Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainbow 6 Siege (PC Alpha Signup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

not too gooey though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Skerries wrote: »
    not too gooey though

Can be sloppy when wet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Got accepted into beta for this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Good man.

Ah I remember Rainbow 6 and Half Life for Christmas presents. That was a good year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Same :)

April 7th to 13th it opens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,039 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ah feck only learning about this now

I would loved a beta key :(

Delayed by an hour or so.....meant to be live at 3pm
    The Closed Alpha build will be deployed slightly later than planned. We will be following up on this thread in an hour with an update.

Thank you for your patience, we are eagerly awaiting your feedback!

2 maps in it House and Plane, 5v5 best of 5 rounds. Alpha so expecting issues, so far it plays well. The idea of Raven Shield is there but with a softer approach which is understandable. open until 13th so will play it a good bit.

Pros:
    Decent options for defending a zone, defenders have the upper hand once they work together and stick close.
    Attackers have it all to do and the loadouts are small atm but each time can be vital ie playing and not using your "item" is a waste.
    A well defended point or attack is usually well earned.

Cons:
    Bulletsponges, can take a fair bit of damage before death. Should probably do something about that.
    Load times are longer than the rounds which takes a bit away from the game.
    Glitching sometimes getting stuck in things.

Would i buy it ....yes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

longest load times ive ever seen lol, havent got a chance to shoot at anyone yet.

Plane level seems to load fairly quickly counted 11 minutes last night loading house.

Its not a bad game and is growing on me, the bullet sponge thing has to be there to create firefights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pardon my ignorance and/or noobiness what do you mean by bullet sponging? :o

Turtwig wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance and/or noobiness what do you mean by bullet sponging? :o

The ability to absorb bullets to ensure a firefight happens, loads of games have it. In this specific game you can shoot tru almost any surface so firefights are quick and intense. Absorbing bullets gives both players usually the attacker a chance to duck out and rload. The defender is possibly lying on his arse in a corner (seriously on his arse) covering that one angle into the room. 2 to 3 headshots or 7/8 bullets to the body will put someone down with no chance of revive.

Raven Shield etc didnt have this feature, you get shot you get dead. COD BF3/4 etc have it as it is needed for those type of games where running is important.

Aww bugger that. That feature completely turned me off this game. What I loved so much about Ravenshield was that feature. Shot by any powerful bullet and you're either dead or injured. Hopefully there'll be customisation to disable that.

It's kind of a dealbreaker for me. I like the idea of camping in a corner covering a tiny area e.g a doorway and one shot could kill either party. The best part of RVS was the simultaneous kills. You shot them dead and they'd shot you dead. Those were awesome.

:D

Devs have said there will be a veteran mode and a hardcore mode, think hardcore allows you remove gadgets. Its a big thing for me if I am going to buy it.

The amount of whinging about the heart beat sensor is unreal, bring a EMP grenade and its useless. Only a few operators in the alpha and it hints at customizable guns but none in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,039 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

tbh why would they want heart beat sensors in the first place, surely they would know the community wouldnt like it.

Same thing put off MW2

Headshot wrote: »
    tbh why would they want heart beat sensors in the first place, surely they would know the community wouldnt like it.

Same thing put off MW2

But its a moot point here for example:

Attackers use the drones and spot the hostage, they know where to go. Defenders (the game tells them quite loudly) know the attackers know so defend appropiatley, one guys uses the heartbeat on Defender side one guy uses EMP on attackers and it and the cameras dont work.

Even if there is no EMP the attackers know they will be spotted when they bust in a door. The guy with the Heartbeat will die 1st mainly because this is what he sees.

Its counterable and has one massive flaw, you cant do anything other than hold it and its not quick to put back in your pocket.

38tbyCi.png

In the older r6 games a heartbeat sensor was a really cool tool. More cooler though were the pucks that provided false readings. The EMP thingy sounds cool but really there should be decoy pucks to fool the sensor. Recon and stealth with hb sensor was fun. In the old games it took an age to put the thing away and raise your gun (faster draw pistol!). The idea of the HB sensor was to have someone else - possibly even two or 3 others- cover you while you scanned the surroundings.

Anyway, please tell me defenders can use proximity mines? What kind of effect does flashbangs have when used on human players?

I understand the need to try to make mainstream shooters as arcadey as possible but I think Ubisoft really screwed up there. There's a gap in the market for a tense close quarters game. Running and gunning shooters are oversaturated.

Maybe the modding community would be able to implement more 'classic' r6 feel to it.

No mines yet but 20 operators in full game only 5 in the alpha. They should be fun but only 1 operator will have them as its limited, you cant have 2 of the same operator.

Each operator has a key item and a choice of limited Main/Secondary/tactical.

For defence I lean with reinforced barriers and attack breaching charge/nades/flash. Flash bangs can blind an entire team for up to 10 seconds, devastating when used well ie someone follows it in.

Some things just wont work for me I have only 3 positions(arse,crouch,stand), there are more. Lean refuses to work for me too, not gonna worry about that its an alpha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭ondafly

Heart beat sensors have always been in the Rainbow games but with appropriate counter measures, so I don't mind that. Has there been any confirmation on Terrorist Hunt modes though ? they are vital for any Rainbow6 game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭omerin

got my email today. Currently d/l GTA so will put this on the back burner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Did anyone get into the Alpha.... I did and iv nothing to say other than i am completely disappointed (I shouldnt have expected any less with UBI) with their new version of "Going Back To Our Roots" Rainbow 6...

There is so much they would need to change with this POS game that they are looking to release to come even close to the masters that were the original 3 Rainbow 6 games. They just dont want to take that leap of faith and develop a game for the true hardcore tactical FPS fans... They want to try broad spectrum the game to the casual FPS masses and add in every little casual crutch and help system that the majority of younger FPS players are used to playing these days.... They said so themselves in the recent FAQ they released about the communities concerns about the Alpha footage that got leaked...
    We have seen a lot of questions arise lately and would like to address some of them.

Keep in mind that what you saw in the past few days is an Alpha version of our game, which is very much a work-in-progress. We are holding the Closed Alpha milestone in order to monitor player behaviors, collect feedbacks - both quantitative and qualitative – and learn from it. We will be tracking statistics and metrics from tens of thousands of players regarding pretty much all elements present in the Closed Alpha (Operators, Hostage Rescue Game Mode, House & Plane maps, shooting mechanics, destruction, etc.) and from this knowledge, we`ll take educated decisions to improve the overall experience of our game in the best way possible. We will learn not only from what you tell us, but from how you play.

Developing this game will be an iterative process, and with each step, we intend on improving it - starting with the Closed Alpha. Thank you for your patience and understanding, as well for your constructive criticism.

NB : The above statement is applicable to all the following conversation topics, so keep in mind that our answers are what the current state of the game is and that it is a work-in-progress and subject to change.

Will there be a more hardcore way to play the game? New settings and modes will be elaborated on as we approach the Beta later this year. Simon Larouche, game director, says: ‘We already embraced a more realistic approach in our game mechanics. By default, we don’t have aim assist, nor health regen and friendly fire is ON.’ For those interested in disabling HUD elements, it will eventually be possible to disable them locally for yourself (no matter which mode you are playing) through the options. It is in our current plans to also allow custom session hosts to disable HUD elements for everyone participating in the match. This includes hit markers and teammate highlights. Simon added that depending of the community’s needs, feedback and desires, new playlists could eventually be made available in order to create new experiences.

About hit markers: Considering the above answer about HUD and our plans with custom sessions allowing to remove hit markers, we would also like to expand on the concept of the Hit Marker. Our Game Director Simon Larouche says: ‘You have to consider all sides on this story. There will be multiple FPS communities following us, and we are trying to create a game that also has accessible mechanics in order to have a large and long lasting community.

It's important to us that players of all skill levels feel like their shot matters. The Hit Marker is an obvious feedback to help you understand if you hit your target or not. Yes, our most avid fan probably learned to play back when Hit Markers, Aim Assist (that we won't have in Rainbow Six Siege), etc. didn't exist. But today, its features that we need to think about.’

The notion of having Hit Markers in our game is still being investigated. We see value in having it for newcomers, but understand the risk of having players blindly firing at walls in the hopes of hitting an enemy. We will be looking into this feature based on the feedback and player behavior tracking that we will be collecting during our Closed Alpha. We will also be considering the amount of ammo available in order to balance this notion of blind firing in the hopes of finding enemies by using destruction.

Why is there so much ammo? Andrew Witts, game designer, says: ‘We need to balance the amount of rounds to give to players to compensate for the fact that we have no ammo or weapon pick-up.’ The Game Design team confirms that we have already reduced the ammo count in order to have the same amount as the ones in Raven Shield, but that tweak will not be in the upcoming Closed Alpha build.

We do intend to start things off by giving to players more ammo than what we plan on giving them in the final game, in order to see what is and isn’t being consumed, so that we can establish the average amount of ammo used per player. Our final intention is to provide the player with an ammo count that is sufficient, while being limited.

Why aren’t there any doors? : There will be doorways that can be barricaded, but no doors. This pushes the players on the defending side to actively fortify their location, ultimately designing their own fortress. Having a more open starting location means that the defenders will have to carefully decide how they want to spend their preparation phase time, since time is what limits the amount of fortifications that can be erected before the attackers arrive.

Moreover, in adversarial multiplayer, it is necessary to provide a fair gameplay experience. With our game type, doors would lead to a multitude of issues such as lag, connection or responsiveness issues, and exploits.

What prevents this from being a run & gun game? : Chris Lee, game designer, says: ‘By having actual consequences to player action. All official game modes are One Life and the level of lethality is high. ‘We do not support Health Regen and players won’t respawn after getting killed. He adds: ‘Being reckless with your life will most likely lead to your death, and bring yourself and your team one step closer to losing the round (or match). Teamwork, observation & communication is key to winning.’ Being with teammates strengthens your position and reduces the chances of getting flanked. It also splits up the chances of getting shot amongst your group. You can protect each other, and in rare cases, even revive each other. Additionally, without aim assist and having no auto-snapping for the melee hits insures that this game is more about careful player skills and tactics.

Why is there a support mode and why can players communicate after death? : Chris Lee, game designer, says that ‘since all official game modes are One Life, we want the players to remain engaged even after dying’. This means that the players can still help out their teammates by using observation tools or looking through the remaining alive team members’ point of view and be a part of a potential victory, even if they died earlier in the round. This emphasizes teamwork and communication: teams that work together (even after death) will win more often than a single individual with pure aim and shooting skills.

It is important to note that Attackers can destroy the Defending team’s observation tools: the security cameras – and that Defenders can destroy the Attacking team’s observation tools: the drones. Therefore, it is possible to interfere with the amount of tools the players in Support Mode can gain access to. This creates secondary points of interest on the maps.

Why is there a kill cam? The ideology behind the kill cam is that we want the player to understand why he died, explained Game Designer Chris Lee: ‘The feeling of dying without knowing why is very frustrating to the player.’ We consider it a strong learning tool for newcomers and want to let our players train with each other, with it.

Right now, the kill cam has 3 states : death event – 1.5s. (you died), killer info – 4s. (who killed you and with which weapon), death replay (how the guy killed you). It is not possible to skip the death event, nor the killer info. The death replay – 7s. is the only part that can be skipped.

Note that we are still in Alpha and that we will evaluate and explore the options with the kill cam – things are subject to change. Until now, for us, the kill cam has not been an issue but we will be evaluating it during the Closed Alpha, by studying player behaviors and player feedback.

Why is there DBNO? DBNO stands for Down But not Out. It is a state that the players fall into once their health falls below a certain amount. When in DBNO, they cannot shoot nor use gadgets. They will have the choice to either stay immobile while holding on their wound to stay alive longer, or attempt to crawl to safety. It encourages careful team play as it creates a high risk vs. high reward type of situation if teammates attempt to rescue the injured player. It also encourages players to stick together. The game is highly lethal, and a lot of the time the player will not fall into DBNO and die directly. For instance, a headshot will instantly kill the opponents and will never lead to the DBNO state.

Can we have more details about single player and COOP? Not at this time, but we can confirm that we will indeed have single player and COOP.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Thank you for getting involved with the community. - Gen

I think right now if a game developer out there was smart enough they would create a HD version of RavenShield or SWAT or a combination of the two... Battlefield Hardline failed and this will too...

Not sure if any of you have tried Insurgency? Its made by an indie development team but its not a bad hardcore and tactical shooter..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

MarkJD wrote: »

Not sure if any of you have tried Insurgency? Its made by an indie development team but its not a bad hardcore and tactical shooter..

Insurgency directly contradicts their claims about hit markers and kill cams.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'm not really sure why this is surprising to be honest. Ubisoft are making a AAA game for multiple platforms with a budget and sales expectations to match, of course they're not going to be able to make a hardcore tactical online-centric MP game under that criteria.

Insurgency, for comparisons sake, sold 400,000 copies between Jan 2014 launch and September the same year. They're fantastic figures for an indie game of that nature but their budget would have been a fraction of what Ubi would be spending on the new Rainbow Six.

Don't get me wrong, I'd kill for a true successor to something like the SWAT series but if it happens, it's more than likely going to come from a smaller team, not one of the larger publishers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, they were never going to aim this at the hardcore crowd. They want as many people playing this as possible, which means aiming it at the CoD/Battlefield crowd (and i don't say that in a negative way, it's just a different style of game).

In fairness after Vegas it was always going to be this way, only hope is that Hardcore materialises and people can host/control their own servers.

Insurgency (which i love) has some flaws in the tactical shooter area. Could also do with some polish.

Squad which looks awesome but is 100 man (also awesome) but wont fill the gap left by RavenShield/Swat 4.

Arma 3 has terrible CQB but awesome mil sim.

I think gizmo is spot on the next Swat/RV will be made by a smaller studio but hopefully unlike insurgency it doesnt have the flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭ondafly

I'm hoping http://www.groundbranch.com/ is decent - original team from Rainbow are behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I thought I never got in but just received my access! So anyone who applied previously might still get in

Cravez wrote: »
    I thought I never got in but just received my access! So anyone who applied previously might still get in

Letting loads more in now that all the Streamers are done with it :p Seems a lot of people pissed off streamers got access rather than "fans".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

ondafly wrote: »
    I'm hoping http://www.groundbranch.com/ is decent - original team from Rainbow are behind it.
    Not quite. The team behind it was founded by a guy who used to work for Red Storm Entertainment and served as level designer on the original Rainbow Six and later Lead Artist on Ghost Recon. I couldn't find any other info about other employees at the company.

On the design side of things though, if you look at Raven Shield, it was primarily developed by Ubisoft Montreal but the Lead Designer on that project has since left the industry. The other designers on the project moved onto the Splinter Cell series with the other becoming the Creative Director of later entries in that series as well as, more recently, Far Cry 4.

None of that is to say it's not a good idea to get some people involved in the original games on board, I'd just advise tempering those expectations based on the studios lineage. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Advertisement