Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you play an instrument?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Yep. Guitar (electric and acoustic) mainly. But I've also tried my hand at and been pretty ok at bass guitar, piano and the flute.

Have actually tried to relive my teenage years recently and formed a band with my friends again. It's a lot of fun, especially seeing as we're no longer relying on lifts from our parents to get to practice!

Youre all in the one nursing home?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

obriendj wrote: »
    I have been playing Guitar on and off the last few years. I am ok but can't seem to step up to playing songs in full. perhaps i need some professional lessons but must say youtube is brilliant!!

Same here. I've been trying to teach myself how to play acoustic guitar and bass but I don't even have the energy or the endurance, let alone the skill to play a full length song.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I play the flute, classical and trad. I also can play tin whistle and I can play a little bit on guitar.

I really want to learn to play the piano. I would also love to play saxophone and double bass or cello but it'll probably never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

No but I have a lovely decorative guitar in my flat. Makes me look soulful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I had a guitar (Gibson SG copy) in my room for years cos it looked good. Never did actually learn how to play and and sold it on.

I can press some keys and make sounds, its on the internet if you know where to look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I played violin when I was very young. Then played cello in primary and secondary school. Won a scholarship for lessons but then stopped when the lessons became too expensive. And that was the end of my music playing! Shame really.

I come from a very musical family. My Father is a professional musician and can play many instruments. He had a band that toured the world and also played in theatre companies. My younger sister is also fantastic, especially at piano and mandolin. I'd say if I lived with my Dad for longer I would have been a lot more musical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

No but I have a lovely decorative guitar in my flat. Makes me look soulful.

Maybe its time to take it down and play it, what do you think ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Maybe its time to take it down and play it, what do you think ?.

Too late now, I'll wake the neighbours.

Too late now, I'll wake the neighbours.

Sure every-one loves music :)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

I used to play the tin whistle when I was a kid, forgot it all lol

I'm currently learning to play the guitar and keyboard, why's strumming so hard? I just hate picks so use my fingers.. Other than strumming I'm not too bad.. But giving that it's one of the main components needed to play it, I guess I'm awful lol

My course is music so I've no choice but to put away a few hours for both, sometimes it doesn't feel like college work as I find it to be too much fun :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

gazzamc wrote: »

I'm currently learning to play the guitar and keyboard, why's strumming so hard? I just hate picks so use my fingers.. Other than strumming I'm not too bad.. But giving that it's one of the main components needed to play it, I guess I'm awful lol

My course is music so I've no choice but to put away a few hours for both, sometimes it doesn't feel like college work as I find it to be too much fun :P
    Really cool. What course is it you're studying may I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

ROAAAR wrote: »
    Really cool. What course is it you're studying may I ask?

Music Tech & Production, the keyboard is required for music theory, but i just decided to learn the guitar with it because it can't hurt to know how to play two instruments.

gazzamc wrote: »

I could never get used to the picks/plectrums either, especially for the classical guitar, so I grew my finger-nails to feel the real instrument of which is a lot better. I do get slagged though for having 5 long nails on my right hand. A small price to pay for comfort playing though.

And no, I'm not freddy krueger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

ROAAAR wrote: »
    I'm sure there'll be loads of people ready to make a joke about playing their flute, so let's get that out of the way :p
    I play a few instruments but would only really be solid playing the guitar and even at that it's something I'll constantly be trying to master my whole life. In the future I hope to take some drum lessons. I've been at a couple of small gigs and a good drummer is something that really impresses me.
    I'd be interested to know what instrument people would like to be a master at if they could just pick one. The guitar is obviously very popular but even from just having a look on YouTube some of the rarer instruments played are really amazing to listen to when you hear someone play it brilliantly.
    Yes Violin. I did the grade but stopped before diploma level but I only play every few weeks or months at best now. It's an instrument that you need to really do everyday to keep your hands pliable. My hands are not strong enough for guitar. I tried it and the mandolin at one point!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

guitar, bass, mandolin, bouzouki, tenor guitar.....

a little flute, tin whistle & harmonica.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

a little flute,

Fife? Piccolo? You'll need to be more specific!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Piano, guitar and bass.

Quite good on piano, play enough guitar to get me through gigs (back when I did gigs) and very basic bass.

Boyfriend's fantastic on bass, guitar and drums, so he's helping me to get better on the bass. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Tin Whistle, keyboards, button accordion (not great but can play a tune), had a cheap Saxophone as a child which I loved to play, was able to play songs on it, thanks to the school I went to learning us how to play the tin whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Guitar. I used to be able to play the tin whistle years ago.

Advertisement