Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friendly Aliens.

Options
  • 06-03-2015 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭

How come it's always death a destruction with these guys and never sunshine and lollipops and skipping hand in hand into the sunset.
    Do we have any examples of friendly aliens,surely there must be a few decent sorts among them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

kneemos wrote: »
    How come it's always death a destruction with these guys and never sunshine and lollipops and skipping hand in hand into the sunset.
    Do we have any examples of friendly aliens,surely there must be a few decent sorts among them?
    ET

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ALF
    Mork
    That guy from that ad about the Harp (or was he a time traveller?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Mac from Mac and Me
    Mork from Mork and Mindy
    Linda Martin the Martian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

That E.T. fellah seemed like a decent sort.

Phone Home & all that.....

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

A mans G-spot is up his arse..... supposedly, them Aliens are always arse probing, looks like their trying to please us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Golaco

A mans G-spot is up his arse..... supposedly, them Aliens are always arse probing, looks like their trying to please us.

An interesting theory. I would like to subscribe to your newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

This country has centuries of bad luck with people who show up on our shores. It might be wishful thinking to suppose that things would be better just because they rock up in a flying saucer. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Mac from Mac and Me

Paul Rudd loves that movie!

'merica.......phew...phew..plew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Consider, if you will, the conquistadors. In our own history it rarely worked out well for people when they were visited by more technologically advanced others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

"monsters" is a pretty decent alien film: to write anymore would spoil it for those who haven't seen it. Love the theme tune...was used in the ROG documentary by RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Mr. Spock

jonny666 wrote: »
    Mr. Spock

Logical choice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

Aliens in 'Contact' were a helpful / friendly sort. As were those in 'Interstellar' but I'm not sure that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

friendly alien 4.00 in....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Arthur C Clarke's Childhood's End dies a decent job with the whole alien contact thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I bring you love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

The Doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

One would hope that a species technologically advanced enough to reach us would also be socially advanced enough to see the benefits of being friendly. Also, it's unlikely that we would have anything that they need.

Of course, they could be so fundamentally different from us that they don't even recognise us as intelligent life. They could view us the way we view a virus, bacteria, snail etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Even if aliens tried to be nice they'd kill us all with their alien germs. ET should have been torched for the safety of humanity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

District 9 was on tonight. To me the aliens were the nice ones, some of them cute even. The humans were just cnuts.

It's the human race I worry about, not aliens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

DVDM93 wrote: »
    District 9 was on tonight. To me the aliens were the nice ones, some of them cute even. The humans were just cnuts.

Haven't seen it, but from what I hear that was the whole point. The movie was a metaphor for apartheid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

The problem with this scenario of 'us' thinking of meeting benevolent aliens is that we are a paranoid civilisation. We just cannot accept and co-exist with our own world family of human beings without killing them for something or other.

Many human beings are happy in their box thinking they are safe and tranquil, and even cloud cover makes them warm and cosy within this cotton-wool encompassed enclosure disregarding the immense outer-ness of space while scurrying around nervous of something in-coming to our little box atmosphere.

Would a sane person really think a friendly alien would visit us physically for the human experience ? not a fcuking chance man. If they had the technology to warp space and time to visit this planet I'm sure they would remove the nuisance and make good use of the planet they now own.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If any alien species exists that is advanced enough to travel here, we would be so pathetically primitive by comparison that I don't see why they'd pay us any attention at all. Imagine walking past a pond full of tadpoles on your way to work.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Close Encounters of the Third Kind, watched it for the first time recently actually

Haven't seen it, but from what I hear that was the whole point. The movie was a metaphor for apartheid.

Yeah, the oppressor becoming the oppressed. To quote Blomkamp himself, "the Nazi becoming the holocaust victim"

If any alien species exists that is advanced enough to travel here, we would be so pathetically primitive by comparison that I don't see why they'd pay us any attention at all. Imagine walking past a pond full of tadpoles on your way to work.

I agree. They'd probably be so advanced that it'd be similar to us trying to teach a monkey what a plane or rocket is, and that'd be even worse if we were to try and teach monkeys how to build a plane or rocket. Their technology could possibly be beyond our comprehension. It's nice to think that they'd still appreciate another intelligent life form though, just like we would if we discovered one on another planet.

Advertisement