he looked like someone who wanted to kill himself when he was around managers and people from his entourage. He said Michael knew he was surrounded by yes men and people just using him for money and it was destroying him but, he never done anything about it. As I said, it's sad

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion and what I posted above is just mine. Each to their own

Same, I did my research. Whole tracts of information was ignored by the 'filmmakers'... (including that one of the guys dated Jackson's niece, who was introduced to them by Jackson.).

Also, can one really claim Jackson was smart enough to coach children to dupe FBI interrogators?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Same, I did my research. Whole tracts of information was ignored by the 'filmmakers'... (including that one of the guys dated Jackson's niece, who was introduced to them by Jackson.).

Also, can one really claim Jackson was smart enough to coach children to dupe FBI interrogators?

Didn’t realise Jackson was Irish ?

Piehead wrote: »

Wasnt he looking to buy an Irish castle and probably get an Irish Passport (on sale for £1,000,000) back in the day? I am sure his Grandmother could have been Irish for the Irish Government if it suited their agenda.

Wasnt he looking to buy an Irish castle and probably get an Irish Passport (on sale for £1,000,000) back in the day? I am sure his Grandmother could have been Irish for the Irish Government if it suited their agenda.

USed to hang out at Eugene Lambert's too (the creator/ owner of Lamberts puppets, famous for the likes of Judge the dog).

I know Eugene has sadly passed on, but is the Lambert's theatre still a thing? I know they closed down their old place, but is it in a new place, or is it a museum now?

• Advertisement

USed to hang out at Eugene Lambert's too (the creator/ owner of Lamberts puppets, famous for the likes of Judge the dog).

I know Eugene has sadly passed on, but is the Lambert's theatre still a thing? I know they closed down their old place, but is it in a new place, or is it a museum now?

Still there... Just not what it was. I genuinely cry over that. I miss it badly

I know Michael lived in Dun Laoghaire for a period but, ignoring that for a moment, I'm still devastated over the puppet theatre

Ha I'm actually typing this with tears. As a child, I loved it and wanted to bring my young relations there to experience it

In relation to Jackson... That footage of him with his kids, in a leisure plex in Athlone... He looked so happy. Yet two years later he's back rehearsing for a comeback tour, locking himself away, worried people are going to his gigs to call him a molester, yet he has a Doctor who kills him

It's sad and ****ed up

Lived here for 3 years.

Went back to America when they were trying to buy ATV off him and he was broke.

The Doctor he had over here... There was some accident involving a family. He wrote a cheque for 27,000 and he wanted to see them. This was in 2007 and the doctor said no. Jackson said, "it's because you think I'm a child molester...Isnt it?"
    Apparently he started crying over it and the doctor said he felt awful as he never believed it.

Made a rod for his own back. In my own mind, as I said previously, heart was in the right place... Head was on a different planet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

What became of newsreader Susan Byrne? Had quite the thing for her, would win over Sharon Ni for me in the sex appeal department.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

What became of newsreader Susan Byrne? Had quite the thing for her, would win over Sharon Ni for me in the sex appeal department.

What's the story with the getup Sharon wears? It seems to be some cult-like like clothing.

What's the story with the getup Sharon wears? It seems to be some cult-like like clothing.

Turns me on tbh

banoffe2 wrote: »
    cant place her, any pics of Susan Byrne, what channel was she on

Curly black haired?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭justwhatithink

No, just STOP, that was uncalled for! I didnt know who he was before I looked him up. People dont look it up, you cannot unsee, a horror on the eyes and a cringe upon the soul.

Portrays himself as a ladies man, pictured with Daniel ODonnell? Closet boy!

I was at a hen party a few years back and there was a stripper....Guess who :eek:

Edit; sorry, thought id quoted the post with him name, Bernard McHugh...

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

I was at a hen party a few years back and there was a stripper....Guess who :eek:

Who as not referenced in the post you quoted.......

Who as not referenced in the post you quoted.......

Click the blue arrow near the post you're quoting, it takes you to the post and person they're referencing.

MOR316 wrote: »
    Curly black haired?

Yes thats her. Oldish pic.

007_f4d3473b08191203b568abacf83678bf903b9a3c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Click the blue arrow near the post you're quoting, it takes you to the post and person they're referencing.

Not on the touch site it doesn't

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Not on the touch site it doesn't

Ah my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is it too early to put Phil Hogan on this thread?

Water John wrote: »

He's Teflon... I hope to be proven wrong, but I can't see him being ousted.

Edit: Well I'll be... looks like the teflon wore off.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Rumor has it he has signed a deal with George Foreman and he's going to be doing online cookery classes!

He's Teflon... I hope to be proven wrong, but I can't see him being ousted.

Edit: Well I'll be... looks like the teflon wore off.

Hogan is old stock and has a neck like a Jockeys Billox. He has been in much worse scrapes than this, he will ride it out and collect his pension. The Irish Government is not going to recall him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

NO WAY!!!!

Official statement on Big Phil "Fupp the lot of ye, I am going home to me big historical house in Kilkenny, exempt from property tax and me five pensions, to play golf every morning that God gives me in Mount Juliet and do a bit of consulting on the side for Denis O Brien. Just one more reason why God loves me!"

Rumor has it he has signed a deal with George Foreman and he's going to be doing online cookery classes!

I'd say the smell of his cooking will be enuff to ensure social distancing-tho instead of 6 feet, it's 6 Km.

• Advertisement

That Irish based Russian economist who used to pop up a lot on panel discussions during the Boom years, Tonight With Vincent Browne etc. What was his name? Feeling he moved abroad.

Advertisement