Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

comments about your appearance

Options
  • 09-03-2015 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

can you accept compliments and laugh at jokes about your appearance? do you mind people drawing attention to the way you look, either good or bad? I personally cant take compliments about it and find them awkward, I get embarrassed , but I appreciate their intention and don't mind it in the long run.

have you enough of a thick skin to shake off criticism or put downs about your looks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Nope.

Comments about my looks, particularly when I was young, seriously ****ed me up. I am not ashamed to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Couldn't give a flying **** what people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Nope.

Comments about my looks, particularly when I was young, seriously ****ed me up. I am not ashamed to say it.

Ditto. I can take a compliment - just about - although part of me still thinks its a set up for a joke. But I'm getting better at it. I used to get a lot of negative comments about my looks from a certain section of my family and still get the odd one or two even now. Its messed me up but its easier to cope with the older you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,367 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

It's typically gormless morons who make innappropriate comments about people's looks, usually says more about them than the people they are complimenting or critiquing.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

People only comment on my appearance when they're complimenting me. I'm pretty good looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I'm not too keen on taking compliments, but if someone made a joke about my appearance or took the piss out of me I'd be the first to laugh. Genuinely have no problem with it, unless it's said with malice

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

When someone says something that even might be hurtful always great when you reply thanks so much and say another thing about your own appearance and they do be lost.

Depends on the comments, and on how original or flattering they are. I try to laugh them off. I've noticed my petiteness is usually mentioned in a way designed not to sound like a put-down, when that's what it's obviously intended to be.

I'm small but I'm mighty, I'll have you know.

I'm always happy to receive compliments, and make a point of thanking people for being kind enough to say something nice.

With other people, I don't say anything at all if I can't say something nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Sleveile

Couldn't give a flying **** what people think.

+1,couldn't care less what people think, and care even less to what they say.

I'm happy with me and its no one elses business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Need to be able to have a laugh at yourself and not take life to seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

"Don't ever look for work in child minding or wear a priest's collar. Ya wouldn't quite have the head for it".

In fairness, I nearly cried laughing :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I think you're all lookin' well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

"Don't ever look for work in child minding or wear a priest's collar. Ya wouldn't quite have the head for it".

In fairness, I nearly cried laughing :D

A picture of you hanging over the mantlepiece will keep the chaps away from the fire though, there's always a bright side.

Ah, you gotta laugh off the comments. It's the only option really, when the auld bossums have sprouted, the guy has spilled over the belt line, and you've a head on ya like sunburnt Luke Kelly tribute act you can't be too sensitive.

Crying would only make it worse, I'd be fierce ugly cryer alright.

I think I'd probably laugh harder at a compliment, would be wondering what planet that person was on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I think I'd probably laugh harder at a compliment, would be wondering what planet that person was on!

They were probably pulled into your orbit by gravity.

The slingshot maneuver around your head was a huge help, in fairness. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Nah, I can't handle any comments, it doesn't matter whether they're good or bad. I had some really ****ty stuff said to me when I was younger and it's just made it impossible for me to accept any comments on my appearance.

You laugh them off but it really does say a lot about the people making the comments. An awful lot.

There must be something lacking in their own pathetic lives that they feel they have to take it out on those who didn't fall off a catwalk in Milan.

It's also important to remember, self praise is no praise at all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

It's a rather nasty thing to comment on a person's appearance to their face. I was out with my brother and a few of his friends over Christmas. They were getting involved in the usual tiresome banter they use in lieu of actually discussing things that really matter. Like their careers to be honest. Anyway, one of them, only 32, was letting the other chaps know that he was recently put on medication. He was trying to be serious, and I felt rather sorry for him as he was obviously worried. Some witless smark alek then remarked: "well you always looked like a brillo pad with high blood pressure". The other lads fell about the place guffawing and snorting like it was the funniest thing they had ever heard. None of them exactly specimens of good breeding and healthy living themselves it must be said (not to their face obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Mostly yes, cgaf about mockery and take compliments pretty well. However, when I hit puberty too early and my body wasn't ready for the massive blast of testosterone, I had an aromatase spike and ended up with gynecomastia (pointy, protruding nipples like miniature boobs), which I'm currently sorting out using anti-estrogen and anti-prolactin medication and supplements. Being referred to as "tits" throughout my teenage years really, really f*cked me up and made me genuinely believe no woman would ever find me attractive, to the point at which I'm far more self conscious about my puffy nips than about my weiner size, which is most lads' go-to point of insecurity.

I'm slightly less self conscious about it now. Having a girlfriend a while ago who far from being repulsed by them, simply found them a handy place to attach a couple of sharp-toothed, flickable clothespins when I'd done something bold certainly helped ;)

• Advertisement

It's a rather nasty thing to comment on a person's appearance to their face. I was out with my brother and a few of his friends over Christmas. They were getting involved in the usual tiresome banter they use in lieu of actually discussing things that really matter. Like their careers to be honest. Anyway, one of them, only 32, was letting the other chaps know that he was recently put on medication. He was trying to be serious, and I felt rather sorry for him as he was obviously worried. Some witless smark alek then remarked: "well you always looked like a brillo pad with high blood pressure". The other lads fell about the place guffawing and snorting like it was the funniest thing they had ever heard. None of them exactly specimens of good breeding and healthy living themselves it must be said (not to their face obviously).

You wouldn't last very long on a site or workshop floor then. Good lord, one must be as quick, as they are thick skinned.. I find it a good quality, actually. To be able to take, and cleverly retort, shows a very good problem solving/solution finding brain in my opinion. I would have far less respect for anyone who would actively speak of someone "not to their face, obviously".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

You wouldn't last very long on a site or workshop floor then.

Thankfully my educational and career choices mean I don't have to work on a site or workshop floor. Small mercies then that I'm spared the witless ignorance and hectoring laughter of men who think that calling someone a "fat bastard" is the very height of improvised comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

I don't get many comments about my appearance. Maybe that's a good thing? I think I look so average that I end up fading into the background a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I was quite an awkward teenager and cruel people used to take advantage of this and rip strips off me, but over time I've grown in confidence and I now feel quite good about myself. 40 now and I get quite a few people telling me I look good for my age and my husband thinks I'm getting better looking as the years go by which is lovely. Being a girl (mature lady?)helps though, I'd imagine lads get a rough time of it no matter their age.

Thankfully my educational and career choices mean I don't have to work on a site or workshop floor. Small mercies then that I'm spared the witless ignorance and hectoring laughter of men who think that calling someone a "fat bastard" is the very height of improvised comedy.

Rest assured, it's much, much smarter than you know. "Office Politics" are the worst kind of "small mercy" in that situation. Your appearance is literally everything in that world, moreso than the qualities that should earn someone their place. On the floor, bad comments about appearance generally result in laughter. In a cubicle, it generally results in restrained frustration and eventually job losses. There are many, many things I don't envy and being in such a place is surely one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

You wouldn't last very long on a site or workshop floor then. Good lord, one must be as quick, as they are thick skinned.. I find it a good quality, actually. To be able to take, and cleverly retort, shows a very good problem solving/solution finding brain in my opinion. I would have far less respect for anyone who would actively speak of someone "not to their face, obviously".

This here, I've heard tales of the abuse given in work shops, but ive yet to come across much of it myself, friend of mine works in dublin bus and he said he had an awful time of it in his first year there, granted ive gotten a bit here and there but a good threat usually does the trick i found, for instance this has instant results "say that to me again and I'll shove this spanner up so far your arse you'l be sh1tting metal for a week...ya cnut" :pac:

On topic though I'd be wary of people saying nice things to me, but it depends on the person who says it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

It's not something that has ever bothered me.

I'm only a little lad, grey hair and newly sport a pair or spectacles.

Every now and again when someone can't remember my name I hear "Here, little grey, Speccy bastard"

But that's grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I worked in the Middle East and when I would return from my holidays at home, my Filipino and Indian chefs used to say to me, “ah chef you got fat". Might have put up a pound nothing extreme.

They never held back in telling you if you had gained weight, but there was never anything malicious meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I'm not mad about personal comments, my head, particularly around my scalp is scarred from.a childhood accident Leaving noticible marks especially visible when my hair is tight. It's not a major issue but I'm.surprised at how often people make comments on it.

• Advertisement

Almost every day someone comments on my appearance. No exaggeration. Either that I've lost weight or that my dress is nice or did I get my hair done. It's really weird.

I wore coloured lip gloss to work one day and the lads ripped the piss out if me. Course I laughed. Then took off the lip gloss!!

Advertisement