Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

comments about your appearance

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I already know I'm an ugly unappealing to look at gargoyle. Don't care what people think or say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

On topic though I'd be wary of people saying nice things to me, but it depends on the person who says it
    Almost every day someone comments on my appearance. No exaggeration. Either that I've lost weight or that my dress is nice or did I get my hair done. It's really weird.

^^ These. My god there's nothing more suspicious, imo, than repeated complements. Its always either someone looking for something, or far worse, playing the long game with you.

That's not to say I deal with such things every day now :D
    Seriously though, go way to f*ck with that and fool someone else.

^^ These. My god there's nothing more suspicious, imo, than repeated complements. Its always either someone looking for something, or far worse, playing the long game with you.

That's not to say I deal with such things every day now :D
    Seriously though, go way to f*ck with that and fool someone else.

Rarely the same person, although regularly one guy in work who has a major crush on me for quite some time, he has actually text me to compliment me if I've just walked by him. That's a bit fcuked up. Lovely fella like, but seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I tend to blush, when people compliment my looks, even though I'm quite confident about the way I look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I dont get many compliments. I think that is because I am so devilishly handsome that it goes with out saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Rarely the same person, although regularly one guy in work who has a major crush on me for quite some time, he has actually text me to compliment me if I've just walked by him. That's a bit fcuked up. Lovely fella like, but seriously.

I just want you to love me like :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Get a lot of comparisons to Breaking Bad guy (unfortunately not jessi pinkman :-/ ) to the point that I often preempt it because its just boring/annoying at this stage.
    I don't really mind it with guys because if its done in a slagging way you can always throw something back and its safe enough, can't really do the same with women (unless I know them and know they can take it) because thats a minefield.
    Its weird how a random stranger can point out that you really are properly bald but be oblivious to the fact that they are grossly overweight :mad:

This being said its just annoyance and not something I take to heart, have a fairly good body image and since becoming single have done well with the opposite sex but even if I didn't I would hope I wouldn't care because its a certain type of asshole that makes negative comments about someone they don't know at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

No I don't. Iwas called some horrible names when I was younger due to being really skinny and wearing glasses. It takes me a long time to accept a compliment now. I didn't accept them from my bf for nearly a year.

I don't think people realise what nasty comments can do to a person unless they experience it themselves.

KatW4 wrote: »
    No I don't. Iwas called some horrible names when I was younger due to being really skinny and wearing glasses. It takes me a long time to accept a compliment now. I didn't accept them from my bf for nearly a year.

I don't think people realise what nasty comments can do to a person unless they experience it themselves.

I was called horrible horrible names when I was a kid. I had boobs and hips from a young age, despite being tiny, I was called fat, and slagged about a gap in my teeth. Now it appears that people like my tooth gap and my hips and tits but still I feel like that fat ugly 11 year old child, and probably always will.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,380 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Robsweezie wrote: »
    can you accept compliments and laugh at jokes about your appearance? do you mind people drawing attention to the way you look, either good or bad? I personally cant take compliments about it and find them awkward, I get embarrassed , but I appreciate their intention and don't mind it in the long run.

have you enough of a thick skin to shake off criticism or put downs about your looks?

No I am male! We don't get compliments. We call each other fat baldy bastards from one extreme, or shapers to the other extreme.:D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I find it awkward to know what to respond but that is the same with compliments or praise in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Compliments about my appearance are rare and few between so I take 'em when I get 'em :D

I prefer self-depreciation and a good humoured back and forth bit of a laugh with other people than I could be bothered listening to arse kissers.

If someone looks good, then I might comment on their appearance, if they don't look too fresh I prefer to hold my tongue, unless they ask, and then I'll try and be as polite as possible about it. They usually know me well enough to know I'd never mean anything malicious, people have told me they appreciate my honest opinion.

Reading through this thread though, I'm not sure if they were just being polite now too :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭66ad

eviltwin wrote: »
    Ditto. I can take a compliment - just about - although part of me still thinks its a set up for a joke. But I'm getting better at it. I used to get a lot of negative comments about my looks from a certain section of my family and still get the odd one or two even now. Its messed me up but its easier to cope with the older you get.

Are you an identical twin? I use too hate getting compared.

Just guessing your a twin by your using name, sorry if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I wore coloured lip gloss to work one day and the lads ripped the piss out if me. Course I laughed. Then took off the lip gloss!!

What colour was it? Because if it was green or yellow or something, they had a point ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I was called horrible horrible names when I was a kid. I had boobs and hips from a young age, despite being tiny, I was called fat, and slagged about a gap in my teeth. Now it appears that people like my tooth gap and my hips and tits but still I feel like that fat ugly 11 year old child, and probably always will.

How cruel! I bet you are a million times better than them in every way.

I know what you mean about feeling like the bullied child still. The very people who called me 4 eyes in school are now the idiots walking around with fake glasses because they look cool. I take my glasses off on nights out and for pictures too because someone once said to me "boys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses". (thankfully didn't turn out to be true!) I thought I must have been the ugliest person in the world after that comment.

Nasty comments are the ones you will remember and will affect you the most.

What colour was it? Because if it was green or yellow or something, they had a point ;)

Oh it was just pink. Bright pink. I never wear lipstick and they said it was like when homer did Marge's make up with the gun :( :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I've put on close to 3 stone inside 18 months from a medication I have to take for the time being.

I get doors opened for me, stuff lifted etc... When am I due my baby? I usually answer im not pregnant just fat. But yeah I look bigger and it's obvious to anyone who sees me so they usually say 'your looking well' -well fed more like! ;)

How cruel! I bet you are a million times better than them in every way.

I know what you mean about feeling like the bullied child still. The very people who called me 4 eyes in school are now the idiots walking around with fake glasses because they look cool. I take my glasses off on nights out and for pictures too because someone once said to me "boys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses". (thankfully didn't turn out to be true!) I thought I must have been the ugliest person in the world after that comment.

Thankfully I'm not bitter about the comments made, scarred a little perhaps, but not bitter. We were all just kids after all. Better just to learn from it and to teach your kids to have empathy for others, may as well take the positives from it wherever possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

lukesmom wrote: »
    I've put on close to 3 stone inside 18 months from a medication I have to take for the time being.

I get doors opened for me, stuff lifted etc... When am I due my baby? I usually answer im not pregnant just fat. But yeah I look bigger and it's obvious to anyone who sees me so they usually say 'your looking well' -well fed more like! ;)

I fell into that trap once, jesus the ground could've swallowed me up and I'd still have tried to dig my way to Australia! :o

She took it well though, thank fcuk!

Unless you can see the baby's head, never ask a woman when she's due :pac:

(Sorry lukesmom!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

For some reason this thread just reminded me of that scene in Mean Girls when Regina George tells Cady she's pretty and Cady says thank you and Regina George questions her for agreeing with the compliment :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I fell into that trap once, jesus the ground could've swallowed me up and I'd still have tried to dig my way to Australia! :o

She took it well though, thank fcuk!

I see you squirming and raise it by having said that to a widow.
    One of my mums friends when i was 16. My mum actually hit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

OH Your very well mended In other words means you put on weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

someone once said to me "boys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses". (thankfully didn't turn out to be true!) I thought I must have been the ugliest person in the world after that comment.

Oh, I know that one too! Ah yeah...I was the specky four eyes, freckly ginger kid with hand me down clothes. No surprise that I rebelled against the appearance fascists in such a big way by making a point of looking like I was dragged through a hedge backwards, somehow getting decorated in piercings and a multicoloured mohican en route. I've slightly calmed down since, now that I've trained myself not to give a flying fcuk what anyone thinks of how I look. I can also accept a compliment (so long as I agree with it). I still like to frighten the horses from time to time though, especially at weddings where the "shtyle" will be only massive ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭66ad

It's not something that has ever bothered me.

I'm only a little lad, greeting hair and newly sport a pair or spectacles.

Every now and again when someone can't remember my name I hear "Here, little grey, Speccy bastard"

But that's grand :)

Ah man your cracking me up and the smiley is the icing.

Sure it will be Grrrraaannndd.

Irish humor turned up to eleven.

As a child it seriously messed me up. Went around for years thinking I was ugly and strange. Even now I get the odd person tell me I look like Harry Potter and it does my head in.

On the bright side, I don't hate my appearance anymore and have often been told that I look younger than I actually am.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I often call myself a baldy cúnt anyway so if someone else does it, it's no biggy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Thankfully I'm not bitter about the comments made, scarred a little perhaps, but not bitter. We were all just kids after all. Better just to learn from it and to teach your kids to have empathy for others, may as well take the positives from it wherever possible.

That's a great way to look at things. There's a scene in 'Pretty Woman' where Julia Roberts is discussing her childhood. Richard Gere pays her a compliment and she answers by saying the bad stuff is always easier to believe. I've always agreed with that and I think people have a tendency to focus on the negatives a lot more than the positives - I know I do.

Anyway, here's a video I saw yesterday of a little girl who was called 'ugly' by a little boy in her class. Her response made me smile :)

What a little star. If only we were all that well adjusted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Specky four eyes if you wore glasses which I did and if you ask someone to repeat something you were called deaf ears These names were all called when I was at school but as far as I remember no malice was intended.
    It was only in the last few years that i knew you got a hard time if you had ginger hair. My nephew is bright ginger and when he went to secondary school he dyed it jet black, he is nearly 30 now and he still dyes it.

• Advertisement

Sleveile wrote: »
    +1,couldn't care less what people think, and care even less to what they say.

I'm happy with me and its no one elses business.

I would love to be like that.

Advertisement