Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friendly Aliens.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    ET
    What's E.T. Short for?

He's got little legs!

I'll get me coat....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

endacl wrote: »
    What's E.T. Short for?

He's got little legs!

I'll get me coat....

Extra Dimensional Travel

Modern maths has a "Heath Robinson" type approach - at least philosophically - with its many sizes of infinity and logical paradoxes. Would this be the same for ETs? Also, what if they experience time and space differently from us? Perhaps they can only reason using flashes of insight?

Or, perhaps topology is easy, but counting, for them, is an advanced concept few understand? Or perhaps they use quantum logic or some other logic we haven't thought of yet? Or, might they see everything as fractals?

It's often said that if we do make contact, e.g. detect a radio transmission from a distant galaxy through SETI, that maths would be one of the few things we would have in common with them. But - how similar would their maths actually be to ours?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

Even if aliens tried to be nice they'd kill us all with their alien germs. ET should have been torched for the safety of humanity.

It's unlikely that we would be affected by their germs as their biology would likely be quite different to ours. However, if we were affected, the effect would likely be devastating as we'd have absolutely no resistance to this new alien germ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

jonny666 wrote: »
    Mr. Spock

Well first contact could have gone a whole lot differently...

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

Afraid any aliens. If they will come they will kill everybody, if they can.
    If we will land any other planet, we will kill them, if we can. No oter options.

I believe myself, aliens already here. But they need a time to reproduce themselves into a huge numbers and only then to strike.

I believe that because the Universe is a similar structure everywhere, so works the same way. An example are the viruses. they enter bodies and can live inside peacefully for many years, slovly replicate themselves.

Then as number of vruses increased enough, they strike us and kill us.

Same is everywhere. Same principle. My opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Predator he liked playing hide and seek Tehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

kneemos wrote: »
    How come it's always death a destruction with these guys and never sunshine and lollipops and skipping hand in hand into the sunset.
    Do we have any examples of friendly aliens,surely there must be a few decent sorts among them?

ET
    Vulcans
    The Doctor
    Close Encounters
    Coneheads
    Alien Nation
    Telerites
    Andorians
    Iconians
    Riseans
    Atlantian Ancients
    The Nox
    The Asguard
    Mork

Emmm there's loads really....

Just the bad guys are a lot cooler with style, music, design and evilness

Sith imperial Army
    The Daleks
    The Borg
    The Dominion
    The Wraith
    The Ori
    Peacekeepers
    Weeping Angels
    Cybermen
    Xenomorphs

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Ford Prefect, he really knew where his towel was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Even though it seems that a planet with just the right conditions for life and living is rare, and therefore valuable. A technology advanced bunch should be able to terraform.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If any alien species exists that is advanced enough to travel here, we would be so pathetically primitive by comparison that I don't see why they'd pay us any attention at all. Imagine walking past a pond full of tadpoles on your way to work.
    Tadpoles with nukes and bio weapons.

The again there's no need for aliens to come down here and fight us, they could just divert an asteroid / comet into us. Then again if they are looking for minerals or water they'd just keep the asteroid / comet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Tadpoles with nukes and bio weapons.

The again there's no need for aliens to come down here and fight us, they could just divert an asteroid / comet into us. Then again if they are looking for minerals or water they'd just keep the asteroid / comet.

If they need a pet I might be willing to wear a collar.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How come it's always death a destruction with these guys and never sunshine and lollipops and skipping hand in hand into the sunset.
    Do we have any examples of friendly aliens,surely there must be a few decent sorts among them?

We've seen over and over again here on earth that when more advanced civilizations meet much less advanced people - they usually take serious advantage of them and most often they destroy the fabric of the less advanced people's society, murder and pillage seems a very popular option in this instance..
    SO..
    We're not capable of going out there and finding less advanced civilisations to be mean to, meaning its most likely they are more advanced and will come here and find us. So our experience has shown us that if we meet aliens we're going to come off much the worse for the experience.. I fully expect that they're out there - and hopefully they don't find us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

_Brian wrote: »
    We've seen over and over again here on earth that when more advanced civilizations meet much less advanced people - they usually take serious advantage of them and most often they destroy the fabric of the less advanced people's society, murder and pillage seems a very popular option in this instance..
    SO..
    We're not capable of going out there and finding less advanced civilisations to be mean to, meaning its most likely they are more advanced and will come here and find us. So our experience has shown us that if we meet aliens we're going to come off much the worse for the experience.. I fully expect that they're out there - and hopefully they don't find us.

Saying that hopefully they don't find 'us' ? would be like a colony of worker ants scurrying around under a motorway building structure oblivious to 'us'. If their technology is millions of years more advanced compared to ours.

Who knows... Maybe they are already here and have been for thousands of years, but their technology is so advanced that they are cloaked/invisible to our primitive visual sight on the electromagnetic spectrum ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Repsac the friendly alien. The friendliest alien you'll know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

I think a very common misconception of aliens is thier advance cultural situation.

Comparing things like when white people met the native americans is crazy. They were more advance in a technical sense.. but aliens would be far more advance in all sense of things. With that type of age/advancement, its far more likely they are very very peaceful or uninterested.
    What possible aspect of humanity could invoke even a moresel of fear in them to create anger?
    N they would be so self sufficient that looking outside themselves emotionally for any needs is extremely unlikely..
    And further advances like cybernetic implants and artificial intelligence would render the methods of need resolution so out of our comprehension that its laughable to think theyd need to arrive here for anything..

Do you go the rainforest to visit primitive tribes?
    They offer nothing of value to you so you couldnt be bothered.

The only reason would be tourism but theyd likely have zoos of types beyond our imagination and they may aswell be fully virtual..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

manonboard wrote: »
    I think a very common misconception of aliens is thier advance cultural situation.

Comparing things like when white people met the native americans is crazy. They were more advance in a technical sense.. but aliens would be far more advance in all sense of things. With that type of age/advancement, its far more likely they are very very peaceful or uninterested.
    What possible aspect of humanity could invoke even a moresel of fear in them to create anger?
    N they would be so self sufficient that looking outside themselves emotionally for any needs is extremely unlikely..
    And further advances like cybernetic implants and artificial intelligence would render the methods of need resolution so out of our comprehension that its laughable to think theyd need to arrive here for anything..

Do you go the rainforest to visit primitive tribes?
    They offer nothing of value to you so you couldnt be bothered.

The only reason would be tourism but theyd likely have zoos of types beyond our imagination and they may aswell be fully virtual..

just in reply to your analogy of the tribes in the rain forest..

http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sciences/rare-amazon-tribe-nearly-extinct-from-deforestation.html

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/apr/22/brazil-rainforest-awa-endangered-tribe

http://www.ibtimes.com/last-remaining-amazon-tribes-nearing-extinction-brazilian-rainforest-photos-videos-551965

So while aliens actually mightn't be bothered with us, they may want our natural resources and incidentally leave our planet inhospitable as a result of extracting the resources..

Read the articles above, it's happening right now on this planet, humans are extracting wood and devastating the rainforests leaving these human tribes extinct. So why would we somehow think that aliens would treat us any better when we don't treat each other any better.. They may well have complete disregard for us as a species considering how poorly we treat each other..

We need to base our position on whatever scraps of similar evidence we can find, and what we have seen happen and is still ongoing shows we should worry about aliens arriving and presume it won't end well for us.

We can hope for a better outcome, but hope is all it would be !

EDIT:
    forgot to add this link.. http://www.rain-tree.com/facts.htm#.VP1t7_msUc0

In Brazil alone, European colonists have destroyed more than 90 indigenous tribes since the 1900's. With them have gone centuries of accumulated knowledge of the medicinal value of rainforest species. As their homelands continue to be destroyed by deforestation, rainforest peoples are also disappearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

just in reply to your analogy of the tribes in the rain forest..

http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sciences/rare-amazon-tribe-nearly-extinct-from-deforestation.html

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/apr/22/brazil-rainforest-awa-endangered-tribe

http://www.ibtimes.com/last-remaining-amazon-tribes-nearing-extinction-brazilian-rainforest-photos-videos-551965

So while aliens actually mightn't be bothered with us, they may want our natural resources and incidentally leave our planet inhospitable as a result of extracting the resources..

There's nothing on Earth apart from biology that you can't get elsewhere, more easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

In either case OP, we should be safe in Ireland... Aliens seem to be attracted to mostly the USA come invasions, from what I've learnt from the Movies... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

BeerWolf wrote: »
    In either case OP, we should be safe in Ireland... Aliens seem to be attracted to mostly the USA come invasions, from what I've learnt from the Movies... :pac:

Indeed. And we wouldn't be much a threat to them anyway. What are we going to do? Mobilise the FCA?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭daheff

What about Cocoon....and to a lessor extent Cocoon II??

If they need a pet I might be willing to wear a collar.

Yeah but are you willing to be neutered coz they don't what you reproducing??? :eek:

Although if they go down the same route as we do with horses...I wanna be the one sent out to cover the females ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Consider, if you will, the conquistadors. In our own history it rarely worked out well for people when they were visited by more technologically advanced others.
    It's not really a good comparison. For any animal to be able to build a spaceship their going to have to be fairly social, they need to be able to work together to achieve large scale construction projects. To be successful at science they need to have an appreciation for biodiversity and drop any biases they have, which would mean their very open to new discoveries.
    If any alien species exists that is advanced enough to travel here, we would be so pathetically primitive by comparison that I don't see why they'd pay us any attention at all. Imagine walking past a pond full of tadpoles on your way to work.
    Human scientists don't walk past a pond of tadpoles and think it's insignificant. I'd be shocked in any aliens spent thousands of years exploring millions of lifeless planets and didn't blow their top when they came across earth. If aliens already know about earth they're more than likely studying us and will continue to study us in secret for as long as they can. I very much doubt they'd make themselves known to us as it would erode any scientific value we have to them.
    The only unique things about earth is life, and an intelligent species. Maybe you could argue oil would be unique as it needs a planet with life on it for millions of years but we've used up most of it and it's not exactly a fuel that makes a lot of sense in space. The resources needed to get our natural resources into space would be huge as well. Much easier to just cruise up to the asteroid belt and take what you need.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Human scientists don't walk past a pond of tadpoles and think it's insignificant. I'd be shocked in any aliens spent thousands of years exploring millions of lifeless planets and didn't blow their top when they came across earth. If aliens already know about earth they're more than likely studying us and will continue to study us in secret for as long as they can. I very much doubt they'd make themselves known to us as it would erode any scientific value we have to them.

I wouldn't be so sure. I mean it's basically impossible for us to predict the motives of an alien culture because they'd be so... alien. However, I would be of the opinion that if they are capable of travelling in such a way that they can get to Earth in a reasonable time frame, then they would have such a vast array of places to study that Earth would be pretty unremarkable.

It's remarkable to us because it's our home, and the only place we know of that harbours life, let alone intelligence. However, what we're talking about here is a galaxy that not only harbours life apart from ours, but life that's even more advanced and close enough by to visit. At that point you've enough information to say that intelligent life is most likely ubiquitous and we're no longer special at all.

I wouldn't be so sure. I mean it's basically impossible for us to predict the motives of an alien culture because they'd be so... alien.
    They will be alien in many ways I'm sure and I'm sure they've found alternative solutions to some of the same problems but it's just as likely they might be a lot like us because sometimes there's only one solution to a problem, science and maths leads to absolute answers were their is one answer. It's impossible to know but we would know that resources wouldn't motivate them to land on earth, we do know that they'd need to share tasks across their society if they want to get into space which would mean they'd have to have some sort of social structure that didn't involve a self centred dictatorship.

However, I would be of the opinion that if they are capable of travelling in such a way that they can get to Earth in a reasonable time frame, then they would have such a vast array of places to study that Earth would be pretty unremarkable.
    From what I remember of astronomers searching for planets is that the majority of planets that they've found are gas giants, and many are in such a close proximity to their sun that it would make any rocky planets like ours existing in the habitable zone of their solar system impossible. I think planets with the right conditions for life are very rare and looking at how humans evolved on earth it was pure chance something like us came along. There's no reason to believe that accident has ever happened before and if it has happened it's bound to be something super rare on the few planets that have life. That could still lead to thousands of intelligent species out there but there's no guarantee there's any at all.

If a species was aimlessly wandering around the universe with no actual purpose and came across a planet with life on it, even if it was the 1000th planet they'd found with intelligent life, it's still going to be a one in a billion find. It's bound to break up the monotony of finding gas giants.

ScumLord wrote: »
    From what I remember of astronomers searching for planets is that the majority of planets that they've found are gas giants, and many are in such a close proximity to their sun that it would make any rocky planets like ours existing in the habitable zone of their solar system impossible.

This is / was an observation bias. Gas giants close to the star are much easier to find. In the wake of more recent observatories like the Kepler space telescope, the balance has shifted dramatically, with smaller planets now considered to be much more common than gas giants.

So much so that current estimates are that the galaxy has about 22 billion earth sized planets in the habitable zone of sun like stars, with about 50% of red dwarfs (the most common kind of star) thought to possess Earth like worlds in that zone.

Mind boggling to think of really. So if you thought they were going to get bored of gas giants, they may well be much more bored of wet rocks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Superman?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Was gonna say Casper. But he's a ghost. Damn friendly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Aenaes wrote: »
    Superman?

Superman spent all day working for a newspaper.
    What's the use having superpowers if you're going to sit behind a desk 9-5?

So much so that current estimates are that the galaxy has about 22 billion earth sized planets in the habitable zone of sun like stars, with about 50% of red dwarfs (the most common kind of star) thought to possess Earth like worlds in that zone.
    Would there not be another confirmation bias there though? I remember watching something on youtube about them actively looking for red dwarfs because it was easier to see the smaller rockier planets pass in front of them.

I wonder would a red dwarf put out enough energy to support life on a planet? I would also think that life would depend on being in a collection of stars or gas clouds that have had plenty of activity too. There would have had to have been multiple generations of stars spewing out the building blocks of life to create the breeding ground for life baring solar systems.

My point being, I don't think it's as straightforward as, there's a sun with a planet in the right place, there's probably life there. There may be a load of other variables that need to be in place too. Maybe a large moon is a pretty essential component to advanced life forming?

It kind of sucks that we may be the in between generation when it comes to our understanding of space and space travel. In that, the last generation pioneered space exploration, everything seemed possible and just around the corner. The next generation with their extended life expectancies may be the ones to pioneer an actual commercial space industry that see's people moving into and working in space. We're probably a few hundred years off people realistically living in space and we'll probably have gone through a significant change as a species seeing the kind of technology coming down the line.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There's nothing on Earth apart from biology that you can't get elsewhere, more easily.
    And you don't even need to come down here to get it.

They could just download the DNA and protein sequences available on the interweb and print their own organisms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Zig and Zag. And Zuppy, of course.
    I know Zag can be a bit of an aul bitch sometimes, but they're mostly friendly.

Advertisement