Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imela May Does My Head In

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Can't listen to her, accent is pure scobie.

Ahhh social snobbery. Nothin like it eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭emo72

Nodin wrote: »
    Ahhh social snobbery. Nothin like it eh?

But her accent can be a bit grating in fairness. I equally find posh accents grating. Keep it equal now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Lakefrio

Listening to her speak is hard work, she's too intense, take a breath and relax Imelda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    Alright she can sing. The band is good and I am sure she is a nice lady.

But I can't stand her. The music is so annoyingly self-conscious RTE-level 'cool'.

Sorry, I know this is considered blasphemy in suburbia, but if I never heard her ever again I wouldn't give a toss.

In fact, I'd love it.

".... she can sing. The band is good" ........ what else matters?

As far as the music goes, so what if you don't like it? I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't like your favourite artist ......... is it really relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Kentish Town Waltz is a beautiful song. I defy anyone to not be moved by it.

She seems like she's a nice person, I like her style and she has a gorgeous voice.

And she doesn't turn up to the opening of an envelope, unlike many Irish celebrities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Chilli peppers are "provocative"?

I think he was being sarcastic, Nodin.

You of all people should recognise sarcasm. You employ it enough.

Chilli peppers are bloody excellent but hardly "provocative".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Massively overrated imo, its the same ol same ol since she came on the scene, same hair same music, we know jonnys got a boom boom, youve been telling us that for years, a bit of a change would be welcomed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Massively overrated my ass, she's worked very hard to nail her act.

Fair play to her I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Something about the way she is portrayed in the media here...I can't quite explain it...

It's like as if she is rolled out to be marvelled at because of her accent and background. Like something in a circus or zoo out of its natural environment.

"Isn't she great?"

Eh, personally she wrecks my head...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

DeadHand wrote: »
    I think he was being sarcastic, Nodin.

You of all people should recognise sarcasm. You employ it enough.

Chilli peppers are bloody excellent but hardly "provocative".

When you've been here long enough, you'll realise it is genuinely hard to know betimes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Lakefrio

Mallagio wrote: »
    Massively overrated my ass, she's worked very hard to nail her act.

Fair play to her I say.

You can be overrated and still be good at what you do.Half of people probably over rate Lionel Messi and half probably underrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

She seems like a very nice person. Not a fan of her music and while she has no reason to hide her roots it does seem like she's always pushed as the girl from the liberties done well for herself.

At least she doesn't sing in an annoying accent like Damien Dempsey. Yeah we get it Damien yer working class and sing about addiction, social injustice and poverty.

The only place you'll see a bigger gathering of skangers than a Damien Dempsey gig is an Aslan gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DeadHand

When you've been here long enough, you'll realise it is genuinely hard to know betimes.

Point taken.

Not that it worries me. Given my excitable nature I won't survive here that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

have never heard her sing so maybe i'm not missing anything. have seen her picture. don't like rockabilly - so probably not my cup of tea;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

don't like rockabilly - so probably not my cup of tea;)
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Kentish Town Waltz is a beautiful song. I defy anyone to not be moved by it.

You have been defied. Do I get to behead you or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

She's up there with Hozier in terms of mediocre masquerading as talent

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    :eek:...

The weapon is a Norton Manx 500, the helmet is piss-pot, the gloves are big and flappy, and there are mods that want sh1t kicked out of 'em. Turn this up:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Something about the way she is portrayed in the media here...I can't quite explain it...

It's like as if she is rolled out to be marvelled at because of her accent and background. Like something in a circus or zoo out of its natural environment.

"Isn't she great?"

All rte celebrities are horribly bland and generally a bit posh. Imelda is working class but also very likeable so I suppose they want to have a representative from the largest part of society on the airwaves without pissing off Miriam and her husband. Most people like her so it's working. There's obviously going to be some goons that don't like her because of her accent or where she's from as made clear by several posters in this thread.

As regards to her music I like it and she's done well. Most bands like hers have always stayed in the underground scenes including several of her husbands so they've done well to make the breakthrough and get a few quid for it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

whupdedo wrote: »
    Massively overrated imo, its the same ol same ol since she came on the scene, same hair same music, we know jonnys got a boom boom, youve been telling us that for years, a bit of a change would be welcomed

Why should she if she likes it? If you don't like her music, stop buying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

"Isn't she great?"

+1 I find it a bit cringey they way RTE etc do that - as if it's unusual that a working class person with an accent/not related to anyone already working in Irish media is successful and is an anomaly to be marvelled at. Also the fact they they mention shes from the Liberties every.single.time.

Always reminds me of when the "token skanger kid" (who probably just had a strong Dublin accent) would appear on the Toy Show and Gaybo and Pat would desperately try and relate to them :pac:

I don't mind Imelda at all, can take or leave her music but she definitely has talent and has worked hard at her craft to get where she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

I really like her, she's massively talented and genuinely humble.

Which is a world apart from most Irish 'celebs' who are typically heavy on the narcissism, but very light on talent.

More of her sort please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

lubie76 wrote: »
    I agree with Homer, great voice and loads of promise but needs to extend her repotoire, that rockabilly stuff has a short shelf life and looks wise she is stunning but she ain't getting any younger so that cool hair and red lips won't be as flattering in her 40's.
    Actually that is a good point. She'll have to change her image in the coming years.

Not being sexist btw, just look at how boy bands like Take That have had to update their image with age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Is she after turning into a pirate with the eye patch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

Great voice and performer but a bit of a one-trick pony in my opinion. The appeal has worn off for me personally.
    That said, the opening post is a bit strangely angry.
    Don't know whether her 40s (she's already 40) will make a difference to her look in years to come either - a matter of wait and see I guess.

I like her accent - just sounds like an old-fashioned inner city accent, not "scobie".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I strangely like her. I think she's just an ordinary person who had stardom cast upon her. She's in no way facetious or obnoxious like many in her position, she's puts on no airs or graces, basically what you see is what you get with her. I don't mind her music either, it wouldn't ne my all time favourite type of music but it's good all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    Is she after turning into a pirate with the eye patch?
    Yeah what's that about? I figured it was just some sort of soft-tissue injury at first, but she still has it. Hope everything's ok with her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

conorh91 wrote: »
    Yeah what's that about? I figured it was just some sort of soft-tissue injury at first, but she still has it. Hope everything's ok with her.

According to twitter it is from a sushi accident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I like a few of her songs "big bad handsome man" and "love tattoo" and "falling in love with you again" are good.

Advertisement