Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Major tax fraud linked to the registration of luxury cars

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

166man wrote: »
    Not the appropriate thread, but water protestors are a shambles.

I think it's quite clear the government has the public interest at heart.

You try to post informative, but in reality you haven't a clue what you're talking about.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

You try to post informative, but in reality you haven't a clue what you're talking about.:)
    You'll have to write a lot better than that if you are going to rubbish a poster! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Just a heads up, you can legally get the log book changed to reflect the 1.3 engine size for Rx7/8s. You go to mazda with a RF111 form declaring the correct 1.3 details, mazda stamp it, then bring it to your tax office it gets taxed as 1.3

I know it's only a few hundred quid, but it's better not in the governments pocket :pac:

100% true.Tried and tested :D .I was stopped by unmarked traffic cops few months back and they could not believe me that every rotary (stock) engine is 1.3(drinks like 4l :) ) and doesnt have pistons.

100% true.Tried and tested :D .I was stopped by unmarked traffic cops few months back and they could not believe me that every rotary (stock) engine is 1.3(drinks like 4l :) ) and doesnt have pistons.
    Do they not come as 1.3 in the logbook when you buy them?? :eek:

My one is uk import came as 2616cc on V5 then lovely irish government tax them as 1744cc.Dont ask me where they got it from....Manual says 2x 654cc,receipt says 2x 654cc but for them is 1744 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Do they not come as 1.3 in the logbook when you buy them?? :eek:
    No... Because someone in Revenue realised one day that it would be nice to screw all Wankel engined car owners and designed a formula that calculates their own engine displacement figures.

Seweryn wrote: »
    No... Because someone in Revenue realised one day that it would be nice to screw all Wankel engined cars and designed a formula that calculates their own engine displacement figures.
    So what are they taxed as if you buy an Irish one that hasn't been modified, if you don't mind me asking? An RX-8 was on my shortlist for a weekend car!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

So what are they taxed as if you buy an Irish one that hasn't been modified, if you don't mind me asking? An RX-8 was on my shortlist for a weekend car!

Bah!

Thanks. :)

If someone didnot bother to change tax to 1308cc you have to pay 1744 cc 179 for 3months i think instead of 108

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

carzony wrote: »
    what will happen to all these cars? scrapped? given to guards as patrol cars?

I am guessing the owners can reclaim them if they settle a hefty tax bill?

Surprised revenue and the Gardai haven't targeted this fraud before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Some are taxed as 1.8, not sure if all.

But physically they are 1.3 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Pretty much everything I buy contains VAT. I'm also fortunate enough to have a good enough job which I pay even more tax on.
    Free houses for people cost money, free education costs money, free maternity care costs money.

Of course, it'd be great to get to keep all my gross pay, it'd be great to not have to pay VAT on my shopping, it'd be great to have world class services laid on my the government, petrol with no excise duty wouldn't do any harm either.

Its all Enda Kennys fault I suppose.
    Something something something, water meters etc etc

I am in total agreement Colm.

The negative attitude is boiling over in this country..........people want everything but don't want to pay for it.

Whenever the Government announce new jobs, improving emplyment statistics, economic growth, the freeloaders and chancers just want to pour scorn on positive news.

I fail to understand how these cars got their engine sizes changed on the V5 book without submitting details of a new engine number. Similarly how are these cars getting through the NCT with incorrect details? Baffling!

Similarly I notice relatively modern Land Rover Discovery Models being driven about on ZV plates. What is going on ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Once the engine number matches the logbook that's all they check.

In my personal experience, that's not even done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

All these questions about how these engines are passing the test - is actually not too difficult. Once it passes the emissions and isn't leaking fluids all over the place then it'll get through without problem. Testers don't care if it's a 4.0 twin turbo V8 under the bonnet while the log book says it's a 2.0. If it passes the figures they have on their system then that's all that really matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Top Dog wrote: »
    All these questions about how these engines are passing the test - is actually not too difficult. Once it passes the emissions and isn't leaking fluids all over the place then it'll get through without problem. Testers don't care if it's a 4.0 twin turbo V8 under the bonnet while the log book says it's a 2.0. If it passes the figures they have on their system then that's all that really matters.

Exactly. Bear in mind that the gas analysis figures are in parts-per-million (PPM), so the size/power of the engine has nothing to do with it, there is no reason that a big engine won't burn as "clean" or more so than a smaller one of the same vintage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Similarly I notice relatively modern Land Rover Discovery Models being driven about on ZV plates. What is going on ?

It's all to do with the chassis.

Modern disco bodies will fit old chassis with a bit of tweaking, hence the zv plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Do I not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

mullingar wrote: »

Modern disco bodies will fit old chassis with a bit of tweaking, hence the zv plates.

Call me a cynic but I doubt many of those are actually on the old chassis

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

mloc123 wrote: »
    Call me a cynic but I doubt many of those are actually on the old chassis

You are a cynic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joe912

I am in total agreement Colm.

The negative attitude is boiling over in this country..........people want everything but don't want to pay for it.

Whenever the Government announce new jobs, improving emplyment statistics, economic growth, the freeloaders and chancers just want to pour scorn on positive news.

I fail to understand how these cars got their engine sizes changed on the V5 book without submitting details of a new engine number. Similarly how are these cars getting through the NCT with incorrect details? Baffling!

maybe people are just tired bending over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

mullingar wrote: »

Are you both getting mixed up between Discovery and Defender? Disco is only about sine '89 so shouldn't be on ZV plates surely?

Effects wrote: »
    Are you both getting mixed up between Discovery and Defender? Disco is only about sine '89 so shouldn't be on ZV plates surely?

I think what they are saying is that they put the discovery body on a defender chassis to avail of vintage tax as the tax book is related to the chassis number

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

joe912 wrote: »
    I think what they are saying is that they put the discovery body on a defender chassis to avail of vintage tax as the tax book is related to the chassis number

Disco body on a Range Rover chassis, never saw the appeal myself, the interior is little more than a collection of crap from the Austin Maestros and Montegos, I'd rather the classic Range Rover to be honest.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Disco body on a Range Rover chassis, never saw the appeal myself, the interior is little more than a collection of crap from the Austin Maestros and Montegos, I'd rather the classic Range Rover to be honest.

I agree the discovery just looks like ****.

Advertisement