Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much of Ireland have you seen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Never been in Waterford or wexford. Been everywhere else. I'll tick them off the box this summer. The best thing about Carlow was the road out of it.

come on down its nice here . take a few days , start in Dungarvan take in copper coast towards dunmore East, skip Tramore. take short ferry across to Ballyhack then day or two around the hook and south county Wexford across towards Kilmore quay. Wexford town then Curracloe , dont bother goin further north than that , from here go Enniscorty , Bunclody mt leinster and have a look out across county Carlow.... beautiful view

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

From the Ring of Kerry to Malin Head and across through Tyrone to Antrim, the coves and fishing-villages of Cork to the bustle of Dublin, the Aran Islands to the fruited plains of Kilkenny and Carlow ya mad yoke ya. I've seen most of it, and it's pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

dunno how it's possible to be Irish and not see most counties over the years because of how small the island actually is.

It has nothing to do with size TBH. I wouldn't have any desire to visit places like Limerick, Kilkenny, Tipperary, Longford, Leitreim, Roscommon or Cavan for example. The rugged beauty of the coastal areas would be more appealing to me. That said I have never been to Cork, Kerry or Clare, not yet anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

It has nothing to do with size TBH. I wouldn't have any desire to visit places like Limerick, Kilkenny, Tipperary, Longford, Leitreim, Roscommon or Cavan for example. The rugged beauty of the coastal areas would be more appealing to me. That said I have never been to Cork, Kerry or Clare, not yet anyway.

I mentioned size more as a part of how easy and quick it is to travel to different counties. But yeah the coastal counties are the best ones for actual tourism. Parts of Kerry and Clare are some of the best places to visit in Ireland, when the weather picks up you should make the trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

come on down its nice here . take a few days , start in Dungarvan take in copper coast towards dunmore East, skip Tramore. take short ferry across to Ballyhack then day or two around the hook and south county Wexford across towards Kilmore quay. Wexford town then Curracloe , dont bother goin further north than that , from here go Enniscorty , Bunclody mt leinster and have a look out across county Carlow.... beautiful view
    is it true to say Wexford is the sex abuse capital of Ireland? it has produced some amount of sickos to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

Every county, its truly stunning in some parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Been to all the coastal counties in the southern half of the country for leisure at some point in time. Strangely enough and without intent I've never been to anything north of Dublin, both east and west. Been to Galway but never been to Mayo or Sligo. Been to Dublin but never to Meath or Louth and never in the North. Also never been to some of those smaller midland counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Go to Clare. Do it this year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Been to all 32 counties many times over. it really is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Del2005 wrote: »
    With the amount I heard about the Giants Causeway in school and from the tourism people it had to be one of the biggest let downs when I eventually saw it, spent a weekend watching top class road racing beforehand.

The Giant's Causeway is lovely on a sunny day, but when it's wet its just a load of stones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Did all 32 counties over 4 weeks on a motorcycle a couple of years ago, even got to the islands.

It's a beautiful country we have, if you haven't seen a lot of it, get out there & do it, you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Every bit of it although a lot was down to work,I was in areas that nobody would normally travel unless they were locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Ireland is tiny! I'm amazed that there are people who have lived here all of their lives who haven't ended up visiting every county at least once, if not a few times.

It's not that amazing. Why visit Longford unless you decide to? We are not talking about driving through but deciding to visit a place and getting out of the car for more than a dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Hmm. Tipperary is an obvious tourist county to me. The rock of cashel, chair castle and one of my favourite places in ireland, Ballina/Killaloe.

In general I agree about coastal counties. Kilkenny gets a lot of tourism too.

Edit: missed your last sentence. That's nuts. Not visiting the second biggest City in the country. And the county is stunning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Iv been to most places in Ireland for one thing or another with the exception of Derry. Iv just never needed to go there :)

Maybe if I reach my 80th birthday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

About two years ago me and the gf were trying to decide where to go on holidays and after going through a few places we realised there were loads of parts of Ireland we hadn't been to.
    Anyway, we abandoned the idea of a foreign holiday and decided to take a chance. We spent four weeks basically just driving round the coast from Donegal right back round to Donegal. Camping, B&Bs, hostels, whatever. Just going wherever took our fancy and not really planning anything.
    It was the best holiday I've ever been on.

Quite jealous at this, good man!

Hmm. Tipperary is an obvious tourist county to me. The rock of cashel, chair castle and one of my favourite places in ireland, Ballina/Killaloe.

In general I agree about coastal counties. Kilkenny gets a lot of tourism too.

Edit: missed your last sentence. That's nuts. Not visiting the second biggest City in the country. And the county is stunning.

Cork wouldn't really appeal to me, not as much as Clare or Kerry anyway. The actual size of a city makes no difference. I don't think its nuts not having visited it just because its the second largest city in the country. Tipperary has some lovely castles but then again so do most counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

Everywhere except cork and derry!and for people ripping on the midlands i would recommend a river shannon cruise,goes right through the middle and is absolutely stunning!

flas wrote: »
    Everywhere except cork and derry!and for people ripping on the midlands i would recommend a river shannon cruise,goes right through the middle and is absolutely stunning!

How much did that set you back? Where does it start?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I've been to paradise but I've never been to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Just looked at a map - reckon I've been to every county bar Tyrone (I think I've driven through it though).

Started a job that has a lot of travelling last year so the number of counties I was in has increased pretty rapidly over the last 12 months.

Never really get a chance to enjoy them though, but it gives me a fair idea of where I'd like to go back to.

Started a job that has a lot of travelling last year so the number of counties I was in has increased pretty rapidly over the last 12 months.

Yeah people who travel for work reasons are obviously going to see a lot more. My job doesn't involve traveling, but I did have to go to Sligo last year for a meeting with a new customer. It was my first time in Sligo as well as Longford and Leitrim which I passed through on the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Most counties in the south east, Cork and a few up the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I've seen most of the South, West, some of the East side but gone to northern parts and southern and the east parts of Ireland. Mainly midlands and countryish/beach areas. Mainly along the west coast, and south west coast.

I think the only province I've been to all counties too either stayed there, passed through or spent the day there has been all in Munster. I've been to most of Connaught except Sligo and Leitrim. Most of Lenister mainly Dublin and surrounding counties and the midlands and Kilkenny/laois. Except Wicklow, Carlow and Wexford.

Not been to 5 of the 26 counties, been to 21 of them. Not been to the north so in total not been to 14 counties of 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I haven't purposely visited that many places in Ireland, but I would say Ive driven through or been in every county/major town in the republic for weddings, parties, events, seeing friends etc . But Ive hardly seen anywhere up north in fact Ive never been in Belfast except to see the science museum W5 , which is in the docklands so it doesn't really count, and that was when I was 12.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭happy_knome

been to every county on the island of ireland accept waterford

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

been to every county on the island of ireland accept waterford

Youre really missing out(!)

I only have fond memories of Waterford. The women and the chips are delicious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

I love visiting places around Ireland. It beats drinking in the pub.

We never went on Irish holidays as kids so there's no better way than visiting places yourself.

I'm a proper Irish tourist, I've kissed the Blarney Stone.

I've never been to the Cliffs of Moher so that's something I'll visit this year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I've actually been all over Ireland except past Belfast further north. Been up to Donegal to the bottom of West Cork and through the Midlands. I love West Cork, Kerry, Clare, Donegal and I suppose Dublin is pretty cool. Nearly forgot Galway, lived there for long enough, beautiful city.

Advertisement