Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

comments about your appearance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Karsini wrote: »
    As a child it seriously messed me up. Went around for years thinking I was ugly and strange. Even now I get the odd person tell me I look like Harry Potter and it does my head in.

On the bright side, I don't hate my appearance anymore and have often been told that I look younger than I actually am.

Embrace that positivity, Karsini. You seem like a really cool guy. I wish I had your knowledge of IT related things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Primary school kids didn't bother me too much with the 4 eyes comments but when I got to secondary school it was a different story.

I agree Whoops, I will most certainly teach my kids empathy, respect and kindness.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've no problem with light hearted slagging about my looks, usually my hair cause its pretty scraggly looking. I used to be affected by more malicious comments, but i don't let it get to me now. Just a good indication that someone's an asshole.

Honestly can't remember the last complement on my looks I got from someone who wasn't my girlfriend or family, but I don't really care. Would rather be complemented for something i did, rather than how I look :).

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Got picked on in school for my hair, it being frizzy was the source of many jokes. For years I have been very conscious of it, though with all the work on it, and maybe even just with time, it's not very frizzy at all anymore. But I'm still quite aware of it and how it looks.

Someone at work asked me an innocent question about it one day and I got defensive without even thinking. Didn't realise that I was still affected by it.

If someone compliments me on something, I desperately have to stop myself countering it with pointing out that they're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Being told by random asses, that I look like any male celebrity with long hair. Can't look like them all and can't see a strong resemblance with celebrity really, even just considering the hair.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I got called 'ugly' by nearly everyone for years. Who's the ugly mo fos now though, eh? Wrinkled up and past their sell by dates?

eternal wrote: »
    I got called 'ugly' by nearly everyone for years. Who's the ugly mo fos now though, eh? Wrinkled up and past their sell by dates?

You definitely aren't ugly, trust me. :)

Karsini wrote: »
    You definitely aren't ugly, trust me. :)
    Just bullies, that's all. True ugliness lies within.

My looks are thankfully one thing I have no interest in. This shell that carries me about is something I train and play with to see what it can do. But it is just a vessel and how it looks to others is uninteresting to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Was an ugly kid and was called as such.grew up and look completely different now.dont accept the compliments at all.im still and ugly insecure kid on the inside.looks are only temporary as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement

smurgen wrote: »
    Was an ugly kid and was called as such.grew up and look completely different now.dont accept the compliments at all.im still and ugly insecure kid on the inside.looks are only temporary as far as I'm concerned.

I'm pretty sure when you are born with that face, you aint getting any other!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Never had a razor haircut or used any sorta hair product in my hair so I do get a load of complements on me hair. "Baby's hair!" is a common enough one surprisingly enough, I dunno if that's a complement or an insult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I got told I looked like a prostitute at work. Lots of people will admire how i dress and older people seem to approve of my looks or lack thereof. I've never really had very negetive remarks made thankfully, at least not to my face

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Some of my buddies told me that I look like Nazi Skinhead now and some girl on night out told me: "You look mad! I like that!". So I guess I am not really one of those people who are "cute and lovely".
    Thing is, that I like the way I look now and I could not give a flying fudge about others negative opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Got called loads of names in my teens from fat arse (I actually had an arse), to rubber lips to turkey head (haha) that knocked any confidence I had in myself out of me completely but no one's been as mean since and if they are, water off a duck's back. Don't take it well when someone criticises me as a person, particularly when I know it's true but physical appearance - don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Oh actually, last year a girl told me that I would be better looking if I was taller.

My leg lengthening op is next week, praise Jesus!

eternal wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure when you are born with that face, you aint getting any other!

Plenty of people who were goofy looking kids turn into absolute stunners.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Susandublin

Think females take it more personally than guys. Women tend to over think a bit too much - usually a great thing but not when it comes to receiving comments - what does that mean etc!
    The older you get the less you care about people and their comments - good/ bad - it all just becomes external noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Most remain monsters, however.

Oh i was in a bar a few years ago, I was overweight, I tried to squeeze by a girl and apologised on the way, she started mocking me and then came to and whispered in my ear something about me being fat. I said "I can lose weight, you can never lose ugly". Of course I went back to my friends with tears in my eyes, I don't really understand how anyone can be that horrible. Makes no sense to me.

Anyway, I've lost two stone since then and am fit as fcuk (though Not quite thin!). I bet she's still a horrible c**t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Wtf? Who would say something like that? What enjoyment do people get saying stuff like that to people?

I know that I was only messing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I said "I can lose weight, you can never lose ugly". Of course I went back to my friends with tears in my eyes, I don't really understand how anyone can be that horrible.

Well, hopefully you've learned your lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I was the other way round. Good looking kid but ended up goofy looking.

I was always hot, those kids couldn't deal with raw beauty :)

Think females take it more personally than guys. Women tend to over think a bit too much - usually a great thing but not when it comes to receiving comments - what does that mean etc!
    The older you get the less you care about people and their comments - good/ bad - it all just becomes external noise.

I'd say more men care than they let on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I would question the IQ and motivations of any adult who makes comments on their colleagues' appearance in the workplace, positive or negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Oh i was in a bar a few years ago, I was overweight, I tried to squeeze by a girl and apologised on the way, she started mocking me and then came to and whispered in my ear something about me being fat. I said "I can lose weight, you can never lose ugly". Of course I went back to my friends with tears in my eyes, I don't really understand how anyone can be that horrible. Makes no sense to me.

Anyway, I've lost two stone since then and am fit as fcuk (though Not quite thin!). I bet she's still a horrible c**t.
    You dont seem to have gotten over that yet

You dont seem to have gotten over that yet

Over the fact someone called me fat? Well I've lost weight so it doesn't bother me any more, if I hadn't lost weight, I might still be upset by it.

I'll never ever get over the fact that grown adults can be that nasty. I cannot comprehend it whatsoever. Never have, and never will.

• Advertisement

Over the fact someone called me fat? Well I've lost weight so it doesn't bother me any more, if I hadn't lost weight, I might still be upset by it.

I'll never ever get over the fact that grown adults can be that nasty. I cannot comprehend it whatsoever. Never have, and never will.

I understand that. The incomprehension that someone of that age could be such a total dickhead is hard to come to terms with - what the fook was her problem? It'd leave you wondering for years. She couldn't possibly be a happy, balanced person.

I think you handled yourself well; I wouldn't have been so calm.

Advertisement