Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland 7s route to Rio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Its not like we dont have the talent pool, theres tones of players I played with and against through school that never made age grades and thus quit rugby after school, 7s would give these guys a pathway into high level rugby. Also players like Andy Marks, Adam Leavy and other guys who maybe arent quite good enough for full Academy spots could be utilised in a sevens program

On a side note 'The Lost sheep' you seem to be one of the most informed posters on this site, do youve any idea whats happening with Nash if hes gone to Australia or not?

In my opinion Leinster should be bending over backwards for this guy, hes up there with Ringrose in terms of potential

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Its not like we dont have the talent pool, theres tones of players I played with and against through school that never made age grades and thus quit rugby after school, 7s would give these guys a pathway into high level rugby. Also players like Andy Marks, Adam Leavy and other guys who maybe arent quite good enough for full Academy spots could be utilised in a sevens program
    Using 7s wont keep a lot of guys who quit the sport after leaving school play. Other methods need to be used to do that. Elite level 7s isn't the answer to that issue.
    The talent pool in Ireland is slightly over rated, well the schools are at any rate. We need to do more to keep those in late teens/early 20s playing but I don't see how 7s is really the answer. You need to look at 15 man game and changing competitions/setting up competitions around that. Tying kids in school to clubs earlier and better and through the school years.

Ye I've zero idea how these structures work etc, I think a clear pathway to representing your country on the international stage would do a hell of a lot keeping these guys playing, but I agree the AIL will surely be the biggest feeding ground for the sevens team

Its Late developers like Adeoulukin etc whos talent are very hard to gage until they get to there mid 20s thats particularly interesting to me, also the likes of Mick Mcgrath who come out of nowhere. Obviously the AIL is to thank for this.

• Advertisement

Its Late developers like Adeoulukin etc whos talent are very hard to gage until they get to there mid 20s thats particularly interesting to me, also the likes of Mick Mcgrath who come out of nowhere. Obviously the AIL is to thank for this.
    AIL is very much part of this. Mick McGrath didn't really come from nowhere.
    Ye I've zero idea how these structures work etc, I think a clear pathway to representing your country on the international stage would do a hell of a lot keeping these guys playing, but I agree the AIL will surely be the biggest feeding ground for the sevens team
    I don't think it would and those who quit are generally not the very best guys who would be playing 7s anyway. To keep those who leave the sport after school. There needs to be greater links between clubs and schools. Games for clubs while still in rugby schools..
    On a side note 'The Lost sheep' you seem to be one of the most informed posters on this site, do youve any idea whats happening with Nash if hes gone to Australia or not?

In my opinion Leinster should be bending over backwards for this guy, hes up there with Ringrose in terms of potential
    No idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I thought Nash was going AFL?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Spain are off to the Olympics after beating Samoa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

Delighted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

So it's Spain, Fiji, South Africa, GB, Australia, USA, Argentina, France, Kenya, New Zealand, Japan and Brazil.

It's a good spread of teams in terms of geography, population etc., so not a bad outcome for the Olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Nift

Using 7s wont keep a lot of guys who quit the sport after leaving school play. Other methods need to be used to do that. Elite level 7s isn't the answer to that issue.
    The talent pool in Ireland is slightly over rated, well the schools are at any rate. We need to do more to keep those in late teens/early 20s playing but I don't see how 7s is really the answer. You need to look at 15 man game and changing competitions/setting up competitions around that. Tying kids in school to clubs earlier and better and through the school years.

Hardly overrated, there is only so many academy spots to give out. We have four professional teams. The AIL is under utilized. Look at Connacht for potential lost players, only for Lam to take a punt.

Ali Miller touches down in the corner to kick things off for the Irish girls

She does the same again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭VillaMad

They can't deal with Miller!

She does it on the other wing this time. 17-0

Trinidad & Tobago are completely out of their depth.

51-0 in the end. Portugal next at 15:40.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Ire 12 Portugal 5

Conversion to come *missed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Ireland 17 - Portugal 5 half time

Real shakey start but 3 good scores since then. Looking good now, need to keep that up for the next few minutes.

• Advertisement

17- 12 now Portugal try.

Nervy start again to the second half

Conversion added

24-12 Ireland nice try. Ireland a lot better ball in hand than Portugal

FT Ireland 24 Portugal 12

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

12-0 up at HT against China. Very comfortable

Lucy Mulhall's halftime talk televised "don't try to slow the ball down, we're fitter than them, look how ****ed they are"

Quality swear words on the youtubes

So it's Spain, Fiji, South Africa, GB, Australia, USA, Argentina, France, Kenya, New Zealand, Japan and Brazil.

It's a good spread of teams in terms of geography, population etc., so not a bad outcome for the Olympics.
    When each continent had 1 qualifier each there was always going to be a decent spread in terms of geography and only Brazil will be in any way out of their depth
    Nift wrote: »
    Hardly overrated, there is only so many academy spots to give out. We have four professional teams. The AIL is under utilized. Look at Connacht for potential lost players, only for Lam to take a punt.
    Schools system is but yes the AIL is under utilized and more needs to be done to keep people in sport longer around late teens/early 20s

Quarter-Final against Tunisia right now.

Could be quite a bad injury for Niamh Briggs and she went down holding her knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Scrappy first half but 14-0 and Tunisia don't look a threat at all.

Finished up 38-0. A comfortable win as expected.

Up next in the semi-finals are Russia who are probably the favourites and have yet to concede a point this weekend.

• Advertisement

VillaMad wrote: »
    Finished up 38-0. A comfortable win as expected.

Up next in the semi-finals are Russia who are probably the favourites and have yet to concede a point this weekend.

Saw them twice yesterday. They are something special

Advertisement