Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddest movie of all time? (that you have seen- for the pedants)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

That broke my heart, what made it worse was not long after watching it that day my uncle came home from hunting rabbits and proceeded to skin them in the garden. More than 30 years ago and I still haven't forgiven him.:D

Rabbits are tasty little f*ckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

lazygal wrote: »
    Threads, BBC film from 1983. Sad and horrifying.

It's not really a movie that should make you cry.

It's more a movie that should give you nightmares when you consider the content.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 710 ✭✭✭omnithanos

Saw the French film "Intouchables" a few weeks ago and it destroyed me. Probably the most I've cried during a film.

Also... My Girl!

You're a big softie, I thought Intouchables was hilarious and brilliant and my girl is a kiddies movie.

I did however cry for the entire second half of Hachi, probably cos it's about a dog and I don't get as sad when it's about humans.

My saddest human movie was maybe terms of endearment, especially the scene when the little boy is saying bye to mom in the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Bear, the 1988 version, fcking bawesome

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Go Tobban

Last scene in Shawshank always gets me

Good Will hunting's ''not your fault'' scene

The green mile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

In found "My name is Joe" tough going, had to choke back tears. Also some Mike Leigh films, may even have been comedies were tough going too.

There's a Japanese film, saw a trailer for it on film 4, then missed the film, don't even recal the name, just some clips from it, looked tough going, about parents but mainly the father I think, looks like its about the son being seperated accidentally at birth from the parents, looks to be about how it affected the father mostly in that the son was distant to him as there was no connection from the son to him,like the worst kind of unrequited love; from your child.

Anyone know the name?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

my sisters keeper had me a ball of mush

Greyfriars Bobby, sob sob

I did a bit at this too but just cos I had a Westie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭emo72

another one for Grave Of The Fireflies. i think its the fact that its a cartoon catches most people out. i had just seen Totoro for the first time and was looking for more from Ghibli, bought this and sat and watched it with the kids.bugger. "Dad tell me shes alright".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Saw the French film "Intouchables" a few weeks ago and it destroyed me. Probably the most I've cried during a film.

Also... My Girl!

Intouchables is amazing, love that film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It's a documentary film but The Bridge is a hard watch. It's about suicides from the Golden Gate Bridge and on Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

this is my father. Its so sad and an Irish movie that so many people that I no have not seen.

That one got me too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but Glengarry Glenross is up there for me

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

A forgotten Michael Keaton film from the 90s "My Life" made me cry in an empty cinema when I was in college.

But nothing, nothing, had ever made me cry like The Cove. If you can watch that without crying you are a robot.

Note: I'm 42 and ive cried 3 times since I was 10. The above are 2 of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

How did I forget Castaway!

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Not sure if anyone said but "The Land Before Time" always done me in as a lad :( Poor Littlefoot

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

When The Wind Blows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Schindlers list. The square circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Lapin wrote: »
    Watership Down

Obviously :(
    omg forgot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Lost in translation. Some about that film left me feeling gutted.and 500 days of summer.I'd say A.I aswell.any film about lonliness I find difficult to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Garage without a doubt and a brave departure from comedy for Pat Shortt, one of these films you can only watch once but has to be seen to understand rural Ireland and what its like to cope with loneliness.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

While the whole film would not be the saddest film ever ,For me personal the saddest moment in a film has to be the suicide scene in We Once Were Warriors.

Unreal ,soul tearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Song for a raggy boy, boy in the striped pyjamas, what dreams may come.

I quite literally nearly vomited from crying so much at those movies.

Yep, started watching Boy in Striped Pyjamas but just couldn't. I tried a couple of times, in the end gave the dvd away :o.

Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Fubrege wrote: »
    Downfall, when Mrs Goebbels kills her children.

Click, I cry everytime I watch that movie.

Click is a great shout,maybe becuase its a comedy movie or and Adam Sandler movie but you don't see it coming.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Click is a great shout,maybe becuase its a comedy movie or and Adam Sandler movie but you don't see it coming.

Is it the scene with David Hasslehoff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

KungPao wrote: »
    While watching The Green Mile, I think somebody in the room was chopping onions.

Yep without doubt the saddest movie ever.At the end when John Coffey is in the electric chair and they go to put the hood over his head.

"Don't Boss,please don't put me in the dark..I don't like the dark"

Bawled like a baby :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,244 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Threads

The 1984 BBC film about the aftermath of a nuclear war and how absolutely horrific it would be trying to survive trapped in the rubble of a destroyed city as radioactive fallout poisons you and everyone you care about.....

Makes you really really really really really really really really hope that there is never a nuclear war.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Colinf1212

I stand alone - French Film

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Links234 wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies

Best movie I'll probably never see again :o

Came here to to say this....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Atonement. Particularly the downer ending.

Advertisement