Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much of Ireland have you seen?

Options

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

All of it. 32 counties multiple times. The old man decided when I was a kid that we needed to see every town and village in Ireland. Used to bring the Hiace home from work every Friday evening, chuck us in the back on Saturday morning (two milk crates and a scaffold board as a bench) and head off on a camping trip every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I've seen the lot I don't like green peace so I drive my car around endlessly and make them cry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

mike_ie wrote: »
    All of it. 32 counties multiple times. The old man decided when I was a kid that we needed to see every town and village in Ireland. Used to bring the Hiace home from work every Friday evening, chuck us in the back on Saturday morning (two milk crates and a scaffold board as a bench) and head off on a camping trip every weekend.

Your da is a legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Ive been in every county bar Sligo

I'm in Sligo right now: pissing rain and blowing a gale (but I like it!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Agricola wrote: »
    Most counties in the south, probably not Cavan or Monaghan. First time in Belfast and the north-east in general last summer. Belfast was odd. Like being in a British city despite the fact I never got on a plane or ferry. Think it's all the union flags!

*would be grateful if people would try not to be tedious by pointing out Belfast is in the UK. Cheerio!

You must not have seen much of Belfast then. Sure the west has its own Gaeltacht area and you aren't gonna see many union flags in Ardoyne, or parts of the north and south

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

All corners of Dublin
    Wee bit of Galway, Kildare, and Louth.
    Newry, Belfast, and Derry.

cloud493 wrote: »
    All corners of Dublin
    Wee bit of Galway, Kildare, and Louth.
    Newry, Belfast, and Derry.

You say Newry but do you mean Sainsburys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

You say Newry but do you mean Sainsburys

No I have relatives in Co Down and Armagh. Been all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

All 32 I think but only in Waterford and Louth as a young child.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

you aren't gonna see many union flags in Ardoyne
    There are plenty of little pockets of red white and blue around the wider ardoyne/new lodge/cliftonpark area

• Advertisement

There are plenty of little pockets of red white and blue around the wider ardoyne/new lodge/cliftonpark area

certainly but my point was if a person went to Belfast and only say union flags they obviously didn't see much of Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Donegal Derry Sligo Mayo Galway Clare Westmeath Roscommon Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭skippy15

Have visited all 32 and have stayed in most I reckon
    As a dub favourite county is a throw up between mayo and kerry for natural beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Golaco

mike_ie wrote: »

That's class! A field trip every weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Very little to be honest. You can visit a county, but only a small part of it. It takes time to "know" a county as a whole, or any location for that matter.
    Ah come off it , it doesn't take time to " know" that county longford is a ****ehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Christ I thought I was doing well until I read this.

I've been to all southern coastal counties more than once and all counties in northern ireland once. Except for tipperary and Kilkenny I haven't overnighted at any inland county in the Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

All of the counties in the south and all except Derry and Antrim in the North.
    Favourites are Dublin(as a Dub I guess I'm biased :P),Galway, Clare,Waterford and Wicklow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

I was having a conversation with some people in work today. One of them is Polish and he was telling us about all the counties in Ireland he has visited. He has seen a lot more of the country than the rest of us. Maybe the Irish are not as bothered with seeing their own country, but it made me realise how little of Ireland I've actually visited. I've been meaning to plan a trip up the north for a while now, in particular Antrim and the Giants Causeway but I never seem to get round to it. Whenever I get my holidays in work I usually go abroad but I'm gonna try and see more of the country this year.
    Very little I like dublin.

Sorry that sounds so rude...sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Very little I like dublin.

Sorry that sounds so rude...sorry.

Maybe you just haven't seen it in the right light.
    Georgian houses and squares, parks and greens. History at every turn.
    Dublin is one of the loveliest historical cities in Europe imo. Architecture and culture and history at every hands turn.
    Museums, ok they aint the Louvre, but still some wonderful works held.
    Cobbles and streets well worn with poets and drunks and sometimes the two mix well.
    A fantastic city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Up until last year i never really ventured outside of Clare and Dublin sticking to the motorway in between. but met a load of Americans and they speak highly of our country and gave me the idea to start touring around when i finished work at 11am. so i started from Dublin. then meath, louth, westmeath, cavan, down, kildare, wicklow(nearly lost the car to the side of the mountains, never again) kilkenny, laois. and waterford. then i came home and so far ive done all of Munster. but still have to explore more or cork and Kerry and take another spin back to waterford. And because i always have me phone with me google has been tracking my locations everywhere so now i have a nice portfolio of all the roads and stops done and i only have the Americans to thank for showing me how intresting the country is, even if its always raining. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I think the only ones I have stayed a night on land in are Clare, Cork, Donegal, Dublin, Galway, Kerry, Leitrim, Limerick, Mayo, Waterford, Westmeath :-/

Then there were a few boating trips, so probably most of the other counties on the Shannon/Erne.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

All of it, dunno how it's possible to be Irish and not see most counties over the years because of how small the island actually is. I'd like to do a consecutive tour of the entire country though, but if I was going to spend that much time travelling I'd probably do it somewhere like Thailand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Smidge wrote: »
    Maybe you just haven't seen it in the right light.
    Georgian houses and squares, parks and greens. History at every turn.
    Dublin is one of the loveliest historical cities in Europe imo. Architecture and culture and history at every hands turn.
    Museums, ok they aint the Louvre, but still some wonderful works held.
    Cobbles and streets well worn with poets and drunks and sometimes the two mix well.
    A fantastic city.
    I love Dublin!

No I mean in answer to the question

Have you seen much of Ireland?

Very little, I like Dublin.

I have seen very little of Ireland. I like Dublin. Sorry if that's rude :o

Agree with you great city.

I guess if was to travel I would prefer some sun you know :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Ireland is tiny! I'm amazed that there are people who have lived here all of their lives who haven't ended up visiting every county at least once, if not a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

mfceiling wrote: »
    Most of it.

I have seen those counties with a coastline. I have yet to see Offaly, but considering how small Ireland is, I'd consider myself having seen most of the country.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've visited every single county, both in the Republic and Northern Ireland. I'd say I've seen pretty much all of the country with the exception of parts of Southern Tipperary.

Connemara in Galway is my favourite region. I'd gladly have a holiday retreat there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

Apart from the Burren and Connemara, most of Ireland is the same, rural backwaters for the most part, I have seen much more of thew UK, a far more diverse Island in geographical terms, there are parts for North Yorkshire and Cumbria for example that are far more beautiful than anything Kerry or Wicklow has to offer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I was having a conversation with some people in work today. One of them is Polish and he was telling us about all the counties in Ireland he has visited. He has seen a lot more of the country than the rest of us. Maybe the Irish are not as bothered with seeing their own country, but it made me realise how little of Ireland I've actually visited. I've been meaning to plan a trip up the north for a while now, in particular Antrim and the Giants Causeway but I never seem to get round to it. Whenever I get my holidays in work I usually go abroad but I'm gonna try and see more of the country this year.

With the amount I heard about the Giants Causeway in school and from the tourism people it had to be one of the biggest let downs when I eventually saw it, spent a weekend watching top class road racing beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Answers:

From Dublin: where's Ireland?
    Not from Dublin: yes.

• Advertisement

I've seen pretty much all of our wee island over the last 12 years and continue to do so because of work. There are fúck all counties that I haven't been in countless times, places that some posters in here don't even believe exist! I was in the fabled Leitrim just 2 nights ago, Down yesterday.

We really do have a beautiful country, North, South, East and West. Midlands - Not so much :P

Advertisement