Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland 7s route to Rio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Getting to World series is needed but what we really need is more 7s tournaments at age grade and open club level. The age grade shouldn't be schools/clubs but open competitions and imo better all club based with all representing clubs as this can get those in rugby schools linked in to clubs. There should be regional/county/divisional/provincial competitions

I was only really talking about the main Irish sevens side, but I agree totally. It's a fantastic form of the game for a player's skill level and should be open to all. Obviously the younger you introduce someone to it, even better.

At the very least, I'm just happy that we are embracing sevens in some shape at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

VillaMad wrote: »
    I was only really talking about the main Irish sevens side, but I agree totally. It's a fantastic form of the game for a player's skill level and should be open to all. Obviously the younger you introduce someone to it, even better.

At the very least, I'm just happy that we are embracing sevens in some shape at last.
    Point I was trying to make was we need more 7s tournaments to open the game of 7s to more. its not played enough here which is part of reason we've taken so long to take part at higher levels. If it was played at grassroots much much more it would help the elite game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

Point I was trying to make was we need more 7s tournaments to open the game of 7s to more. its not played enough here which is part of reason we've taken so long to take part at higher levels. If it was played at grassroots much much more it would help the elite game

If they get on the series i can see it getting a lot more attention at grass roots level

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

1 hour to go!!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,085 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lads im excommunicado in Kerry so I'd really appreciate the score updates from those watching.

I assume we'd be going into this game with Spain favourites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Lads im excommunicado in Kerry so I'd really appreciate the score updates from those watching.

We came out of a tougher group but it's very hard to tell what level we're at compared to the rest of the sides. Day 2 is going to be a very different test.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

sydthebeat wrote: »

I wouldn't be sure about that. We beat Tonga by 20, and they just beat Korea by 35 points. Spain and Hong Kong didn't beat Korea by much (19 and 12), and Spain lost to Hong Kong. This all might mean nothing, or it could be that the quality of teams in Ireland's pool was well above Spain's pool.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,085 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I was saying that due to Spain's previous experience on the sevens circuit, I assume they'd still have a similar squad to their 2014 one unless there's been a big cull.

Tom "Way Better Than Ben Te'o" Daly opens the scoring for Ireland with a nice finish

7-0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Good start, 7-0 up, half way through the 1st half.

• Advertisement

Spain hit back

7-5

Los Spaniardos no liko the scoro and los grabo un entrynada

7-5

7-5 HT

7-5 at half time. Spanish had a grubber along the touchline bounce unfavourably, if it had gone right they would be leading.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone have a link?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Ireland screw up their own lineout, Spain score in the middle of the park, likely to be 12-7

Dreadful decision to go for the lineout, losing 12-7

No lineout No Win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Billy Dardis has shown absolutely no urgency when restarting play all game.

• Advertisement

Spain drop the ball over the Irish line, that was a chance to finish the game for them.

Ireland out

Ireland are out.

3 offensive breakdown infringements, showed their lack of experience. Spanish were well worth their win.

They did great to get out of their pool, but the lack of experience cost them in the end.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I hope this isn't used as a reason to shelve the 7s they did well. And Spain's experience showed through

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lord Lamp

Very disappointing after how well they played yeterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Jaysus pity losing to Spain after beating Samoa

Losing to Canada 7s at half time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

what was the score against Canada?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Shame to lose out. Now we need to ensure we're at top tier asap and we have proper structures for the game at club level both adult and age grade. Need a proper competitive edge to 7s for all clubs

Advertisement