Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Major tax fraud linked to the registration of luxury cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

unkel wrote: »
    Yes it is. A massive 151 reg BMW 5-series (worth €60,000) costs €200 to tax

A '92 1l Micra (worth €200) also costs €200 to tax

Ridiculous.

If you buy a 5 series bimmer and you opt for that engine you deserve to be removed from the car and sentenced to either the bus or red line luas

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

listermint wrote: »
    Will they be investigating the tax officials who rubber stamped them?

No ?

didnt think so....

In fairness, the change of engine size was done by the cars owner, and stamped by a private sector registered garage. All he motor tax office do is process the declaration and send to Shannon for changing the VLC.

Maybe they should go after the scamming garages and prosecute them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

They should raffle these motors among tax compliant citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Originally Posted by unkel View Post
    Yes it is. A massive 151 reg BMW 5-series (worth €60,000) costs €200 to tax

A '92 1l Micra (worth €200) also costs €200 to tax

Ridiculous.

if you buy that bm, you are losing a fortune every year in depreciation and loan interest if applicable, the motor tax is nigh on irrelevant... Also people buying these new cars are paying a small fortune in VRT and Vat...

the new audi a7 is E270 a year to tax on the 6 cylinder diesel. The new evoque will be E200. The bmw I8 is E170. I find it fantastic that the people who can afford these cars, can now tax them for virtually nothing and lose a lot less on depreciation as a result, no doubt most if not all are victims of our pathetic bleed em dry marginal rate income tax system, they are contributing more than their "fair share"...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If you can afford a €60,000 151, you are probably earning a sizeable bit north of that. Probably double. Which means your income tax bill is probably in the tens of thousands. I have no idea why people feel the need to begrudge those's that did well for themselves. Not everyone on over €100k is a corrupt banker. They are, on the whole, the one's at the desk before everyone else and their long after everyone has gone home.

If the car tax is €200, I have absolutely no issue with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Yeah... its not really about begrudging any individual but the inescapable sh1ttiness of a two tier system. Yes, these efficient new cars with cheap tax will eventually filter down to the plebs but it will be a while yet until the majority of those people, who you'd deride for not earning as much*, are in 08+ cars. By which time the tax will have crept back up and the goalposts changed again.

*I don't really believe that but your post could be interpreted that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

coylemj wrote: »
    Didn't the cops get one of those bulletproof BMWs that was seized (probably by CAB) from the Dundon gang in Limerick?

I think the X5 the gardai have in cork was seized in limerick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

these efficient new cars with cheap tax will eventually filter down to the plebs

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Never going to happen.

Why not?

It has happened in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joe912

colm_mcm wrote: »
    5 star cars from 10 years ago are hardly deathtraps though. You'd swear poor people were dropping like flies from RTAs.
    We are not "other countries" either, some other European countries have relatively massive taxes on motoring and some have very low taxes. Every country has different ways of taxing citizens, just singling out tax on cars doesn't really tell much.
    I don't think low emission cars should pay €0 tax myself.
    I do agree that there is a tax gulf between certain pre 08 cars and certain post 08s, but I don't think motoring is just for an elite, it is possible to get decent cars here for not much money.

I'm paying €700 odd a year on mine, I use my car every day and drive a good bit. €2 to use the road network for a day doesn't strike me as extortion.
    so your not paying huge amounts of vat and excise duty on fuel. did you some how manage to buy your car free from high levels of vat and vrt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pretty much everything I buy contains VAT. I'm also fortunate enough to have a good enough job which I pay even more tax on.
    Free houses for people cost money, free education costs money, free maternity care costs money.

Of course, it'd be great to get to keep all my gross pay, it'd be great to not have to pay VAT on my shopping, it'd be great to have world class services laid on my the government, petrol with no excise duty wouldn't do any harm either.

Its all Enda Kennys fault I suppose.
    Something something something, water meters etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Pretty much everything I buy contains VAT. I'm also fortunate enough to have a good enough job which I pay even more tax on.
    Free houses for people cost money, free education costs money, free maternity care costs money.

Of course, it'd be great to get to keep all my gross pay, it'd be great to not have to pay VAT on my shopping, it'd be great to have world class services laid on my the government, petrol with no excise duty wouldn't do any harm either.

I think Greece tried out the 'pay as much tax as you want' method, didn't go so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

Co2 tax also is not giveaway cheap. The cars we have in Band A (under 100 g/km) are tax free in other countries. The only reason we think anything up to €390 is 'for nothing' is because we are being swindled by motor tax and have been for quite a while. It is just another thing that this cowardly government couldn't give an arse about changing and continued as is from Fianna Fail.
    Of course if motor tax is cut, other taxes have to go up, or public spending goes down. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with any of those, just pointing out that the government can't magic money out of thin air.

I do find it absurd though that a poor family in a country with appalling public transport (therefore a car is a necessity, not a luxury) has to pay €700 for their 15-year old 1.9 litre Passat, while Bono pays half that for his new €150,000 Mercedes S-Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Another one, a two ton S-Class, 1.6...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Seweryn wrote: »
    Another one, a two ton S-Class, 1.6...

Wow,

Confirmed, a S300 taxed as a 1.6.

341868.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joe912

whatever your taking I hope your not driving.
    maybe you should see a doctor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

Of course if motor tax is cut, other taxes have to go up, or public spending goes down. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with any of those, just pointing out that the government can't magic money out of thin air.

If motor tax is cut, the benefits would be two sided in that a greater variety of cars would be on the road and fully compliant. Anything over 1000 euro is quite frankly a diminishing return for the government. The flood gates have pretty much been opened to facilitate the export of these cars as well through VRT rebates, so that's even more money lost to the exchequer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

I suppose you look down on water protesters too.

It's grand sure, let them pile on the taxes. Shame on people for being unhappy about it, they should be glad they have a government that so obviously holds the public's interests so dear to its heart. It's only 'silly plebs' who will try to put up a fight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Registered Users Posts: 81,385 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

unkel wrote: »
    Or even a €0 flat fee for all cars :)

Add about €0.30 to a litre of fuel and let he who pollutes most pay most tax

Only I learned we already did that round of funnies 30 or 40 years ago. When road tax was abolished and lumped onto fuel. Only then to be re-introduced (of course the fuel tax wasn't taken back). How many times do we want to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Not sure how an insurance company could legitimately refuse to pay based on the wrong cc engine under the bonnet. My car is a 1.3, 1.7 on the book, insured as a 2.6 and yet it's all above board :rolleyes:

Just a heads up, you can legally get the log book changed to reflect the 1.3 engine size for Rx7/8s. You go to mazda with a RF111 form declaring the correct 1.3 details, mazda stamp it, then bring it to your tax office it gets taxed as 1.3

I know it's only a few hundred quid, but it's better not in the governments pocket :pac:

I have to say I wouldn't think twice about buying a car down wrong on the log book to save tax. I don't feel in anyway compelled to pay motor tax at the full rate of possible (like some here) and with it being much riskier to do 3 months on 3 months off nowadays people need a way to avoid the crazy tax prices expected.
    :)

I would have to disagree with most rural people driving older cars. Of say my 7 closest neighbours there is a car newer than 08 in all, plenty newer than 12 and some with two newer than 12.

Putting tax on fuel would be a big big cost to rural
    People.

Also as others have pointed out those buying newer cars are contributing a lot in tax between vrt, vat and most likely paying much more income tax than those running older cars.

The rates on cc should just be reduced without increase elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

As long as they are paying some tax(it seems most are paying over 700 as they put their cars down as 2l) I dont really mind, the Government are just greedy bastard's* Although I would like these news stories to be used to highlight the crazy amounts of Motor tax we pay and instigate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

The other point is the loan shark a.p.r upto 17% charged by tax offices if you wish or in most cases have to pay off quaterly
    Thats the irbc bondholders quaterly..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jelutong

In Britain if you opt to pay your road tax monthly by direct debit it attracts a premium of 5 %.
    Much fairer system.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hoffmans wrote: »
    The other point is the loan shark a.p.r upto 17% charged by tax offices if you wish or in most cases have to pay off quaterly
    Thats the irbc bondholders quaterly..

They say the true cost is the quarterly payment X 4 but if you pay for a full year you get a discount :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I suppose you look down on water protesters too.

It's grand sure, let them pile on the taxes. Shame on people for being unhappy about it, they should be glad they have a government that so obviously holds the public's interests so dear to its heart. It's only 'silly plebs' who will try to put up a fight.

Not the appropriate thread, but water protestors are a shambles.

I think it's quite clear the government has the public interest at heart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

kceire wrote: »
    They say the true cost is the quarterly payment X 4 but if you pay for a full year you get a discount :)

Ironically, its our tax that's paying for the spin doctors who come up with that stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

In the UK was probably a £25 difference.

depending on the age the actual insurance quote could have been astronomical, not disclosing a mod is making your insurance null. A 2.0 turbo is quite a few hp versus a 1.4

stupid clowns

Advertisement